The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Next car

Guest Chrisc1992

Guest Chrisc1992

Admiral I just put in toyota supra twin turbo.

There a amp models etc on there but just said its a twin with no RZ etc

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What insurance did you got with ripped_fear? And what do you mean when you say risk with the conversion

I have just done a quote with a tt and it's coming in full comp 2346 and 382 a month but if I drop to tptf it will be cheaper?

I'm 25 and pay £500 a year on a UK Spec (which are cheaper to insure than imports). When I put TPFT out of interest, it puts my quote up. I've had the car since I was 22 and I paid £800 the first year. The car did cost more than the equivalent J-spec though.

What insurance did you got with ripped_fear? And what do you mean when you say risk with the conversion

I have just done a quote with a tt and it's coming in full comp 2346 and 382 a month but if I drop to tptf it will be cheaper?

Ive been insured with Adrian Flux, and now Sky. Cant recommend sky enough, paying 450 this year on my NA all mods declared. 7 years no claims and they mirror my no claims on my daily driver.

Risk- obviously you'd be buying an unkown engine, the 2jzgte block is a strong old lump but lots but I know of four people who have had to fork out £££ with problems with there unkown engine, one person spending near on 11k. I will let them chip in as there a member ;)

Guest Chrisc1992

The thing I have to take into account is I have only got 1 years NCB so I'm a fairly new driver.

So what you guys recommending the TT that is had a quote for or the NA? The TT quote was fully comp

Guest Chrisc1992

Also just look at admiral again and all the rest of the cars when I put in supra it comes up with twin turbo imp in brackets but the tt I selected didn't have the imp so assume it was the uk model

Also just look at admiral again and all the rest of the cars when I put in supra it comes up with twin turbo imp in brackets but the tt I selected didn't have the imp so assume it was the uk model

Some insurers confuse the Mkiv for a mkiii on the paperwork, so it might be worth a call to get a quote you can be certain of :)

Risk- obviously you'd be buying an unkown engine, the 2jzgte block is a strong old lump but lots but I know of four people who have had to fork out £££ with problems with there unkown engine, one person spending near on 11k. I will let them chip in as there a member ;)

Well technically it is no different to buying a second hand car, so the risks are the same.

The actual risk is who does the conversion, same as if you buy a car which has been serviced badly by a garage, not looked after etc.

Personally don't focus much on the conversion, you can look into it when the time comes. Right now you need to work out your budget. If you have a very healthy budget & have decent RWD experience then get a TT. If you don't have much experience driving a NA, this doesn't mean the NA is less risky when pushing it but it is more manageable.

Hunt around for insurance, you'd be surprised how cheap these cars are to insure.

Good luck & welcome to the club Chris.

Guest Chrisc1992

Cheers guys glad to be here!

I will keep my eye open and keep hunting for the cheapest insurance.

I will let you now the outcome and get some pics up when I have found the right one.

What supras do you guys own uks or imp?

Import here, totally down to preference. Also once you hit over 26 insurance is pretty much barely a difference between the two.

Have a read of the super differences in the newbie thread.

Hi Chris im 22 been driving 5-years i've been quoted under 1000 a year, i looked at na insurance and there was only 100 between them at most, i do have 5 years no claims but its food for though to look at TT insurance. ( btw this was on jap models so imports as there always more expensive :( ) o and too add these were quotes with wheels and engine mods attached

Hi Chris im 22 been driving 5-years i've been quoted under 1000 a year, i looked at na insurance and there was only 100 between them at most, i do have 5 years no claims but its food for though to look at TT insurance. ( btw this was on jap models so imports as there always more expensive :( ) o and too add these were quotes with wheels and engine mods attached

This.

I got my insurance last year for around 1k at the age of 21.

It was a 3rd car on a policy so there was a little discount.

TT auto j spec.

Cheap (in comparison) insurance is out there. You just got to look around. :)

Well technically it is no different to buying a second hand car, so the risks are the same.

The actual risk is who does the conversion, same as if you buy a car which has been serviced badly by a garage, not looked after etc.

To a point this is true, but at least with a used car you can see and find the history of the car, you can also try the car out along with doing inspections.

Most of the TT lumps from companies have either been pulled from unkown cars or are imported from japan, there-fore millage is probably sceptical along with not having any history on the engine and you can see or hear it running. Slightly different if its coming from a car you know or is known on here but still more risks.

Guest supraKING

ive been looking about as well mate, just in the process of sellimg my car then il be ready to buy a supra, have been looking online, pistonheads seem to be have a monopoly from one dealer. not too much about on ebay, but il be specifically looking for a manual twin turbo

Guest Chrisc1992

Just out of interest would it be easier to buy an auto and convert to a manual as there are more autos on the market