The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre recommendations

Cipriani

t1R's are a great tyre, loads of grip in the dry and are OK in the rain - They don't last very long though (at least not on a single).

Surely Jon, any tyre you use, will not last long..!!

Yeah. Had them about 2 weeks and already astonished at the grip compared to Avon ZZ3s and Falken 452s. Wet and dry. Appreciate the reccomendation H.

Welcome. You can only call them as you find them. If it wasn't for Ian Ian, I wouldn't have got them.

I don't get the flaken 452 thing, I find them terrible . poor grip , take a lifetime to warm up and last about 20 mins

what size tyres do you actually need?

I used to argue that they were a good tyre as when they were new, they seemed to be ok. I never drove in the wet or damp conditions so only really saw them in the dry. I have now used the car in a variety of weathers and have Vreds on the back (the 452's only lasted 6K miles) and my original Falkens on the front. In the wet, the car is under steering round tight corners as the Vreds on the back have so much grip. I can get her to spin but it isn't easy, especially in the dry.

H.

It's strange the Vredestein Ultra Sessanta only has a wet grip rating of C

I would personally go with the Contact sport 5 with wet grip rating of A and only £122

Got Contis on the Volvo and love them. Not sure I will pay extra for them when they need replacing as it is a works car and performance is not top priority. They have lasted well too considering the amount of grip. Not sure why the Vreds have a C rating as I have found them to be excellent. They do spin a bit now when setting off and giving it heavy foot, although with 400hp (ish) I am not surprised. As they wear they seem to be slightly less grippy in the wet. There is probably about 3 - 4 mm left on them.

H.

What size are the Volvo tyres ?

I possibly need two tyres on my BMW, the fronts are 235 40 18, i think i'll be going

the Conti 5 route at £122 each

The Sessanta's are £91 each so would be £124 on a set of 4 which for the difference

just isn't worth the saving, especially if they wear out quicker too.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

What size are the Volvo tyres ?

I possibly need two tyres on my BMW, the fronts are 235 40 18, i think i'll be going

the Conti 5 route at £122 each

The Sessanta's are £91 each so would be £124 on a set of 4 which for the difference

They are 235/40/18's. I may actually try the Vreds to see how they compare overall. I have the car for three years so it can be a scientific test.

H.

The wear out time is what worries me about the vred's, I have had no problems with running Hankooks ventus V12's, they have better ratings than the Vred's too for fuel and rain etc.

We could always try the Achillies sport jobs but how good are they ?

they're one of the cheapest tyres listed on camskill, in 225 45 18 their £48

A few reviews say they're great some say they're crap but most say they get big

miles out of them which sounds like they must be too hard too me and possibly

have poor grip in the wet and dry if you push it on a little or have to stop in a hurry

• 1 month later...

I was looking for a tyre thread and was kindly shown this one. I have used continental sport contact 2, I like matching my tyres all round. I recently started looking for some rear tyres as they wear around twice as quick as the fronts. I have been looking at all ranges but would prefer getting continentals again just to have the same all around but at the same time am tempted to try these vred that a lot of you guys are mentioning. Are they budget mid range or top? My tyres are 275/30/19 and most places want £200/£250 a tyre.

Had both Vredestein on my Merc and Conti 5.

Id say the better overall tyre would be the Conti, however the Vredestein gave better feedback and were more point to point as opposed to vague through the steering compared to the Contis.

I saw someone mentioned tyreleader website and it is by far the cheapest for tyres. I have tried blackcircle, other well known websites, locals stores, costco and ebay but all are more expensive. Am not sure what to go for, the pirelli p zero nero gt are the same price as the vredestein ultrac sessanta. They dont stock continentals though! I really appreciate all your feedbacks and response as it helps a lot. Oh and I forgot to mention but I only bring the car out in the summer and most drives are in the dry so am not concerned about wet weather driving too much. Thank you