The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stevens 6 Speed VVTI twin turbo..

StevenOd

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 years later...

As you can see from my previous posts I managed to get all the black paint off the spark plug cover, However it was still pretty dull and wasnt happy with it. It was time for a major overhaul! Upon having my timing belt and water belt changed I also went a bit OTT with the engine bay. Under the spark plug cover it was showing its age. Wiring loom and plugs were pretty brittle. These were all renewed and tidied up along with new cam cover seals and nuts and bolts. Cam covers were sent off and powder coated, To finish it off one nice new spark plug cover all the way from Japan :) Also a few parts that have been changed which might be noticed in the pics are, Whifbitz turbo hoses to renew the old oem hoses that tend to collapse over the years and who cant notice the new shiney TRD strut brace ;)

image image image image

Edited by StevenOd (see edit history)

So what else has been done? Like everyone else with JSpec brakes you will never be happy with them nor was I.. So they also had to go :p I managed to get hold of a set of the much larger calipers for a good price and gave them a refurb before fitting them. Hope you enjoy the new upgrade!

Edited by StevenOd (see edit history)

So where do we go from here? Disks and pads. Thought id splash out and get EBC brakes. I opted for the drilled and vented disks with red stuff pads. Looks good however we will see how they look in a years time.. Also went ahead and fitted HEL brake hoses too just to renew the old brake hoses than can collapse over time.

image image

As per my previous post.. Thought I would opt for the slightly dearer brand EBC over OEM I cant recommend this. I learned the hard way, After a year of road use ( No track ) these discs ended up very badly pitted and worn. Being a mechanic for many years I've never seen disc wear occur this fast on a set of discs. I've seen cars with 25K plus miles on a set of discs and have better life than these! So just to advise if you are ever going for a set of pads and disks, Get confused by all the choices if you are just using your Supra for the road, OEM is always the best way. What a better quality brake life I have had with the Toyota parts.

Hi there great to see an update after so long.

Looking at your post#60 the disc has been put on the wrong side of the car.

The sweeps/ slots are suppose to go from the outside of the disc edge, sweeping forward (towards front of car), in towards the hub with direction of travel.

If you put them on backwards they will get ruined pretty damn quickly.