Episode II A New Hope

jim

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oops, no idea how that came up as question marks H, I've had to dl Tapatalk to post from my new phone and it was supposed to be a smilie, d'oh!! Sounds completely different with ??? at the end lol

Cheers David :)

I've done some bits and pieces in the bay Carlo, carbon cooling plate and stainless nuts & bolts and given it a good scrub but I'd rather get it how i want it before posting pics, na bays in stock form aren't too impressive lol :)

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more progress this weekend... I'd already changed one of my front calipers for mot when I bought it, but recently the other has been sticking and it was brakes that were the recurring problem with my last one and the main 'weakness' of the car. So rather than refurbing or buying yet another j-spec caliper I decided it's definitely more economical (hopefully) to invest in proper brakes.

So, I got a set of lexus calipers which were fitted yesterday and have made me happy lol, it's the simple things... :D I got a bargain, £65 posted for the pair (off a '99 vvti ls400) including good as new pads and the mounting bolts. I bought new mounting bolts anyway and got a great deal on a decent set of new discs, the total cost of the conversion was £65 for calipers & pads, £88 for discs, £30 labour for fitting and £8 for new mounting bolts, total £190. They cleaned up very well and I painted them grey to tie in with the colour of the car.

Lol :D actually, the fog lifting has had a big impact on my wee projects - no jokes I've had a set of wheels in bits in the kitchen since November that have now been primed and sanded and were left off for colour last week, the calipers arrived on Friday night and were cleaned, wire brushed and painted and then fitted yesterday, the car's been washed to within an inch of its life usually twice a week, I've fitted the carbon bits and replaced the bolts for stainless in the engine bay etc etc etc it's been quite a change from my manyana (manana) attitude of the past 20 years :)

I got my wheels back from the powder coaters yesterday, I have to say I'm delighted with them, they've come out much better than I'd hoped :cool: They're sepang bronze metallic (a bmw colour), I need to try to ignore the football for a night and get on with finishing cleaning up the split rim bolts so that I can get them rebuilt, tyres fitted and onto the car. I really hope the colour goes with 6no. A few pics :)

WP_20140616_18_50_51_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20140616_18_52_11_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20140616_18_53_09_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20140616_18_52_51_Pro[1].jpg

Cheers bud :) wheels aren't perfect by any means but they were very badly pitted and have come out amazingly well considering what they looked like last week even after high build primer. It's worth checking ebay and gumtree for ls400 breakers, I assumed postage costs would make them un-economical but my price (£65) included postage. If you need any help trying to keep postage costs down (as in getting them sent to NI first then on to you down there) give us a shout.

• 2 weeks later...

Quickly got bored with trying to clean up the old bolts so decided to splash out on a set of new gold bolts and new nuts to go with them. They arrived today so hopefully the wheels will be rebuilt this week :)

WP_20140628_19_07_45_Pro.jpg

WP_20140628_18_57_58_Pro.jpg

• 1 month later...