The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need better brakes for mi single turbo Supra what is your advice ?

Batmax

Yes, Greddy used the Alcon kit, be aware replacement discs and bells are possibly more expensive than many will suspect, so make sure they do not need refurbing, or get prices first. Excellent kit though, you get what you pay for with brakes and clutches. IMHO anything not AP, Brembo or Alcon is not worth having on a decent modern performance car.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not, apart from wheel size to accommodate them there's probably far too much rear bias due to the differing weight distributions of the Supra and the transaxled GTR. You could perhaps use the front discs and calipers, you'd need to do the maths. I think people in the US`are using the Cadillac front calipers (same as the GTR's) on other things. A 360mm disc should be more than adequate for a MKIV though.

IMHO anything not AP, Brembo or Alcon is not worth having on a decent modern performance car.

Great advice. :thumbs: For anything other than serious Track use a proper UK setup is more than adequate (even the num brothers use a UK setup on their track cars).

I made the mistake of going for KAD Brakes over a well setup UK - that was a major let down.

imi

What about KSports? They seem to be well priced and look pretty decent

Has anyone tried ordering spares for K-Sport brakes? This is often where budget brands really fall short.

With safety critical components like brakes and tyres, I wouldn't even consider buying a budget brand.

What about KSports? They seem to be well priced and look pretty decent

I have K-Sports (356mm discs, 8-pot front / 4-pot rear) as an upgrade from stock UK specs and in my opinion they are exactly that - an upgrade. I have the standard discs with uprated pads and a braced master cylinder and they are infinitely better than the previous setup I had. :) Certainly I've never encountered a problem reigning in Suki's 700-odd bhp with them! :D

Price up replacement discs and pads for both AP and Alcon kits, that may help you decide. The pads the AP kits come with are pretty dire, they deserve Performance Friction pads, which are much MUCH better. Not sure what compound pads the Alcons come with these days.

The pads are originally a bit crap - when i changed mine last year i upgraded to the Pagid RS4-2 race pads which are superb.

You DO NOT want drilled discs. They will have a much reduced life and wear out the pads much faster. Modern pad compounds do not need drilled discs, and they are thermally inferior to plain or slotted ones. They are really for wet racing and should be considered sacrificial. One wet race can see off a pair of drilled discs. I have dozens of dead ones here, cracked after one wet F3 race. Plain or a modest amount of slots are what you want. The Chinese calipers often have a very small choice of pad compounds and the calipers are floppy, especially when hot. The discs themselves are probably made of melted down bicycles. The AP, Brembo and Alcon front and rear calipers are used across a wide range of road car kits and should have excellent re-sale value. I can probably find some usable AP discs when the new ones are knackered. You can easily get new piston and seal kits for the "big 3" makes. And replacement discs. Matching the El Cheapo ones can be a nightmare.

I'd say first look at some basics like ensuring your brakes are well bled and the master cylinder seals are good, the TT supra has some of the best stock brakes in the world and it sounds like there is something off. Massive brake upgrades look awesome but will problably do very little to shorten your stopping distance, what they allow is repeatabillity long after the stock system would have become heat soaked and faded.

Do you have stainless brake lines, they made a massive difference in the pedal feel on mine for not much money. Trust Chris, a set of upgraded pads discs and lines on the stock system should be all a street car really needs.