The mkiv Supra Owners Club

novise advice needed!

Guest brandon123

Guest brandon123

no I actually am dyslexic struggled at school from start to finish nothing to do with that I couldn't be arsed and if I couldn't be arsed I wouldn't be in the job im in today sorry if you think other wise

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest brandon123

sorry I didn't mean a full replica all I want really is the body work to look the same bumpers, bonnets,wings,spoilers,side skirts

I didn't say I wanted 1000bhp either I asked if it was possible as another forums stated it was possible which is why I asked

I am looking for 600-700bhp maybe 800bhp pushing it

Guest brandon123

Oh calm down.

You came asking for advice, we gave you some, 10k and 1000bhp isn't going to happen.

You haven't answered my question as to why you want such a huge amount of power.

I don't I don't want 1000bhp I wanted between 600-700bhp 800bhp pushing it(if cost isn't much different to the 600-700bhp)

I asked if the 1000bhp was possible like that forums said it was

Guest brandon123
Your 7th post ended up calling us arseholes. For me, you can feck orf.

maybe I should consider calling you princess? goodbye rather you not reply on this post as the picture of the pie seems more helpful

Guest brandon123
This is true. Why do we answer question anymore? If you search f&f you get several threads the same as this one. Nothing ever comes of the 1000bhp f&f supra idea, we never see one.

To the OP, seriously, answer some questions, tell us what your budget is for the Supra you intend to start on etc and you may be taken more seriously.

im looking at 10k on the engine mods (not inc engine rebuild)

and about 4-8k for the car depending how it looks miles etc

breaks body kit exhaust etc is not inc in these prices above^

total im looking at 25k? maybe more??

and I didn't ask for 1000bhp I asked if it was possible as another site/forum said it was im looking for 600-700bhp maybe 800bhp pushing it I was merely asking what could I get with 10k towards the engine?

sorry I didn't mean a full replica all I want really is the body work to look the same bumpers, bonnets,wings,spoilers,side skirts

I didn't say I wanted 1000bhp either I asked if it was possible as another forums stated it was possible which is why I asked

I am looking for 600-700bhp maybe 800bhp pushing it

It is hard to tell without any of the posts quoted but I assume that chronologically this one is in response to my reply.

Going forward with that I'll suggest that I would adopt precisely the same set of considerations when building a Supra up for 600bhp, 700bhp, 800bhp, 1000bhp etc. etc. Yes these cars can take a massive power hike over stock, but you need to make sure that the engine is in a good state to support it. When the power starts with a 6 and creeps closer to 700bhp, you'll need to start thinking about the engine internals if the engine hasn't been opened up already. That bottom end work added to the cost of building a head for these levels is going to sting any budget.

Even at 600bhp, the cost will be pretty high to do things right. In my opinion, undertaking a build should be done no other way than the right way first time. You could go cheap on certain components and maybe get away with them, but if they fail and you are replacing them (possibly multiple times) it will end up costing the same as buying the better part the first time round. You may get lucky and be successful with cheaper parts if you went that route to stay closer to budget, but it may end up catastrophic and you'd always be wishing that you just stretched the price out a bit more to save the hassle and potential extra expense later on.

As for the bodywork, it is the same sort of script. You'll pick up bumpers for cheaper if getting them 2nd hand, though it may be that the saving is lost with the extra prep to have the bits in a worthwhile condition before going to paint. The cost of paint isn't cheap either if you want the job done well. Though bumpers, bonnet, wings, spoiler, sideskirts is quite a list. That is a full kit and will be pricey even 2nd hand before prep & paint.

There is also a pretty big expense if you want a nice set which is wheels. Have you accounted for a good set of wheels that will allow for wide enough tyres to take 600-700bhp without just constantly spinning? The cost of a clutch to take that power comfortably isn't cheap either. Then you'll want gauges to monitor critical parameters such as oil pressure, AFR, EGT, boost etc. You may need an uprated intercooler from what the car already has (depending on purchased spec), brakes (I'd want UK specs minimum for those power levels). Little things also creep into the costing such as gasket sets, pumps, fasteners. The list goes on and on. This is all assuming that you are leaving the interior stock? If not, you'll be a good bit extra again to factor in new seats + anything else you'd want on the inside.

A better option a lot of the time, unless you really want to do the work yourself to build the car up, would be to buy a ready made single turbo. You could then adjust the bodywork to your own taste. That way though, if you find a good base car, chances are that the original builder of the setup would have accounted for all of these different considerations of the build requirements so that you don't have to. :)

Guest brandon123
Hi Brandon and welcome to the forum.

It isn't a hostile environment here (well, not often ;) ). More that this particular set of questions has cropped up on so many occasions that the answering approach you can observe in your thread is a light ribbing and just a bit of fun. :)

If you picked up all of the necessary parts 2nd hand then you could probably pull out a good setup with high levels of power for that price. The only problem inherited with that is that you are stuffed in terms of warranty and potentially reliability. The parts may be cheap for the reason that they have already been used to within an inch of their life etc. It could be doable though. Just not likely and a loooooooong wait.

As a couple have mentioned above, you could spend £10k on the engine to prep it for such power, though it'd cost a bit to refurbish/rebuild a stock engine in advance of uprating, especially if it is a tired and high mileage example. Who knows the history it may have? You could go 1/3 your engine budget on rebuilding to stock spec. THEN you have all upgrades on top of that.

The costs will keep mounting when you consider the ECU and mapping sessions, turbo choice and all other ancillaries, fuelling system, brakes, suspension, other drivetrain components (clutch, flywheel, diff etc.), TYRES (you can't cheap out on these on stock power, never mind 4 figures of bhp). There is then the rest of the suspension components such as control arms, ARBs etc. etc. etc. that you would need to ensure were in either excellent condition or replaced/uprated as well.

In other words, there are so many things to consider at such a power level that you really don't want to (read: CAN'T) have a weak link in this big chain of items.

Seeing that you want a F&F replica, you'll then need to add the cost of all of the body parts (different bumpers, wing, wheels, paint) which isn't cheap either. If you want to be authentic then you'll need an aerotop model as well. Due to that fact, you'll also need to add £2k-3k+ for a Getrag V160/V161 gearbox if you want the car to be manual rather than automatic as the RHD aerotop models didn't come with the manual box. If you do stay auto, you'll need a built autobox which isn't cheap either.

By all means good luck if you do undertake such a build, but I'd dig a little deeper into your pockets for some more change if you want to do it right. :)

I know im looking in the region of 25k total maybe more for this project im not saying it will be cheap for a 600-700/800 bhp supra I just want to know how much will the engine cost in reality doing all the work my self I was asking if 10k would be enough for the engine mods the body and breaks ect are a issue but not at this point in time the only I don't know what type of supra I have to buy I just basically want the same body kit and colour maybe the decals as they are easy to come by for me the engine and gearbox etc I don't want to be the same as I don't have 150k to spend on a full replica! thanks for the help though much appriciated

Guest brandon123
It is hard to tell without any of the posts quoted but I assume that chronologically this one is in response to my reply.

Going forward with that I'll suggest that I would adopt precisely the same set of considerations when building a Supra up for 600bhp, 700bhp, 800bhp, 1000bhp etc. etc. Yes these cars can take a massive power hike over stock, but you need to make sure that the engine is in a good state to support it. When the power starts with a 6 and creeps closer to 700bhp, you'll need to start thinking about the engine internals if the engine hasn't been opened up already. That bottom end work added to the cost of building a head for these levels is going to sting any budget.

Even at 600bhp, the cost will be pretty high to do things right. In my opinion, undertaking a build should be done no other way than the right way first time. You could go cheap on certain components and maybe get away with them, but if they fail and you are replacing them (possibly multiple times) it will end up costing the same as buying the better part the first time round. You may get lucky and be successful with cheaper parts if you went that route to stay closer to budget, but it may end up catastrophic and you'd always be wishing that you just stretched the price out a bit more to save the hassle and potential extra expense later on.

As for the bodywork, it is the same sort of script. You'll pick up bumpers for cheaper if getting them 2nd hand, though it may be that the saving is lost with the extra prep to have the bits in a worthwhile condition before going to paint. The cost of paint isn't cheap either if you want the job done well. Though bumpers, bonnet, wings, spoiler, sideskirts is quite a list. That is a full kit and will be pricey even 2nd hand before prep & paint.

There is also a pretty big expense if you want a nice set which is wheels. Have you accounted for a good set of wheels that will allow for wide enough tyres to take 600-700bhp without just constantly spinning? The cost of a clutch to take that power comfortably isn't cheap either. Then you'll want gauges to monitor critical parameters such as oil pressure, AFR, EGT, boost etc. You may need an uprated intercooler from what the car already has (depending on purchased spec), brakes (I'd want UK specs minimum for those power levels). Little things also creep into the costing such as gasket sets, pumps, fasteners. The list goes on and on. This is all assuming that you are leaving the interior stock? If not, you'll be a good bit extra again to factor in new seats + anything else you'd want on the inside.

A better option a lot of the time, unless you really want to do the work yourself to build the car up, would be to buy a ready made single turbo. You could then adjust the bodywork to your own taste. That way though, if you find a good base car, chances are that the original builder of the setup would have accounted for all of these different considerations of the build requirements so that you don't have to. :)

ahhh thanks and the paint/primer is all i have to really pay for for the paint as a few of my family members work at nationwide repair center(spray booth)

i have not really looked into the interior either i know i am going for bucket seats don't know if a roll cage will be worth it unless im a speed demon which im not

i was looking at a single turbo but see if its upgradeable to 600/700bhp ill be rebuilding the engine with most new parts i wont be doing the car on the cheap really im looking at 25k total cost the paint is around £500 p/g.

i wasn't really looking for a short term project i was hoping between 1/2 years really as something to do in my spare time

and the body work is not much of a problem as long as the car doesn't have giant holes in ;) thanks for the reply though

i will also be doing the engine right not the cheap way if it costs more then 10k for the mods then that's fine as long as its done right the first time around

(ill be rebuilding the whole engine)

to add im looking at 4-8k for the car depending on condition etc

im looking at 10k on the engine mods (not inc engine rebuild)

and about 4-8k for the car depending how it looks miles etc

breaks body kit exhaust etc is not inc in these prices above^

total im looking at 25k? maybe more??

and I didn't ask for 1000bhp I asked if it was possible as another site/forum said it was im looking for 600-700bhp maybe 800bhp pushing it I was merely asking what could I get with 10k towards the engine?

For £10k on the engine, if you shop around and buy parts 2nd hand while being patient, you will probably have something suitable for 600bhp. It'll be tight when you add all of the little things that I mentioned above.

Say £8k for the car to account for either the cost of buying a TT6 to begin with or to cover the cost of buying a TT Auto & either uprating the box or converting to manual.

Brakes ~£500+; Exhaust ~£300+; Bodykit ~£1k; Paint ~£1.5k; Suspension ~£500+; Wheels ~£1k+; Tyres ~£1k; Intercooler ~£300; Fuel pump, spark plugs etc. (BPU type uprated parts) ~£500.

That is obviously very rough and doesn't include costs for an engine rebuild. Sitting at approximately £25k there whilst being pretty (VERY) ambitious with the engine build costs. That is where a lot of it can creep up quickly. I'm also going bottom end of the scale on prices for the brakes, exhaust etc.

The thing to potentially keep in mind here, again as mentioned in my post above, is the cost of buying a ready made car. You could pick up a nice 600bhp single turbo for probably about £12k if you search hard enough. Add £3k to that for your kit and £2k for wheels and tyres and all of a sudden you are £8k better off by just letting someone else spec the car in the first instance.