The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I hate crank pulleys!

Monkpower

Check the alternator mounting tab on the bottom of the block. (Bottom altenator mounting hole) I hate to say it, but this is more likely to have snapped than the alternator itself. Not that that's the problem, but it's worth checking before deciding on future direction. :)

Yes the lower mounting tab has sheared off from the block. :(

Sorry to hear this mate, I would be concerned as to why this one broke up into pieces.

I have been making cutting tools for 29 years with sizes similar to the crank pulleys diameter and bore sizes, balanced to run at speeds of upto 15000 rpm, never had one let go like that. I can only think that the material the pulleys are made from are sintered metal and had a flaw. Normal steel would not explode like that.

Let me know if you need any help bud.

If you have a piece of it left, let me have a look at it when I next see you.

Sorry to hear this mate, my crank went on me back in feb, i brought mine from keron and its been sound scine, but after reading this i will be keeping a close eye on it.

Hope you sort it out mate, and there good lads on hear that will help you out as much as they can.

Had the new part been off and on again in between fitting and failure, maybe to replace the timing belt?

If so did anyone use a blowtorch on the crank pulley bolt?

No it hadn't been off. It was fitted at Whifbitz so i'm sure they did a good job.

I would suggest the nose of the crank, or the Woodruff key way is damaged and the dampers are coming loose and failing. Have fitted 3 dampers this year on engines that REALLY should have had a new crank, but the cost was prohibitive, so Loctite Bearing Fit, a new Woodruff key, and a few prayers from the owner were the cheap way forward. Next time the damper needs to come off though, it will prove challenging for someone! :(

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

I would suggest the nose of the crank, or the Woodruff key way is damaged and the dampers are coming loose and failing. Have fitted 3 dampers this year on engines that REALLY should have had a new crank, but the cost was prohibitive, so Loctite bearing fit a new Woodruff key, and a few prayers from the owner were the way forward. Next time the damper needs to come off will prove challenging for someone though :(

We had a chat in the tea room about the same possible thing with crank damage and the woodruff key worn which would cause it. We have contacted Mr.monk to see what he wants to do but we only really want to fit a freshened up second hand engine for our peace of mind.

I would suggest the nose of the crank, or the Woodruff key way is damaged and the dampers are coming loose and failing. Have fitted 3 dampers this year on engines that REALLY should have had a new crank, but the cost was prohibitive, so Loctite Bearing Fit, a new Woodruff key, and a few prayers from the owner were the cheap way forward. Next time the damper needs to come off though, it will prove challenging for someone! :(

Thing is, the key should only be there for alignment. The loads should be reacted through the bolt and the friction between the pulley and the crank. Once the bolt is tight it shouldn't matter if the there was no key in there at all.

If the bolt has relaxed it might not be applying the proper clamp load, which would indicate that the bolt should be replaced each time the pulley is removed (which isn't bad practise for yield-tightened fasteners, anyway, although you can usually get away with a couple of re-uses).

If the nose is damaged, on the other hand, allowing the pulley to be fitted with some eccentricity, that may well make it come loose. I would have thougth you would have felt the vibration, though.

Faulty crank pulley perhaps, was it a genuine Toyota one or a copy.

I can't see how a good one would fall apart unless it wasn't true on the

crank, in which i mean the centre bore is out of true with the rest of the

pulley

Toyota part should have 1 year warranty on it i think

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)