The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steering wheel shake problem

Twisted

It's bad enough using rims that NEED spigot adaptor rings. Let alone using them WITHOUT the rings fitted. Without them you risk wheel stud failure, and will almost certainly never achieve a repeatable wheel balance. Personally I'd like to see government legislation on aftermarket wheels, where safety came first, and good taste a close second ;)

So it has spigot rings in there. They seem to fit quite snug. Just got the wheels rebalanced for free (it was free the first time as well) and its made a difference. It is better at 70mph but still not great when it gets to 80/90mph. One thing that was noticed before, a few of the wheel nuts are odd. The bloke in the garage thinks it could be because of this. As in they might not be holding the wheel on quite right. So I'm going to buy a whole set of nice new wheels nuts, change them over and see if that makes any difference.

Sorted it as of a few days ago but I was just too lazy to post about it. It was as me and the bloke in the garage suspected. Wheels nuts needed changing. I had these stupid things called "wobble nuts" or something like that. They look really flimsy and are a pretty stupid design. Their purpose (for anyone who doesn't know) are to pull wheels straight that have a slightly wrong offset. The tapered part of the but wobbles about as if the nut is in two pieces.

The wall around the thread is so thin that 3 of the nuts were actually split!! On the front as well. To add to this there was one odd nut that as still a wobble nut to just smaller. I'll post up a couple pics later if anyone would like to see?

You mean they are those abortions that are "designed" to accomodate rims with the wrong stud PCD. This "cure" shows that the wheel nuts are locating the rims concentrically and not the spigots on the hubs. The wobble may have gone, but I suspect the set up is still, from an engineering point of view, dangerous.

You mean they are those abortions that are "designed" to accomodate rims with the wrong stud PCD. This "cure" shows that the wheel nuts are locating the rims concentrically and not the spigots on the hubs. The wobble may have gone, but I suspect the set up is still, from an engineering point of view, dangerous.

:iagree:

So if its not the wheel nuts, not the balancing, and the car has just passed MOT with no advisories and no play in anything to do with the wheels. Then what could it possibly be?

I'm very lost here, the wheel balancing is fine, the wheels are straight (checked on the balancing machine) so the wheels themselves are fine, the tyres are fine. I fail to see a problem anymore. Nothing is loose on the wheel hub assembly.

i think i read you say that all 4 wheels are the same and the tyres are just narrower on the front

if i were you id swap front to back and see if vibration still occurs

if it does in the same way then you know its hub related, or something else

The wobble nuts 'suggest' the wheels are not the correct ie 114 5 pcd?

When you took off the old nuts and replaced with new ones can you remember if the wheel studs were all central in the wheel holes? The wobble nuts I think are used to allow you to put on wheels with say 112x5 pcd.

Have you checked the inside of the wheels to see what is stamped on them?

If they are true and balanced as you say and if they are 114x5 pcd and if the spigot rims are tight to the hub and tight to the wheels then it's not unsafe.

As Scooter says above, you need to check the PCD of your wheels, if you have the wrong

PCD and are now using normal wheel nuts the wheels will not be correctly fitted to the car.

I'd be checking this asap, if the wheels have the wrong PCD then the normal wheel nuts

will be trying to pull the studs either inward or outward

Here's a bit of a sketch to show what i mean hopefully

The wheel is in black showing the hole, the stud is red and

the nut in blue, if the pcd of the wheel is too big or too small

the chamfer on the nut will try to pull the stud over because

its not sitting in the centre of the hole in the wheel.

Hence the wobble nuts were fitted

wrong pcd.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Is it common practice for manufacturers to make a wheel that has everything the same size apart from a couple mil difference on the PCD?

Reason I asked, after measuring, but not being 100% confident with my accuracy I searched online for the wheels and every set I found had the correct PCD for a supra.

I also have a suspicion that someone had alloys on there before that weren't quite right for the supra and had those wobble bolts on there. Then the wheels were changed but the bolts weren't.

Edited by Twisted (see edit history)

The easiest thing to do is jack the car up and undo all 5 wheel

nuts, make sure the wheel is sitting flat against the hub and do

up all the nuts finger tight.

It should be pretty obvious if the tapers on the nuts are

sitting correctly in the tapers in the wheel holes

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)