The mkiv Supra Owners Club

5 Speed TT's

charlton

Don't deal with recently banned member Johnsupra1, in case you've already been talking to him.

He is selling these items but he is Nizam and is selling dreadfully worn out boxes.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?285026-Palletised-Box-or-Plastic-Box-needed-up-north-asap

A very near miss on my part, I'm ashamed to say.

F*ck you Niz, tosser.:p

There are a fair few that have got away with running much more, Craig being the one that springs to mind, 500bhp (Na-T) and as you will remember from the Dragonball, he is not shy on the throttle

From what I have been told and read, flat changing and hard downshifts really are a no no and you need to start with a good condition box

Thay are certainly rapid to 100 mark, the lower ratio set up should make them nipper than a 6-speed

Craig's NA-T had oil peeing out every where. Not sure if I fancy that.

Can you explain what you mean by "flat changing"?

The 5 speed is also a much nicer box to drive with than the 6

This is why I want a 5 speed. Nippy low down and not notchy. I want a Supe that I actually enjoy driving compared to polishing and looking at.

It is the Torque more than the power that Kill's the 5 speed boxes, means you just have to not bang the clutch in every time you change gear and as someone else said no hard down changes otherwise it'll just blow it's guts everywhere.

I assume drag racing is a no no then? I don't want a car that I am frightened of breaking. I am not sure if I can achieve my goals with the Supe.

They ain't within an ass's roar of the price of a 6 speed.

Trust me, I just bought one!

And personally I don't need or want a 6 speed for what I use the car for, sixth would be unused for starters, unless I DIDN'T convert my final gear ratio, in which case the clutch pedal would be depressed for half of every lap and there is a considerable weight difference between an R154 and the getrag box.

R154 makes a great deal of sense if converting either a manual or auto NA-T/NA-TT, the box matches the diff ratio better which keeps the cost of the conversion lower still.

Pedro. If you were me what would you do. Go TT and TTC with a 5 speed or small single? I want a car that drives like an NA up to around 3K and then goes like a rocket after that.

Not everyone is aiming for eleventy million horsepower.

Some people might actually be satisfied with 500-600 horses.

The R154 has that covered easily.

My R154 conversion will cost me somewhere in the region of £1200.

Thats the proper box with an uprated thrust washer on first gear, shifter, bellhousing, new clutch, new lightweight flywheel, new slave cylinder, prop.

All fitted.

How is that not a considerable saving over a Getrag?

On what car is is the R154? I have seen loads of threads with different gear boxes mentioned but I never take any notice.

Edited by Havard (see edit history)

Flat Changing is slaming through the gears without really lifting the throttle, not something that is recommended on any box really, but it done

The Oil leak wasn't Gearbox related from memory

Aah, right. I class that as just "abuse" of a car. The oil was turbo seals but it still put me off going NA-T

H.

Not everyone is aiming for eleventy million horsepower.

Some people might actually be satisfied with 500-600 horses.

The R154 has that covered easily.

My R154 conversion will cost me somewhere in the region of £1200.

Thats the proper box with an uprated thrust washer on first gear, shifter, bellhousing, new clutch, new lightweight flywheel, new slave cylinder, prop.

All fitted.

How is that not a considerable saving over a Getrag?

Reason I say this is because iv not seen a r154 conversion lower than 2.5k recently an the 6 speed iv seen full conversions for 3k so it makes sense really.

You got a good deal for 1200 as iv not seen a FULL conversion for that price anywhere!

Pedro. If you were me what would you do. Go TT and TTC with a 5 speed or small single? I want a car that drives like an NA up to around 3K and then goes like a rocket after that. On what car is is the R154? I have seen loads of threads with different gear boxes mentioned but I never take any notice.

I look on the R154 as everyone does on the Getrag, they don't lose value and there will always be a market for them.

For the intended engine power you're describing H an R154 would do the job nicely, there is no question about that.

However, small singles do sometimes make way for bigger and an R154 bolted to a 2JZ will start to feel the pressure if this happens.

If you stay TT or BPU or anything to do with the stock twin setup then R154.

If a single is a genuine possibility then Getrag, the extra cost of the 6 speed conversion is not a lot when added to the total cost of a proper single build, if you can afford one, you can afford the other:D and once the 6 speed is in place you can modify your kit to your heart's content safe in the knowledge that the drivetrain is ready to take it.

I know that sounds like a contradiction to what I said earlier but what applies to me may not apply to another. My car has a very specific role to play.

A genuine small single build is no problem for an R154, you just have to know that you'll be happy with that turbo from then on.

The proper R154 box, shifter and bellhousing are to be found in late model manual soarers (JZZ30) and manual chasers (JZX90 & 100) both with the 1JZ engine.

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

I would say yes drag racing would be a no no on a 5 speed unless your going to drag race like Abz ;)

Chap above me makes a very good point it all depends on your needs, I loved the 6 speed box, love the big mechanical clunk you get when you put it into gear. Loved my 5 speed as well they are beautiful smooth boxes, and the auto TT's I've been out in have been awesome, speaking of which John Bailey (jcbt) is his forum name I think is running a T04z at 607bhp 550 lb ft, when Ryan mapped that car I believed he used the Syvecs to cut the Torque in between gear changes to help sabe the box, maybe you could do that with a 5 speed then again by the time you've got Syvecs and a 5 speed you might as well of got yourself a 6 speed, so just ignore me :D

Reason I say this is because iv not seen a r154 conversion lower than 2.5k recently an the 6 speed iv seen full conversions for 3k so it makes sense really.

You got a good deal for 1200 as iv not seen a FULL conversion for that price anywhere!

I didn't say thats what I bought the complete kit for, I said thats what it will cost me once its all in place.;)

I didn't say thats what I bought the complete kit for, I said thats what it will cost me once its all in place.;)

Would 2k be a sensible price for viper's kit then? I know he spent a fortune on the parts, but if you paid 1200 then something doesn't seem right?

Pedro said his conversion owes him 1200. Same thing dude.

Not really mate, I will have a full auto to W58 conversion complete with clutch, flywheel & pedals to sell on afterwards.

This is whats bringing my overall spend down to about £1200. Rough figures.

Viper dropped from £2000 ages ago, keep up or talk to him directly.:D

How much do you think your get for the w58 components?

Maybe half of what I paid for the R154 kit.:D

I'll leave it at that for now until I figure out what I'll actually have for sale at the end of it all.

I need to determine if I can actually honestly describe it as a MKIV conversion, if not I may list it elsewhere as conversion for other Toyota auto models.

Maybe half of what I paid for the R154 kit.:D

I'll leave it at that for now until I figure out what I'll actually have for sale at the end of it all.

I need to determine if I can actually honestly describe it as a MKIV conversion, if not I may list it elsewhere as conversion for other Toyota auto models.

Don't the Lexus IS300s have a 2JZ-GE engine? Plenty of scope for selling a w58 I think.

What else do you need to get if you have a 58 already and want to go 154?

Don't the Lexus IS300s have a 2JZ-GE engine? Plenty of scope for selling a w58 I think.

What else do you need to get if you have a 58 already and want to go 154?

Well the gearbox (obviously:D), suitable bell housing, slave cylinder, slave cylinder line, clutch, flywheel (not sure if the NA flywheel is compatible, I bought a new one anyway), front half of prop, gearbox mount, crossmember.

Depending on the donor car all of the above parts could be available or you may need to source some seperately.

If the R154 you get is the early type then you'll need to move the shifter to the proper location with either a modification to the existing shifter or the proper cradle as found on the later models.

Early type box will also need an adaptor for the speedo feed as it was a mechanical, rather than electrical, feed as far as I know.