The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra vvti triptronic...pls comment

mikail

I think it all really comes down to what 'you' actually want the car for really, and be honest with your ultimate intentions and aspirations too.

All of the turbo variants are really great cars with there being very little to actually choose between them really, both have positives and negatives aspects.

Some of the positives and negatives with either variant will ultimately come down to 'your' own personal preference, as some people prefer certain things more than others (impossible to generalise really).

In my personal experience......

If you will be driving it in heavy traffic everyday in built up areas, I personally would go for an automatic for an easy life cruising around you simply can't beat it. (Long distance driving my left foot used to go to sleep may be just me).

If you want a real driving experience you should go for the manual 6 speed, as they really do offer a different feel to an automatic. Although they are in my opinion more tiresome in traffic, but not really any more so than any other manual car I guess.

If you’re planning on modifying the supra you eventually buy then the non VVT-i will be much easier, simpler and cheaper in the long run, but there isn't much in it nowadays with nearly everything being achievable with a VVT-i as long as you have the pockets to fore fill your intended dreams.

What I have owned personally……

I have personally owned a 1998 RZ-S Facelift VVT-i Tiptronic Twin Turbo, which I sold to buy a 1995 Pre Facelift RZ 6 Speed Twin Turbo.

I only changed it as I wanted to build a big twin or big single......

The 6 speed offered much more potential on the stock drive train for big hp, and more importantly the potential tuning options available have all been tried and tested on multiple platforms making aftermarket part purchases much more straight forward eliminating any trial and error to achieve your power goal.

A non VVT-i will make all the power you will ever want for real world driving conditions, and in my opinion for the added extra potential of things going wrong why would you bother with the VVT-i. (NB: Again, it really does depend on what type of power delivery you would like to achieve and what power levels you will strive to achieve in the future, as there are benefits to a system using infinitely adjustable intake timing on the fly in real world driving conditions).

Tiptronic versus Standard Auto……

Apart from the standard Drive (D) function.

All you are obviously getting is the novelty of changing gear without having to shift the shifter in the manual mode, which is great fun I must admit, but to be honest I never really bothered using it enough to warrant having it.

So for me it was all about the newer vehicle being the selling point over the standard older automatic versions, due to the vehicles general condition and lower mileage being much more attractive.

I have been lucky enough to have also driven a Facelift 1996 RZ-S Standard Auto Twin Turbo, and this was a pleasure to drive and I never felt the need to want more from the box at all.

The car you are looking at……

1) x reg triptronic vvti with 50000 miles on the clock. Its a gun metal grey with a body kit fitted in japan i think its bomex.

My opinion = 7.5K for a spotless 2000 model, with excellent service history is about the money as long as it was completely stock OEM. (Cheap and nasty kits in my opinion devalue the vehicle and limit the potential market for new owners, but again personal preference).

2) 1 owner last 9 yrs body work is 7.5 out of 10 due for a service and tax is expires in march

5 month mot....engine ia standard....

My opinion = Bodywork not being good is not a good sign of a well looked after vehicle in my opinion, and with the tax out too worth trying to get some money off the asking price. (Are you prepared to rectify the bodywork and will it ultimately bother you, again personal preference).

3) Now i hope you guys can help with some answers.....is it worth it??

My opinion = The year and mileage is what would make it difficult to argue the reduction, but I wouldn’t pay 7.5k unless it was spotless.

4) Is the triptronic as good as the pre-face lift auto?

My opinion = Yes definitely, but they do have the kick down problem as Wile has mentioned. All depends if you will ever push it that hard really, and a replacement isn’t as readily available as a stock Auto Box either so worth considering too.

5) Are they quick as a non vvti?

My opinion = Yes they are as quick, supposedly a little faster pick up with the adjustable intake timing that retards as the revs rise and the vehicle gets up to speed.

6) How reliable are they?

My opinion = Just as reliable as a normal Auto as far as I am aware, although will blow if they kick down as advised.

7) Is it expensive to do a bpu on them?

My opinion = I would say it is slightly more expensive to BPU a VVT-i as some of the parts are different, and do fetch a premium brand new. You also have the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor on a VVT-I to contend with

8) How many members own a vvti triptronic please share your experience.

As you see there are a few members, and I have covered this above.

I hope you find this helpful and best of luck finding the right car. ;)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pudsey thank you for your kind advice....i would love to have a single six speed but i cant afford the maintenance

I would love to have a tt6 again it has to be really mint to pay 7 to 10k for...means more money goin out.....

I feel i will be content with the trip vvti as i would appreciate tha its pulling 340bhp on bpu

And the cost is minimum to maintain...and it will still keep me smiling...if the auto box breaks down do u think it is possible to do a 6 speed conversion??

Pudsey thank you for your kind advice....i would love to have a single six speed but i cant afford the maintenance

I would love to have a tt6 again it has to be really mint to pay 7 to 10k for...means more money goin out.....

I feel i will be content with the trip vvti as i would appreciate tha its pulling 340bhp on bpu

And the cost is minimum to maintain...and it will still keep me smiling...if the auto box breaks down do u think it is possible to do a 6 speed conversion??

Of course it is.... if you got about £4k laying around ;)

But these are Supra's not BMW's so they unless you maintain them badly they are known for reliability.

Everything is of course possible, but in my opinion you really want to avoid the extra cost and hassle of carrying out a full 6 speed conversion.

If you were to carry out a manual conversion at a later date you will end up with a hybrid, that won't really appeal to many people in my opinion as its not original.

You would be better off saving your money and buying a 6 speed to begin with in all honesty, as your budget is practically there anyway for the sake of what a decent full 6 speed conversion would actually cost you perhaps at a later date if the worst ever happend.

I think the key word you mention in your reply is that of being 'content'.

Not buying the right model variant could possibly turn out to be a very expensive mistake, if you don't make the right choice.

Either way whatever you decide to go with in the end, just make sure you have fun and enjoy it. :D

Guys it was nice to see that men were being men and not being sarcy like a few on here...

But any how i will check out the supra if its nice i will buy it and post up a picture plus pay up for my membership too to join the family

Thanks again and pls to the gents who helped out with my query add me to your freinds group

Lets pray for the best

Safwaan Mikail

Guys it was nice to see that men were being men and not being sarcy like a few on here...

But any how i will check out the supra if its nice i will buy it and post up a picture plus pay up for my membership too to join the family

Thanks again and pls to the gents who helped out with my query add me to your freinds group

Lets pray for the best

Safwaan Mikail

If that comment was intend for me, I suggest you quote it & also I was not being sarcastic.

I'll refrain from using 'smilies' if that distracts you.

An I am a wo-men.

I dnt have no links ...it was up for sale 5months ago i jus kept his number as i rang him today and he sed he will sell it if we gave him near offer

See what happenz...but thanks u guys for helpin out

If i delimit it how bad is this issue of the symptons mentioned earlier ie dropping dwn gears and bang

Can u convert it to 6 speed??

Hi Mikail

Can you just drop the text speak please?

Thankyou :)

Nice to meet you too mr moderator i was checking my post and i havent come across any conversation between us?

I was wondering if you'd been using another username recently?

Its easily done when using a mobile

Hmmm...I do a lot of my moderating on my mobile ;)

Oh sugar 1 last thing...

Stop calling me sugar.