The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where to get a hold of the 2nd cat?

DonDavidson

NA's aren't subject to a full cat test, therefore the "part of the exhaust system missing" RfR is NOT relevant to your car. Vosa have NO vehicle specific information on the 2JZ GE engine, and therefore cannot be tested as a GTE. Tell them to read the manual, demand a FREE retest, or give you appeal information and let Vosa decide.

Case closed.[/QUO

Listen to the man, its all true. Your dad's mates do no not know what they are at I am afraid. Do a search on here and David P posted the relevant documentation to show them. Print it, get your free re-test and drive away smuggly with your mot certificate.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My mot guy just put a 3.0litre jag xj through on emissions instead of mine :)

Later when I did an emissions test at the workshop in work, found out that it still passes well under the limit, at BPU double decat.

It's all about getting the AFR right. ;)

test has been done already at two different garages, first was a small family run garage and second is a bigger garage owned by a family friend, both failed due to there not being a lambda sensor because it apparently should be housed in the same part of the exhaust as the 2nd cat which had been lopped off and replaced with a straight through pipe, they said there were just bare wires their but no sensor.

Whoever it was that decatted the exhaust it just seemed like they took a pair of snips to the wires and lopped it off.

- - - Updated - - -

"for uk TT" unfortunately i am on a J-spec NA haha

I have a J-spec NA cat in my shed as per my previous post.

Listen to the man, its all true. Your dad's mates do no not know what they are at I am afraid. Do a search on here and David P posted the relevant documentation to show them. Print it, get your free re-test and drive away smuggly with your mot certificate.

I'll have to try and find this info then.

NA's aren't subject to a full cat test, therefore the "part of the exhaust system missing" RfR is NOT relevant to your car. Vosa have NO vehicle specific information on the 2JZ GE engine, and therefore cannot be tested as a GTE. Tell them to read the manual, demand a FREE retest, or give you appeal information and let Vosa decide.

Case closed.

i will have to direct him towards this thread, because surely they must have put it down as the wrong kind of car before it could fail if thats the case?

I have a J-spec NA cat in my shed as per my previous post.

would you be willing to lease said cat should it be required?

Cheers for all the info guys it is very much appreciated, it's been a serious ballache trying to get this thing through and as you can probably tell it's my first time doing it with anything like a Supra! hopefully i can get it all cleared up tomorrow.

Sausages sandwiches are on me if i ever see any of you at a meet!

would you be willing to lease said cat should it be required?

I am not sure if I want to "lease" it. I doubt I will ever need it again as I sold the NA over two years ago. I am also not sure if these things have any value.

I am willing to "give" you this for free but obviously if I saw it up for sale a couple of months later for £100 I would be seriously pissed. As you are Scottish and probably quite mad I imagine I would just moan and do very little about it....:D

If you cover the postage I will sort out sending it up to you. Club spirit and all that...!!;)

H.

I am about to E-Mail the guys who have my car this flowchart just now and see what they say, if not then i will be getting in touch with you guys.

is that flowchart literally everything that i would need to convince them that the car shouldnt need a full cat test?

looking at that flow chart it says it needs a reading from the lambda sensor is this correct?

as per one of my previous posts the garage say it looks like whoever swapped the cat for a straight through pipe just snipped the wires and removed the lambda sensor, meaning there is not one there at all.

edit: nevermind, just realised i read that wrong

Right. So, "Was the vehicle 1st used between 92 and 95?" Yes. > "Can you find an EXACT MATCH (2JZ GE) in the database or the book?" No. > Carry out a non cat test.

The reason for refusal (RfR) that was brought in in April last year stated "IF THE VEHICLE IS SUBJECT TO A FULL CAT TEST, any item missing from the exhaust is a RfR"

It's really not this difficult. Tell them to call me if you like and I'LL tell them how to do their jobs. It's in the flow chart in black and white.

I just got my wife who thinks cars are lumps of metal that go broom broom to look at the flow chart. All I told her was that the car was a 94, and that there were no exact matches to the engine code.

She got it right. :rolleyes:

Yea i edited my post about 10 seconds later once i had looked at it properly, no need to turn into a condescending d*ck?

This is the 100th thread about this. Firstly, search it, the flow chart's been up a few times from a few people. Secondly, there's only so many ways you can say the same thing. And finally, I'd rather be a condescending d*ck than a little bit slow on the old uptake. ;)

This is the 100th thread about this. Firstly, search it, the flow chart's been up a few times from a few people. Secondly, there's only so many ways you can say the same thing. And finally, I'd rather be a condescending d*ck than a little bit slow on the old uptake. ;)

searched both "2nd cat" and "second cat" neither of which yield literally ANY results on the search function.

secondly, i would much MUCH rather be a little slow than a condescending d*ck, but i guess that's the difference between the kind of people who enjoy being condescending and the kind who don't.

Oh, and thank you.

Whether you are slow on the uptake or a condescending dick. I am both and therefore I win..!!

I think we all need to chill a while, Lemsip anyone?

*Update*

Finally got in touch with the guys at the garage and he claims that even though it is a 1994 car that was imported that they CAN find an exact match in the system (using the engine number) and so run an emissions test including Cat test.

I tried to argue that they shouldn't be able to find an exact match in a UK database as they didn't make NA UK cars so he must be testing is as if it was a TT, is this correct?

he says they will check the computer and get back to me later.

Is it possible at all that they can get an exact match and therefor i have no choice but to get a 2nd cat and lambda sensor?