The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting my TT back on the road thread

Suprash

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahahaha :D

Anyone, I've been continuing the strip down, was finally starting to get to the interesting bits :)

Cams out....

Head off finally and got to see how she was looking inside....thoughts ?

Time to get the last part stripped down, the bottom end....

Didnt get chance to remove the crank, rods and pistons yet, hopefully this Friday I can continue :)

Edited by Suprash (see edit history)

There's a lot of carbon buildup on the valves and cylinder chamber and something gritty on the squish band area. I can't make out if it's carbon there and on the piston tops or detonation damage though. Can you use something plastic to chip off the bits or is it metal that's been sputter welded on?

There's a lot of carbon buildup on the valves and cylinder chamber and something gritty on the squish band area. I can't make out if it's carbon there and on the piston tops or detonation damage though. Can you use something plastic to chip off the bits or is it metal that's been sputter welded on?

To be honest mate, I've really not had chance to look closely at the top of the pistons. I will be pulling them out this weekend so I can get some better pics then, but a hell of a lot of carbon build up yes, what exactly is that a result of ?

I've poked around and it seems to have a multitude of causes - cheapo fuel with few detergents in, lots of idle and cold starts, overfuelling. The trouble with that much carbon is that the edges of the flakes can turn into glow plugs and cause preignition. Either it's carbon crap on top of your pistons/squish band, or it's bits of piston material. I'd hope for the former :)

So I got the bottom end out this weekend along with pistons and oil pump and last few bits removed that where attached to the block :D

There is some marking inside one of the bores, I dont know what could have caused it and I've tried to clean it off to no avail although you can feel with it your finger. What do people suggest about this ?

And started to clean the block up ready for spraying :)

• 7 months later...

Well its been a while since I have had chance to get back on this due to BDC, but now my year has finished I can finally concentrate on getting this done.

Have to say a massive thanks to Tim at TB Developments, without his help I wouldnt have got this off the ground, he's been a true gent in helping me.

I have prepped the block ready for the new bottom end bits, all freshly sprayed looking nice and new and given the cylinders a quick re-hone.

So, just waiting for my delivery of new rings, mains, thrust, big end, oil pump and full engine gasket set to arrive from Tim this week and I can finally start building this back up into a complete engine. I would like this car back on the road by Christmas, but looking at the block Im not sure how anal Im going to end up in this build and it will ultimately end up in a battle of time Vs money Vs impatience to finally get back in my TT after 3 years :)

So £700 of bottom end parts have arrived, Im amazed how little it looks for £700 lol, but a big thanks again to TB Developments for not only sourcing all this at a great price, through Toyota direct this would have been over £1k probably.

But now I just need my parts washer before I can begine re-assembly :)

There was a LOT of bore wear in that block, the different finish above the top ring land suggests it really should have had a re bore, not just a hone. Lots of time and money if you re assemble and it still burns oil, as the early photos show it has been doing to some huge degree. Check ring gapos with great care, check bores for size, barrel and ovality before going further!!!

There was a LOT of bore wear in that block, the different finish above the top ring land suggests it really should have had a re bore, not just a hone. Lots of time and money if you re assemble and it still burns oil, as the early photos show it has been doing to some huge degree. Check ring gapos with great care, check bores for size, barrel and ovality before going further!!!

I was feeling it the other day Chris and thought exactly the same to myself. It was a tad worrying, will double check and report back :) thanks

• 5 months later...

Ok, so sorry its been a while, so after it was discovered the other block was junk, I picked up a spare GE to use that. After splitting it down and getting it checked first for bore tolerances it became apparent to me that the GE and GTE blocks are quite different in the fact that the GE doesnt have the front oil galley drilled from factory. So, I next had the front oil galley drilled and oil feed bosses drilled and tapped and a couple of sensor booses I think it was on the other side drilled, these where already tapped.

Then it was off to get it sprayed......

Degreased first of course :)

So, once I got the block back it was finally time to start this build, first was pre-fit everything and plasti gauge the bottom end and pre-check all the piston ring, crank oil and rod oil clearances. I wanted to have a really good understanding of how this block stands in case of any problems further down the line......

First was to rebuild the pistons.......

Then getting the pistons in......

Then plasti gauge all the bottom end.....

Oil and water pump fitted, only to find out I was given a GE pump.......

Freshly sprayed sump......

Oil pickup......

Pan......

So thats pretty much where I am now......... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, some more pics in case anyone wants to see, had to replace my VVT-i oil feed due to finding out another issue with using a GE block, all interesting stuff. I hope this solution will be ok, I was worried about it being a bit taught so got it made up 1" longer then the standard feed, but I reckon I need to double check the diameter difference between the two as Im not sure if this could effect oil pressure ?

Got the head on, cams in, water pump and a few other bits and pieces bolted back onto the block.

Just waiting to pick up my cam and timing covers this weekend :)

Oh dear, I am sorry to say this, but I think you have made a fundamental error with the VVTi control solenoid feed pipe.

Have you still got the original banjo bolts? If so look carefully at them both. One has a 3mm or so restrictor in it, and a one way valve. have you duplicated this in the fittings you show above, somehow?

You need this valve.... Sorry! Best to catch it at this stage though, whilst the engine's still on its stand :)

Exactly, to be honest Chris I keep looking at that feed and I dont feel totally happy with it, I've left it for now as I tend to look at something for a while before I finalise my plan in my head. I had already decided to get it remade with a 90 degree banjo fitting on the head side, but my other concern was the filter in there, which the current setup doesnt have, but I dont recall any one way valve, where is this ? Because its not on the original pipe ?

- - - Updated - - -

You can see the stock VVT-i oil feed on the bench in the background in the 1st pic lol :D

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update this a little more, got the cam covers back from being powder coated :)

Got my timing covers back from being Hydro dipped, I know fake carbon isnt generally liked but sorry, I cant justify the horrendous price difference between dipping and real carbon when the finish product isnt any different, its not like Im building a top flight grip car where weight/strength etc really comes into it. She'll look good from a glance and thats all Im worried about :)

Also have no started on prepping the engine bay, this is what Im having to deal with and what happens to a car when you leave it stood about for a couple of years :(

Got the bay stripped back to this ready for prep and spraying, I shall be having a go at spraying this myself, I usually get my mate to do all my spraying but seeing as I have now got a tiny compressor, I thought it about time I try my own hand at it *eek ! lol. I think I will remove the ABS whilst Im at it too ;) Anti-roll bar has also been binned.

So next was cleaning up the subframe/rack and arms etc.....

I spent hours in the parts washer on this lol......

I have also cleaned and sprayed the power steering rack, extended the rack and modified my front hubs for extra lock, will get these up shortly but I broke my phone so no camera at the monent :( lol

• 2 weeks later...

So have now prepped, primered and sprayed my engine bay, this was the first time I have ever attempted spraying myself. Primer went on lovely, however the top coat was a little more difficult and in placed didnt quite get the finish I would have liked. It was a lot windier when spraying the top coat because of having to do this outside, so there are few bits of debris in the paint, next I had condensation from the compressor being blown through, I thought it was my gun at first so stopped, stripped it down, flushed it and then carried on, but it started again after a while so I decided to stop before it made things worse. Next is to refit all the looms and make up new brake lines as the ABS has now been removed. Cant wait to get the subframe back on, still awaiting on my subframe bolts from Toyota though :)