The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Carbon Skinned Door Handles

Stevo

Wohooooo that makes me the first to have carbon handles :).

But they are not carbon handles they are normal handles with a glued layer of carbon material, don't get me wrong I have my dash wrapped in the stuff but that does not have to put up with constant weather changes and of course the action of opening and closing the door

My concern would be that it starts to peel/fade and then look awful

I am glad you like them though and there seems to be a market for them given the responses here, I think they are just a bit of fake bling, nothing wrong with the stock handle

But they are not carbon handles they are normal handles with a glued layer of carbon material, don't get me wrong I have my dash wrapped in the stuff but that does not have to put up with constant weather changes and of course the action of opening and closing the door

I am glad you like them though and there seems to be a market for them given the responses here, I think they are just a bit of fake bling, nothing wrong with the stock handle

Carbon skinning is different too a carbon wrap though fella, skinning is using actual carbon fibre and resin to skin a layer of carbon over and part, where as a wrap is glued on fabric/plastic, so skinning shouldnt/cant peel, unlike a wrap

i do see your point on it fading but carbon bonnets and spoilers fade, but its fairly simple to re-laquer them

I know lol but I like them ;).

Carbon skinning is different too a carbon wrap though fella, skinning is using actual carbon fibre and resin to skin a layer of carbon over and part, where as a wrap is glued on fabric/plastic, so skinning shouldnt/cant peel, unlike a wrap

i do see your point on it fading but carbon bonnets and spoilers fade, but its fairly simple to re-laquer them

Yep - exactly right Marc. There 'could' be issues in the future with fading but this would just be the lacquer and they've been finished with a few coats of scratch and UV resistant lacquer by a local bodyshop, so should have a number of years use in them.

Pleased you're happy with them Jazz.

To those that have asked about price, these would be going for £200 a pair on an exchange basis.

Steve could you carbon my nob so I could still get a hard on?

Happy to help those with erectile dysfuntion issues Ross, just take a plaster cast and send me it over - I don't do 'live' work. Obviously once done, it would need frequent 'polishing' to keep it shiny! :D

• 3 months later...

Well these ones have had a fair few complications and have taken considerably longer than both Jazz and I would have liked!! However, I would sincerely hope that the issues I had could be avoided with another set. This is why I prefer to work on 'spare' parts rather than have people remove parts from their car and render it un-usable until I'm done.

Thankfully, jazz has been the most patient person I have ever known - real top guy!

Probably looking at the end of June before I could get another set of handles made available. Desperately trying to finish off a set of Veilside mirrors at the minute so they are my top priority, then I go to Australia for a month and not back until end of April.

Edited by Stevo (see edit history)

• 2 months later...