The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice Needed: Running two sets of headlights

Ross C

1. is it illegal not to have fog lights at front? fogs lights on front of the car is not an MOT requirement. only on the rear. To back this up, ou see lots of cars wit fog lights on the front driving about - its common not to have fogs on older cars

2. can i replace the fog lights with a HID kit, effectively replacing the fogs with better lights? yes, its just a different bulb fitment. but its still a fog light and still aiming light in the wrong direction.

The whole fog unit will need to be relaced with a dipped beam unit and mounted into the headlight so it keeps the same level as the current headlight units.

I looke into this, its an awesom job to do, but with the amount of space it will take alot of skill and also keeping the insde of the headlight looking tidy may take some work. Take one apart and have a look. The lense comes out easy you can get a rough idea the work involved with just splitting a light apart.

Remember its the dipped beam unit from the light, not just the glass lense this doesn't direct the light to make it dipped beam the unit behind this makes all the magical light direction happen, don't forget the dipped beam lense is also bigger (glass lense included).

Spot on. In short, don't cock around with the lights.

Sounds a lot of work personally..

Re internals of the lights -

The fog lights, inside the lens have a "shield" which stops light from coming out over half the lens. Prob why they are quite "dull"

The dipped beam dosnt have this.

?? MOT requirement isnt to have a front fog light, lower model car's dont have fog lights included so wouldn't need a friendly MOT tester.

Surely if they are fitted to the vehicle they have to be checked as working? If not then bonus. I haven't got any bulbs in at the moment so I may not even fit them..!!

Will they match 6000k HIDs that i currently have in my dipped beams or will they be yellow like stock?

I am led to believe that they are the best you can get without going HID and having to drill the caps on the back of the lights. When I fit mine I will put some pictures up.

Lol I did think that also

We know, you are not the sharpest knife in the box.!

There must be easier and cheaper ways to annoy fellow motorists. Isn't it bad enough annoying them with scattering beam patterns from one set of lights fitted with aftermarket HID's that invariably have incorrect beam patterns, without adding another set? Aren't aftermarket HID conversions technically illegal anyway? The ones I see here usually need a bang or a fiddle to get them both going, worst case was a car that extinguished both headlamps at 60 MPH on a country road I didn't know, leaving me to guide it to a stop by memory of my last few moments with some light. Anyone noticed how the last year has seen the forum littered with more and more posts about suspect body and "stance" mods and less and less about sound maintenance and useful performance enhancement that work in the real world, and not just at Santa Pod? :( No offence meant.

Well not very much anyway.... :)

Anyone noticed how the last year has seen the forum littered with more and more posts about suspect body and "stance" mods and less and less about sound maintenance and useful performance enhancement that work in the real world, and not just at Santa Pod? :( No offence meant.

Well not very much anyway.... :)

Its a small little mod. Everyone has their own ideas for their own car. And i do not appreciate this post on my thread. I maintain my car the best I can. Ive given it a full service and changed O2 sensors and also put up a how to guide on changing the brake pads a fortnight ago for those (like me at the time) were not confident or sure on how to do so.

Ive not been a member long and I know the above was not solely directed at me but some of the long-standing members are very critical of some of the new members, and even old ones. I am trying to get into the real spirit of the club, made the trip to pod with Team Beard. Dont be so quick to judge on people

I understand both sides, I've been a member for a little while and I've had alot of people make judgement on most the stuff I've ever made. It's only the past year people have given me good comments instead of - "why would you bother making that" or "that's a crap idea" the list goes on.

You can not poo poo any ideas, not even the stupid ones that are impossible, as it can stunt creativity generation in peoples brains which is what modification is all about. Some random idea turned into a product.

Creativity it all about idea generation, the train of thought is stunted by peoples comments even though they are not ment in anyway insulting. Its just how people react. Its hard not to dismiss crazy ideas, we are logical by nature being creative is very difficult as we relate to things with past experiences (as a child a box could be a space ship or a car or a plane due to having limited past experiences, now you wouldnt ever think such a thing your brain is logical thinking and creativity is limited, around 5% of your thinking pattern is typically creative).

My headlight intake got my loads of laughs and giggles. Fact is, I had people message me asking me to make them one and the people that tried to make me look stupid would't have the sense to make one anyway. The lesson I learnt buddy, is if you have an idea it can be done. As long as you keep it legal and don't get lost in the battle of getting it to work then I reckon crack on with it. Half the crazy idea's I have always get interest and that's only because people get on the same crazy wavelength and think it may even be possible, doesn't mean they will all work but if you don't try you won't know. Lately I am getting people giving me ideas and suggestions to try, more people on the forum are getting involved in creativity with product creation and modification (though some silly ideas like mounted guns and lasers have been dismissed :D)

Without new ideas and random creations alot more than owners clubs wouldn't of ever even been made.

I think chris is just trying to say could your time and effort be spent elsewhere first, as long as your car in well maintained and serviced fully and vital important service parts aren't being left out to spend money on other things then whats the problem.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

For the third time, thank you Noz. I can appreciate where Chris is comming from and im not having a pop back at him as he is a very helpful member on here but I dont appreciate being judged so quickly. I love my car and could easily have modded it more by now but chose to give it a good service and pads using my money more sensibly.

I will press in with the lights and see how far I can get

I am led to believe that they are the best you can get without going HID and having to drill the caps on the back of the lights. When I fit mine I will put some pictures up.

Sorry Haverd missed this due to my mini-rant. That would be great thanks

Give me a shout if you make your mind up what you are wanting to do. Might have to modify work we have already done.

Will speak to you face to face so we don't get some smart ar*e coming on and peeing on your chips again. :D

:D

I will do mate. Hope your enjoying your time off work anyway mate. You've got a txt coming your way in the next few days