The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Opinions on these wheels?

Chris Bailey

How often do people hit a kerb sideways with any force? There will be huge lateral loads on wheels when the front or back end is sliding and mounts a kerb on track. Especially when using slick tyres.

Never in 25 years of driving have I slid sideways into a kerb. And to be honest, if people are driving like that on a public road they deserve what they get.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Rota wheels are better than anything else, it's just that for 99.99999999999% of the time it will make no difference unless you are driving like a pr*ck on public roads.

It just strikes me there is a lot of snobbery around wheels and an urban myth that Rotas are rubbish based on some incidents quite a few years ago.

Lots of members on here use Rotas and we are not seeing lots of posts about their wheels failing.............

Edit: I may have got a bit carried away here and don't mean to cause offence to anyone. I know "accidents" happen.

Edited by sideexitsupra (see edit history)

In my opinion wheels make such a huge difference to make a car look so good, I'd rather save up and invest in expensive wheels than cheapy ones that will only make your car rubbish. The main attraction on my car is my wheels and they were not ceap :), but then again they are what makes my car special.

I wouldn't class Rota's as cheap. I seem to remember mine being over £1000 with tyres. I personally think most of the Rota Range suit Supras very well.

They're generally replicas of more expensive wheels, so they are cheap for what they are.

I'd rather go with second hand premium wheels though, such as BBS, OZ, Rays, Advan, Weds etc. the Lexus Sport TTE wheels are a good choice too, and coloured bronze would give a similar effect to those ROTAs.

I'd personally prefer to buy a known quality brand of wheel 2nd hand, it can be difficult finding wheels in a staggered set up and in the correct offsets for the Supra but they do come up on here, drifworks, ebay, pistonheads, etc. Yahoo auctions Japan probably has the biggest selection of Japanese branded second hand wheels.

If you see a Supra for sale with wheels you like, always worth asking the seller if they'd consider selling them separately or do a part ex/swap.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Those wheels look awesome!!

There are loads of wheels that look good on a supra. My only issue with these would be that they're black. I think black disappears into the arch and hides the definition of the wheel. (except on a black car, then they don't look too bad)