The mkiv Supra Owners Club

going auto single, turbo choice advice for the nooby please!!!

grumps2JZ

why is everybody telling me i cant do a reliable auto box single conversion yet the people telling me this are running single's with auto boxes. mixed messages ARGHHHH haha :@

you can do a VERY RELIABLE auto single build... you just cant do it CHEAP and expect it to be RELIABLE ;)

tubbytwo and mitchell9006 i know what youre thinking haha. but luckily i work in the automotive industry so can get parts cheaper and use my own labour to help cut build costs.... :p

So do i, i built mine from the bottom up myself and it still cost me fortunes! i bought everything brand new for my build apart from the boostlogic exhaust. best of luck with it all though. Titan box ftw, aint heard no problems with them going wrong abroad. thats next on my list after i pay the wheels off

thats cool v8killr, do masterpower do anything smaller than a t70? i think thats a bit big for my goals :p

and thankyou jamesy the first year of my supra adventure has been fantastic.... well up untill i lost my license for an "exhibition of speed" about 3 months ago ;( lol

Yes, they have 8 different turbos smaller then a T70. Here is the NZ distributors web site http://www.frantik.co.nz/masterpower.html

Edited by V8KILR (see edit history)

why is everybody telling me i cant do a reliable auto box single conversion yet the people telling me this are running single's with auto boxes. mixed messages ARGHHHH haha :@

As long as you keep the rwkw no higher then 350rwkw and don't drag race it, you should be fine with the stock auto.

I think good advise is to buy good quality components from the go I.e turbo kit, ecu for example.

Costs alone with out labour for an average single is easy between 6-10k.

Your main concerns are the stock auto box so the first important thing to get is a good mappable ecu like a syvecs or aem series 2 so u can get a proper safe map between gear changes. Secondly get someone like Ryan g to map the auto who knows what there doing!!

Thirdly get a massive oil cooler for the auto box, new filter and fluids and your about as good as u can be for a 500bhp/500lbft set up!

I've learnt from experience it doesn't pay in the long run to try and do things cheaper!!

Do it once.....do it right ;-)

any reccomendations about what kind of turbo, exhaust a/r sizes etc etc would be much appreciated thanks guys!!!

was thinking about a garret t67 but thought it might be too big for such a low hp goal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garrett-full-T67-HKS-T04R-Turbo-P-trim-T4-750HP-V-Band-/380099241555?hash=item587fae2653&item=380099241555&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

also found a cheap T70 online but it has a .48 ex housing which seems really small to me...

opinions?

I'd only buy from a reputable dealer there are many Chinese made Garrett knock offs about now.

I'd go GTX35R, faster spool than the GT35R and peak power similar to a T67.

The main issue the auto box's were having was that they were not being mapped to cut power between gear changes, so the full throttle gear changes were just destroying them, but with the Syvecs, Motec and a couple of other ECU's they can be mapped properly.

Don't expect to do this on a shoe string budget though, accomodate for £8k-£10k with the auto box upgrades in my opinion.

The main issue the auto box's were having was that they were not being mapped to cut power between gear changes, so the full throttle gear changes were just destroying them, but with the Syvecs, Motec and a couple of other ECU's they can be mapped properly.

Don't expect to do this on a shoe string budget though, accomodate for £8k-£10k with the auto box upgrades in my opinion.

I had my syvecs cut torque on gear changes and still managed to destroy the box after 2 days.

Suppose it just depends on how hard you drive it and/or how unlucky you are.

I had my syvecs cut torque on gear changes and still managed to destroy the box after 2 days.

Suppose it just depends on how hard you drive it and/or how unlucky you are.

Seeing as over 30 Supras with autos and over 500ftlb with a Syvecs have been spot on for last 3 years I would like to see some evidence that it was related to over torque event.

Is the box out yet and stripped?

My thoughts are that the filter was blocked still.