The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's a good ECU to put on a BPU apart from Syvecs?

Chris Bailey

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Power is a drug, the meets make it worse, BPU is adequate but who wants to be adequate

This is something I thought, and said going single will sort it and I'll stop the power hunt, but looking at it when i get there I'll get use to it after a while and just hunt for more lol

This is something I thought, and said going single will sort it and I'll stop the power hunt, but looking at it when i get there I'll get use to it after a while and just hunt for more lol

If Jamie P started in a NA and ended up where he is now I say we all just quit while we are ahead.

Look Chris your post said which ECU and stay BPU, you go on to say you ( your dad ) is happy with the times at the pod, so what are your goals, what do you want to achieve ?

If you stay with 440 injectors you will be very limited to what you can achieve over a stock ECU BPU, so you need to invest and that's the slippery slope I talk about, I was not trying to be purposely obtuse just be a little grounded so you dont make the mistakes I did in the past !

Look Chris your post said which ECU and stay BPU, you go on to say you ( your dad ) is happy with the times at the pod, so what are your goals, what do you want to achieve ?

If you stay with 440 injectors you will be very limited to what you can achieve over a stock ECU BPU, so you need to invest and that's the slippery slope I talk about, I was not trying to be purposely obtuse just be a little grounded so you dont make the mistakes I did in the past !

Very sound advice from a man who's been there and done it :)

He may upgrade to 550cc injectors i personally dont know - All i know is he's happy with bpu power but wants the most out of it.

He may upgrade to 550cc injectors i personally dont know - All i know is he's happy with bpu power but wants the most out of it.

Like Dean said it can be an endless road, if his going with 550cc injectors then his going to need an ECU to manage the fuelling. The next step will be cams, then you will need a proper ECU. Most likely hybrids too so you can run higher boost. Hybrids alone will cost £1,400 then factor in the ECU and possibly cams an you are knocking onto £5k. Then at that point you are thinking, just a few more K's an I can have a small single, then the box limits you so you start looking at built box or 6 speed. Then the small single feels a little slow & you want a bigger single...

This is generally what happens :)

If you want to get the maximum out of the stock sequential turbos then the next step would be to fit longer duration/higher lift cams, higher flowing injectors (the stock 440cc injectors are close to their max duty at normal BPU levels) and some sort of mappable ECU. If you don't want to break the bank then I'd go with a piggyback GReddy Emanage Ultimate.

I'd use a Apexi S-AFC. Maybe a bit old school but for managing a 550cc upgrade they are more than man enough. £50 - £100 second hand.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APEXi-S-AFC-Super-Air-Flow-Converter-A-61-/320941700274?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ab99db4b2

By far the best value for money ecu IMHO is the emerald K6.

Lyndon.

If you want to improve your quarter mile times, get a hi stall and oil cooler for the auto box.

I would suggest this would get him into the 12's, with a little loss in everyday drive-ability.

IMO, everything between running full BPU and going single is rarely worth doing. IE: Hybrids, cams, injectors, aftermarket ECU.

As has been said, unless you are planing to go single, then stick at BPU and enjoy it.

I'd use a Apexi S-AFC. Maybe a bit old school but for managing a 550cc upgrade they are more than man enough. £50 - £100 second hand.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APEXi-S-AFC-Super-Air-Flow-Converter-A-61-/320941700274?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ab99db4b2

By far the best value for money ecu IMHO is the emerald K6.

Lyndon.

Do these still work on the J-Spec TT with no MAF? Are they quite straightforward to fit?

Another option would be a 2nd hand Emanage blue which are similar money.

I ran the stock turbos at 1.2bar for around 7 years with in256/ex264 cams, 680cc injectors and Emanage, the car was dynoed at 430hp.

Just letting everyone know this thread is nothing to do with me - I am happy with what I have and will not be wasting money on small bpu gains - Chris give this one up its not happening

haha. Does seem like crazy amounts of money for such small gains. I think the only people that have done these extra things are upgrading ready to put in a big single so I guess its not really a waste of money then.