The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Serious Auto box ploblem! PLEASE HELP

Kaan W

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the autobox is the same as the one on a Lexus GS300, then I have a used one off the car and ready to be collected. :)

No issues whatsoever before it was taken off, drove fine in all gears inc reverse.

Can anyone confirm this is the same one as apparently there about 20 different types for different years

If the autobox is the same as the one on a Lexus GS300, then I have a used one off the car and ready to be collected. :)

No issues whatsoever before it was taken off, drove fine in all gears inc reverse.

Can anyone confirm this is the same one as apparently there about 20 different types for different years

Check the Trans code on the VIN plate.

If it is an A340E with a J1 bell-housing, a line-pressure control-cable or a splined tail-shaft, it's the wrong one. :shrug:

If it's an A343E with a J3 bell-housing and a 4-stud flange tail, it's the right one. :)

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Id not touch a thing till you have spoke to Casey , bit soon for it to be taking a dump even though it was always at risk anyway.

I know, even tho I cant get hold of him Simon there is nothing that could tell this was going to happen. Its just my luck! Im thinking of staying off the road for a few months and saving for a BL as a second hand one is still prone to failure.

Which ever route I take do I need to get the car tuned or calibrated with the syvecs or anything or is it just a matter of swapping it over and everything will work?

Get your box rebuilt. Getting mine uprated at the moment, built to 750 torquez. By all accounts BL boxes aint very good anyway.

See ive searched and couldnt find anything on built a340 box`s. Where can I get these kits mate?

i had a stock auto box with 3800 tc go but was giving it abuse.the revs would go to 3000 then drop off and raise to 3000 then do same again and was making a whistling sound.ended up buying a autobox off keron and bought a new 4000 tc.he may have big power for the stock auto but you not using the full power all the times.the th400 i bought has 2 coolers with it.

Well tomorrow I shall clean out any debris from the trans sump and un block the filter and see how it drives. If it continues to break clogging back up with clutch material then I need the cheapest reliable box that will handle the extra power.

Any cheap box suggestions capable of 600ftlbs?

Thats the problem. 600lbs capable, and cheap, are mutually exclusive.

Your cheapest option is a second hand stock box, and see if Ryan can make the map safer still (but really these aren't the cars to be doing things on the cheap with)

Sorry when I say cheap I dont mean made out of old clocks and washing machines but something that dont cost as much as a 6 speed conversion. Just a reliable box without going over the top really. Is there not a rebuild kit that will hold up to that power?

Sorry when I say cheap I dont mean made out of old clocks and washing machines but something that dont cost as much as a 6 speed conversion. Just a reliable box without going over the top really. Is there not a rebuild kit that will hold up to that power?

Excuse the double post if it turns out to be one, Maybe a 6speed swap would be ideal now as if you still want to build a really high bhp car then surely the getrag is the way to go and it turns today's nightmare into a bit of a blessing.

I personally would be really peed off at myself if in a years time I was having to upgrade the gearbox for a second time when I could of set myself up for future power gains before.

If it has a J1 bell-housing, a line-pressure control-cable or a splined tail-shaft, it's the wrong one. :shrug:

If it has a J3 bell-housing and a 4-stud flange tail, it's the right one. :)

It's got a flange tail :)

I'll check the VIN though, as Nic suggested - tomorrow. :)

If it'll get the OP by for a few weeks whilst he saves up for a built box...

No just a stock UK spec one.

UPDATE: Just took the car round the block to see if its any better after cooling down and I lost all gears halfway round and just had to push the F****** thing back on to my drive. No Reverse no drive no 1st or 2nd no nothing. BLAST!

This is what has probably killed the autobox. I would just buy a used autobox off Keron, and add an extra ATF cooler with new fluids and a new filter. These are many single auto's running with an extra cooler without any issues. I'm not sure how much torque the box can handle.