The mkiv Supra Owners Club

some sad news

Dim Sum

Yeah sadly mate, don't want to drive much when the car is like this.

i know that feeling .

well going to give C R turbo a ring tomorrow, since now i have two people recommending them now. Think the are based in Hampshire.

I would love to go single but a decent setup will cost around £10,000.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not just you mate, my 1st turbo sounds horrible and is certainly on the way out, picked up another set of turbos for £250 which look in good condition, then its around £600+ for fitting, around 7 hours labor I'm told. Not happy :(

I'd agree with the seven hours labour if you don't know what you are doing and your taking your time but stripping all the pipes above the turbos is bout an hour at worse and the rest is just a few bolts holding turbos on. I can't remember if you need to remove the manifold first to get to the turbo bolts?

It's awkward that's all.

You'll need to replace a few gaskets to.

I'd agree with the seven hours labour if you don't know what you are doing and your taking your time but stripping all the pipes above the turbos is bout an hour at worse and the rest is just a few bolts holding turbos on. I can't remember if you need to remove the manifold first to get to the turbo bolts?

It's awkward that's all.

You'll need to replace a few gaskets to.

I keep considering taking the job on myself, there is a great "how to" for removing the turbos on here, but it does seem a bit daunting! If i had a garage i would jump at the opportunity or at least help from someone who had done it before.

Yeah I need to take it to Chris Wilson to find out if it is a Boost leak or not. If it's a Turbo problem then I'm either going to refurbish my Turbo or Buy a new one, unless I can find a set of mint low mileage Turbo's.

Why dont you get Simon at ACO to check it out for you tomorrow ? I can't believe you

have issues with this engine already.

I could always drop you back at the restaurant or back home if you want to

leave it at ACO

Only 69k on the dash, not good really.

Kack. Your car is pretty much a sister car of mine. Both imported within weeks of each other and in similar condition.

I am now worried if ours could suffer the same fate? Mine has 61K on the clock but I suppose it depends on how it has been driven/treated.

H.

Why dont you get Simon at ACO to check it out for you tomorrow ? I can't believe you

have issues with this engine already.

I could always drop you back at the restaurant or back home if you want to

leave it at ACO

I might just do that Dunk, I'm not 100% sure if I do have a problem or not, best to get it checked.

Thanks for the offer Dunk, I'll see you at Simon's tomorrow :)

Kack. Your car is pretty much a sister car of mine. Both imported within weeks of each other and in similar condition.

I am now worried if ours could suffer the same fate? Mine has 61K on the clock but I suppose it depends on how it has been driven/treated.

H.

Well I do treat mine very well with regular servicing and proper care taken warming up and cooling the turbos but I have no idea how the previous owner in japan treated the car. Going Bpu can't have been the problem as the 1st turbo produces almost the same boost as stock and the 2nd turbo is sweet as a nut. Maybe i have just been unlucky. This has happened quite suddenly tho, no real warning of the problem, eg no funny noises, then one day got very bad. I'm sure yours are fine but could be worth checking for peace of mind.

Well I do treat mine very well with regular servicing and proper care taken warming up and cooling the turbos but I have no idea how the previous owner in japan treated the car. Going Bpu can't have been the problem as the 1st turbo produces almost the same boost as stock and the 2nd turbo is sweet as a nut. Maybe i have just been unlucky. This has happened quite suddenly tho, no real warning of the problem, eg no funny noises, then one day got very bad. I'm sure yours are fine but could be worth checking for peace of mind.

Ours has never even given a hint of a problem but you never know. The only worry I have is that lately it has done a few short journeys, just enough for it to warm up over a couple of miles. Other than that it is sat outside the house not being used for a couple of weeks at a time. We always cool down properly and it has a turbo timer aswell.

I'll keep an eye out for any potential problems.

H.

About 400 pounds

That's good to know Dean I thought it was about 900 a piece. Out ofinterest are the first and second turbos interchangeable? If I've got four housings and I find two are cracked will the other two be suitable irrespective of which turbo they were originally?

Mike

That's good to know Dean I thought it was about 900 a piece. Out ofinterest are the first and second turbos interchangeable? If I've got four housings and I find two are cracked will the other two be suitable irrespective of which turbo they were originally?

Mike

If they are both the same then it will be easier looking for good 2nd hand turbo's. I always see Aristo Turbo's pop up on eBay, and they are usually in better condition than one's off a Supra.

Edited by SamuraiFlash (see edit history)