The mkiv Supra Owners Club

teddan goes for 1000hp

teddan

So filling the ring gap

On the top ring I choose ring gap of 0,45mm and for the second ring 0,60mm.

First I fitted the second ring an a piston and then get the the top ring in the block and pushed it down with the piston until the ring on the piston stop it. Then it should be square in the bore.

I had to adjust all rings except the two last second rings. That scared me a little bit.....

Mounting the ring with the ring tool is a good ide but unfortunately mi was a little to short to get to the second ring..dam it... small small scratches in the pistons..aaaaa

Assembly the circlipss are a pitta. You will almost kill yourself with the screwdriver... My circlips had 2 colours, do anyone know why?

Put the second ring right!

Edited by teddan (see edit history)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys! It is my first build so I see this a little bit as a lesson learn build so just shout if you see anything wrong.

I actually don't like the smalls scraps on the piston and also my block has started the have colours of rust on the top. The rust i will sort out.

Also this with the ring gap on the 2 last ones confuse me.

Remember that the second ring should be mounted with the "flat side" up. For the rest of the rings it doesn't matter what i know.

I thing that i thought was a little bit strange was that it was 4 (spoor?) but only 3 rings for the pistons.

Maybe I have to start a thread with my questions :)

I've started an engine building thread myself about a week ago. I've included loads of questions myself but unfortunately we don't have many people on here who are skilled engine builders, maybe only 5 or so, and none have offered any input as yet. I've found myself reading numerous engine threads on procedures and techniques on how and what order things require doing.

I guess it's 1 of those check and check and then check again things really, to make sure it's all right.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

unfortunately it was some layer of oil on the camera for some pictures but i will post them anyway.

Try to show this by with a step by step procedure

Checking the rings position according to the manual

To new home for the pistons :)

All in

Time for installing the rod bearings. I measure the arp bolt before torque, Unfortunately i don't have the spreadsheet for the moment but I will update this post later on with it. It was around 50,40mm

Oil

Checking clearance.

torque

Measuring the clearance and torque again.

After 6 times it will look like this

To see how it looks with the head on

I have also received a package from the UK :)

Did put this one as well with my nuclear piece

Time for polish :)

back to the wall until summer 2013

Edited by teddan (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Result after valve lapping, the only pic I have....

The time for assembly the head with my new springs and seals

I performed a easy leakage test, I filled the intake and exhaust channels with brake cleaner and then inspected the valves for leakage after 10min, For some valves you could see a extremely little if brake cleaner but that will be fine for me. After 50km they will be much worse anyway.

Fitted the new arp for the head and head gasket

Then finally one of my package arrived from DARRETT, But I still miss my wheels and brakes!! even after 2 month after payment, I have have not get any tracking number, I have asked for it for 6 weeks! . In the last mail he told me that the packages would arrive on Friday but now we are one week after that Friday and still no packages!! On going process!!!

Test mounting all the part while I am waiting for my shimsless buckets from Twinturbo.com

New Core plugs, gasket for gearbox and fuelspumps are ongoing to sweden :)

• 1 month later...

The main event and first next year will be " En dag på strippen" in Emmaboda. Then nothing is planned due to work. We have a big nuclearplant upgrade this summer that will kill all my time....

Finelly my tires has arrived from DARRETT now I just miss my brakes from him...

RT WELDS WHEELS

Just before Christmas i got my schimsless buckets from twinturbo. Great service there but unfortunately that don't except paypal so a normal bank transfer take longer times to perform the payment.

Is was the half price to buy the buckets from USA instead of Toyota sweden!

I will not show how you perform the measurement or installation due to there are very good guides here on the forum.

Just remember to NOT have you crack in 0 position when you fit the cams! I had it 0 and bended 2 valves!!! High lift cams, YES :)

New fuelpumps are home. I will try to take some pictures of the progress next time I am in the garage