The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newie from maidstone kent

Chris6t9

No mate, if you can source the right UK car for a price you can afford, go for it mate. All I'm saying is you will normally find a better J-spec more frequently, and at a lower cost (normally I said! ;)). With the saving you make on a good condition J-spec over a rarer UK model, you can afford the difference in insurance between the two.

There's a good thread on the different insurance companies you can try mate. Worth shopping around as with the car fella! :)

Try being patient as well (I can't as I'm an impulsive sod! Lol), as others on here have bagged blinding deals most of us can only dream about! :rolleyes::D

You limit yourself wanting a manual though mate, as they are in shorter supply over the autos, and usually command higher prices £9-10K approx for a clean stock J-spec. UK TT 6-spd's in White are quite hard to come by, so if that's what you want, be prepared to wait a while! :)

Ive found a few in japan, but none over here :(. Maybe i could be better off getting one imported?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That'd be Rob Mitchell who owns that beauty mate. ;)

He did pop a post up early on as he's a local who does superb bodywork, chroming, engine builds etc. Very impressed with Rob's high standards.

Going back to your UK vs J-spec saga, I'm lucky enough to say I've owned both so can comment on each ones merits.

UK spec is nice with the leather, bigger brakes, bonnet scoop (not sure on the bumper dildo's! Lol - they are washer jets for the headlights by the way, just look like dildo's! ;)), bigger injectors, clocks in MPH etc. Only thing is they are getting old now, with big mileage, worn seats and suspension etc. UK roads are also much harsher than the ones in Japan, so rust underneath and along the sills, wheel arches is quite common. Don't get me wrong, there are nice lower mileage cars out there, but they come at a price. My UK was lovely after I threw £10-15K at it! ;) Lol.

If you do need someone to look at a prospective purchase, let me or supraturbochris know fella.

Hope this helps.

:thumbs:

Don't forget the lardy ass suspension on the UK's aswell:d

No facelift either, they stopped at 96 in the UK.

Personally I would discount importing one from Japan mate. Did a Celica GT myself a few years back, it cost a lot more in the end than I'd originally budgeted for! :( you have shipping, duty, import tax, SVA approval, mileage converter, underseal (Japan doesn't get snow etc like us, they don't salt their roads so no need for protection like we need here in the UK), rear foglight, de-limiter, CAT 1 alarm & immobiliser, registration costs, road tax etc etc!

The Yen is strengthening as well over the pound, and you won't get the same buyer care a trader like Jurgen gets mate.

There are plenty of good cars here already mate, just need to be patient and keep looking on the websites. You could speak to Jurgen and tell him what you want and your budget? He could probably find a nice one for you?

That Celica was damaged as well (not sure if it was there before I bought it, or if it happened in transit, but wasn't pleased!).

Wasn't structural (new wing plus paint), but by the time I shelled out for everything, could have bought one here for less :(

Again, this is only my experiences and opinion fella, but hopefully it helps understand what you would be facing if you choose to import one yourself. You also need insurance while it's on the boat (they can sink I assure you!).

Plenty of good importers who can take all the hassle out of it for a fee of course. :)

Edited by Peter P (see edit history)

That Celica was damaged as well (not sure if it was there before I bought it, or if it happened in transit, but wasn't pleased!).

Wasn't structural (new wing plus paint), but by the time I shelled out for everything, could have bought one here for less :(

Again, this is only my experiences and opinion fella, but hopefully it helps understand what you would be facing if you choose to import one yourself. You also need insurance while it's on the boat (they can sink I assure you!).

Plenty of good importers who can take all the hassle out of it for a fee of course. :)

I do like this one, and this is the only one so far that i think is perfect for me. Its in japan and i contacted JM imports, they said they could get it to me for 14300. :(. From what i can see off the google translate is that its a 1997 6 speed tt, so obviously id need to get more info but the price is a few 1000 over budget :(

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/10/700030157820111024001.html&ei=5vFFT4zZIuK10QX2m4GiDg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CE0Q7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/10/700030157820111024001.html%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D1084%26prmd%3Dimvns