BPU or just standard ?

thedirtycat

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1.8 turbo 400hp?? What spec is this engine

Gonna need a built engine for that in an S13 - the CA18DET is notorious for having chocolate big ends, even stock they seem to let go if you check the tach works all the way round :O

A stock S13 with the CA18DET 1.8 Turbo has around 180bhp, with the standard T25 Turbo you won't see over ~230bhp with BPU plus a chip, the easy swap is the T28 Turbo from the S14 but that needs a FMIC and a stage 2 chip to see ~270bhp if the big ends bearings haven't already introduced the crank to the rods. 400bhp is major engine surgery plus much bigger (and laggier!) Turbo as well as all the other expensive fuelling and ECU mods.

The advantage they have is weight as they come in around 1200KG vs the JZA80 at around 1500KG but even so the power delivery is pretty shit when they're modded and the chassis struggles to get the power to the ground. 200SX's are just plain hassle when modded and I do speak from experience - most spend ~90% of their time off the road and ultimately rot themselves into a grave as well.

To get a real world perspective, look at quarter mile times - 200SX's struggle to get into the 13's where a BPU Supra can do an 11.5 ;)

As for standard or BPU.... JZA80 Supra TT's are creamy smooth when standard, very very fast but the delivery is almost dull it's so smooth, you just gather a lot of speed with minimal fuss. Going BPU is like upsetting a reformed serial killer - the rage comes flooding out and the power delivery takes on an altogether vicious edge. It'd be rude not to IMO but then I like to feel like the car I'm driving has the potential to kill me should I drive it wrong.

Cheers,

Brian.

Gonna need a built engine for that in an S13 - the CA18DET is notorious for having chocolate big ends, even stock they seem to let go if you check the tach works all the way round :O

A stock S13 with the CA18DET 1.8 Turbo has around 180bhp, with the standard T25 Turbo you won't see over ~230bhp with BPU plus a chip, the easy swap is the T28 Turbo from the S14 but that needs a FMIC and a stage 2 chip to see ~270bhp if the big ends bearings haven't already introduced the crank to the rods. 400bhp is major engine surgery plus much bigger (and laggier!) Turbo as well as all the other expensive fuelling and ECU mods.

The advantage they have is weight as they come in around 1200KG vs the JZA80 at around 1500KG but even so the power delivery is pretty shit when they're modded and the chassis struggles to get the power to the ground. 200SX's are just plain hassle when modded and I do speak from experience - most spend ~90% of their time off the road and ultimately rot themselves into a grave as well.

To get a real world perspective, look at quarter mile times - 200SX's struggle to get into the 13's where a BPU Supra can do an 11.5 ;)

As for standard or BPU.... JZA80 Supra TT's are creamy smooth when standard, very very fast but the delivery is almost dull it's so smooth, you just gather a lot of speed with minimal fuss. Going BPU is like upsetting a reformed serial killer - the rage comes flooding out and the power delivery takes on an altogether vicious edge. It'd be rude not to IMO but then I like to feel like the car I'm driving has the potential to kill me should I drive it wrong.

Cheers,

Brian.

Cheers for the info on that Brian. It would be interesting to know if the guy with the 200sx was for real or just trying to put him off a supra because he knows it's quicker than his.

Another thing to consider, running higher than stock boost will reduce the life of the turbos. J-spec turbos can blow the ceramic turbines, UK spec turbos tend to wear seals/bearings quicker. Removing the cats and upping the boost really does bring a TT to life, but it can get very expensive if you need to replace the turbos.

I think maybe he hadn't been in one and was just saying what he had heard about them.

Doesn't it cost about £1000 to do all the BPU upgrades ?

I guess if I could get a standard one cheap in good condition and then go BPU it would still not be too expensive.

I've been in one other car with about the same power(audi s4)and it felt kind of quick but I would get bored quite quickly but I think thats because it was a paddle shift and supercharged. It just had a very boring power delivery I think.

Be very carefull what you buy, cheap and good rarely go together,

there are some nice tt's around and some sheds.

What are you thinking your budget will be to buy the car ?

Try calling LWIB for a quote and if you can do a limited mileage policy

it should keep your premium down quite a bit.

My cars bpu and around 400 ish hp so if you want a run out in it after the gritters

have stopped give me a shout.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

less of the sheds dunk

you mean not so nice ones :D

Cheers for the info on that Brian. It would be interesting to know if the guy with the 200sx was for real or just trying to put him off a supra because he knows it's quicker than his.

Its a built CA18DET forged everything, with tomei camshafts etc etc

custom map

550cc injectors

Z32 MAF

Walbro fuel pump

GReddy spark plugs

got the RPS Max street pro clutch kit

1.2mm cometic metal headgasket

Thats what he said it has. I don't think he is worried about me having a faster car because he lived in another country haha :p

No i mean sheds, i've seen plenty now that i wouldn't touch with a very long stick.

Quite a few of these have actually looked okay untill you start looking a bit closer

at the underneath, brakes on their last legs, radiators on the verge of failing, smic's falling apart, heater

matrix by passed because its leaking, etc etc

I would not buy a 17 ish year old one unless i could have it on a ramp, if its cheap then it probably

wont be by the time youve fixed it

My cars bpu and around 400 ish hp so if you want a run out in it after the gritters

have stopped give me a shout.

I was thinking about £8000 for a tt6 and it looks like they don't go any cheaper. I don't really want to get something thats in bad condition though.

A cheap TT6 can be found, however if you are looking for a strong BPU car you are going to need to spend a few grand to get it all up to scratch for the extra power, I have brought a TT6 for £3750 in the past and I drove that for almost a year with no issues at stock power, I have just purchased a £4K TT6 and will need to spend 6K to get a mint BPU+ car, you can get silly with the spending on a Supra once you start

A cheap TT6 can be found, however if you are looking for a strong BPU car you are going to need to spend a few grand to get it all up to scratch for the extra power, I have brought a TT6 for £3750 in the past and I drove that for almost a year with no issues at stock power, I have just purchased a £4K TT6 and will need to spend 6K to get a mint BPU+ car, you can get silly with the spending on a Supra once you start

Where the hell are you finding them at those prices ? The cheapest I have seen them go for is about £7000 or just under.

Its a built CA18DET forged everything, with tomei camshafts etc etc

custom map

550cc injectors

Z32 MAF

Walbro fuel pump

GReddy spark plugs

got the RPS Max street pro clutch kit

1.2mm cometic metal headgasket

Thats what he said it has. I don't think he is worried about me having a faster car because he lived in another country haha :p

Just 550cc's for 400bhp? I'm aiming for 400bhp from my s14a and ive been told 740-850cc's minimum for that power! :S