The mkiv Supra Owners Club

No Air Filter - More Power?

Noz

I can understand the concept of why having a dyno run of ##bhp if you run less bhp, but im just looking at all options so i hit that magic 400 number. Ryan did say that without the misfire and better fuel it would of been easy to hit 400, but better to cover all areas.

i dont want to use super fuel i think that is going a bit mental. im hoping to have water/meth installed as well thats as far as il take it with fuel additives. that and running 99 octane. my 373bhp (with misfire) run was done with octane 95!

I don't want the dyno adjusted, that might fool my mum but its not gonna fool me. i might as well of stayed NA and got someone else to pull the dyno for me lol.

Mitchell do you still sell the trumpets?

Turbo and induction trumpets do work, seen it proved on a dyno, however, they only work and make a difference at high flow rates, but the difference is far to low to be of real help other than perhaps drag racing or out & out circuit racing.

And i certainly cant see it making the extra 25 odd BHP your wanting.

But to me it sounds like your willing to risk your engine just to see 400BHP:blink: remember dyno plots are just an overall indication of power, and not at all conclusive, so at best pub boasting rights, if your really serious you will build an engine that is certain to deliver the power and have it set up on an engine dyno.;)

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

i see your point tell the dyno operator what your goal is and if it was only 5 bhp out in sure they might adjust the dyno to suit."joke but does happen"

but i would think you get over 10bhp differance from a cold misty day to a 30c summers day, so get it on the dyno while its still cold for a good result, octaine booster (race fuel).

you could always add NOZ,"NOZ":eyebrows:

I could get an extra 30bhp on the Dyna pack by hanging the Dyno air temp sensor over the exhaust :D

Turbo and induction trumpets do work, seen it proved on a dyno, however, they only work and make a difference at high flow rates, but the difference is far to low to be of real help other than perhaps drag racing or out & out circuit racing.

You'd be mental to run with no filter for circuit racing IMO :)

I'm not purely looking for an extra 25hp through using a trumpet. I'm sure a boost controller will get me there, I'm just looking at small options that will help me, considering I would like a trumpet anyway, I thought I would ask the question about using it on a dyno.

Point being they don't care about that, if its winning or a new engine then............

Nah... my take on it is that to finish first, first you have to finish. Ingesting a stone on the last lap when you're 0.5 seconds in the lead would make most racers want to commit suicide :D

I've run on the drag strip with no air filter a few time when the ambient temp has been high and under bonnet temps are also high.

The 1/4mile doesn't worry me its the road back to the pits were things are loose on the road.

It would be hard for anything to jump up infront of the car and find its way through the gap were my headlight normaly fits and then into the turbo. But its a different thing if i was following another vehicle, you then are taking a much higher risk of things turning bad.

i dont want to use super fuel i think that is going a bit mental. im hoping to have water/meth installed as well thats as far as il take it with fuel additives. that and running 99 octane. my 373bhp (with misfire) run was done with octane 95!

I think with the map change to 99 and water/meth you should get that missing 27hp to 400 without a trumpet ;)