The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who is running NA-T?

FOSTA

Everyone has their own opinion, both produce good power. 400bhp with single turbo or 400bhp with twinturbo. I prefer the single.

Going NA-T costs next to nothing if you fit the parts yourself. What about millage? I know I have a good NA engine, how do you know what quality of TT engine your buying?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If all your wanting is 400hp its madness to try and single turbo an NA for it, IMHO. I'm all for na-t but for bpu power? false economy.

Everyone has their own opinion, both produce good power. 400bhp with single turbo or 400bhp with twinturbo. I prefer the single.

Going NA-T costs next to nothing if you fit the parts yourself. What about millage? I know I have a good NA engine, how do you know what quality of TT engine your buying?

Pmsl I started this thread to see who and how many people are running NA-T

And what power they are running and along with any problems they had came across going NA-T

( I think the problems bit might help outhers)

I sopose after reading members power levels and problems (if any)

Then any members thinking of going NA-T or TT this could help them make there mind up :)

I can't help but think this thread has turned into abit of a argument about what is better NA-T or TT lol

It would be nice if we could see members NA-T's

Power levels

Supporting mods

Pics and videos

And if we could here of any problems and what you done to fix them

Cheers guys :) big thanks

Edited by FOSTA (see edit history)

And what power they are running and along with any problems they had came across going NA-T

I sopose after reading members power levels and problems (if any)

Then any members thinking of going NA-T or TT this could help them make there mind up :)

I can't help but think this thread has turned into abit of a argument about what is better NA-T or TT lol

It would be nice if we could see members NA-T's

Power levels

Supporting mods

Pics and videos

And if we could here of any problems and what you done to fix them

I agree with the above!

Has definitely given me the information to back up a decision..

Yet again, thanks guys!

If all your wanting is 400hp its madness to try and single turbo an NA for it, IMHO. I'm all for na-t but for bpu power? false economy.

If you can't afford a TT, then you buy an NA. You put alot of hard work into your NA and effort making it look and feel how you want it. Suddenly you have to replace the engine or modify your own, it's easier and cheaper (if you do the work yourself) to NA-T. If it goes wrong, cheaper to replace. It's also more fun building your own engine.

Yes going single turbo for BPU power isn't big numbers, but people driving 220bhp want more power, this is the option. If they could afford a TT lump if all goes wrong OR swap in a 6speed or afford the odd R154 that lies about, they probably would of been able to buy a 6speed TT in the first place.

It comes down to money, and what you have. You can peace together the kit, bit at a time, and spec your engine how you want it.

"Just go buy a TT" is easy to say when you can afford it.

T61 turbo

XS manifold

7mgte 440cc injectors

Lightweight flywheel

Emanage Ultimate

With it running too lean and not firing right, I pulled 373bhp at 7psi, 310whp.

Future mods I hope to get a decent boost controller (current one doesn't work), and install a water/meth system. Possible custom cams, just for the fact to try something different :)

And maybe one day... Jekyl will sell me his R154 :D

If you can't afford a TT, then you buy an NA. You put alot of hard work into your NA and effort making it look and feel how you want it. Suddenly you have to replace the engine or modify your own, it's easier and cheaper (if you do the work yourself) to NA-T. If it goes wrong, cheaper to replace. It's also more fun building your own engine.

Yes going single turbo for BPU power isn't big numbers, but people driving 220bhp want more power, this is the option. If they could afford a TT lump if all goes wrong OR swap in a 6speed or afford the odd R154 that lies about, they probably would of been able to buy a 6speed TT in the first place.

It comes down to money, and what you have. You can peace together the kit, bit at a time, and spec your engine how you want it.

T61 turbo

XS manifold

7mgte 440cc injectors

Lightweight flywheel

Emanage Ultimate

Future mods I hope to get a decent boost controller (current one doesn't work), and install a water/meth system. Possible custom cams, just for the fact to try something different :)

Nice mate ;)

I would like to here what was causing the missfireing problem when you find it.

Also you made fantastic results with it playing up so I can't image what it will make when it's sorted but it's looking good ;)

Not just about money mate, most of the time when you read a build thread about an na-t you read just what you posted 'its running lean here and there' or 'it's not running right at startup' or the famous one 'it cuts out on the overun or when i stop at traffic lights'. Some people have built na-t's and they run well but then a lot of guys end up ditching their piggybacks and buying a standalone at over a grand without mapping to fix their bugs. Its all well and good saying its EASIER to single an na than to swap a TT but if you actually add up an na-t conversion and the hassle getting it to run and the mapping of a piggy back over and over then a TT and its plug and play reliability is a far more practicable option for bpu power. Newbies in here with na's will read that and believe that its gospel and i dont think its a fair statement.

T61 turbo

XS manifold

7mgte 440cc injectors

Lightweight flywheel

Emanage Ultimate

The problem with my engine was I had a water leak, the engine was running lean and I had a flat battery, and since the problem has been solved. This I expect was down to the ECU trying to correct a problem which just wasn't there, leaving everything disconnected has cleared the fault, and everything runs fine. It now pulls like a train and I couldn't be happier :)

I think it's down to personal choice. Lots of guys haven't had any issues :)

do you know why/how your boost is limited to 7psi, can you limit the boost to say 3psi and if so what's the best way to go about this, anyone? (weak wastegate?)

do you know why/how your boost is limited to 7psi, can you limit the boost to say 3psi and if so what's the best way to go about this, anyone? (weak wastegate?)

You can buy different wastegate springs mate so just buy a 3psi spring to suite your wastegate and it will open at 3psi :)

hi all some copy from nz supra forum::cool:You have 3 main options:

Sell the NA and buy a TT. This is the easist, simpliest and most probably cheapest option so give it very careful consideration.

Turbo your 2JZ-GE engine. Note: this information is not a guide on how to turbo a 2JZ-GE engine, just some information on the major items that are required to do so. Turboing the 2JZ-GE has been done a number of times in the USA and can make a very effective package. The NA has the same block, crank and rods as the TT and is a very strong motor that will withstand turboing quite well. It has a slightly better flowing exhaust port setup as well. You can use the std pistons but you will need to decompress the engine down from 10.0 to 8.5 by using a thicker head gasket. There are aftermarket exhaust manifolds for bolting a single turbo (any one you choose really) onto the engine. You can put up to 600bhp through the NA engine/drivetrain before things start to break. You will need extra fueling if you plan to go above 400+bhp though. You can use 2 extra injectors (eg. 550cc ea. with extra injector controller) in the inlet manifold as this should work quite well on the NA. Do not do this on a TT motor though due to the different inlet manifold design. The ECU will also need to be fooled into thinking there is no boost as it will not work if it sees boost pressure through the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. You will also need to do a heavy duty clutch upgrade.

Replace your 2JZ-GE with a 2JZ-GTE engine. This would involve an ECU change (and associated wiring harness changes) as well as the engine. Benefits are an inbuilt oil cooler and oil cooling under the pistons. Deficits are traction control (can be removed) and you "only" get 320bhp (Japan 280bhp) from std turbos, with around 420bhp (Japan 380bhp) at max boost from them.

Other considerations:

Replace the 5 speed/4 spd auto with the 6 speed Getrag box. The 5 speed is strong, so but will need replacing if drag racing is planned or you are running over 260rwkw. If you do replace it you will need to change the diff as well as the NA has a 4.1 diff and the TT auto is 3.7 and the TT 6 speed is 3.3. If you have an NA auto you will need to upgrade the auto as they will not withstand the extra torque from the turbo engine.

If your diff is not a Torsen LSD then you will need to get a LSD. Options are a TRD LSD or a secondhand factory Supra Torsen diff. Check your Trans code on the aluminium tag under the bonnet. If its A01A then you need a Torsen. If its A01B then your'e okay.

fuel pump - same on both motors so no worries there up to 550-600bhp

Edited by fixcz (see edit history)

Yeah I hear most people say it would be cheaper and better to do a TT SWAP but for some reason I love the idea of NA-T it's just something about it and I can't explained it lol *****yes my way is the same but this is my first supra na-t converzion.I have done many mistakes but after the finish and i think i have gone a good way. I have though about 3 options for buildin the car no1.cheap just buy the ex manifold ,turbo,3 inch exhaust system ,fic/6 or e-manage run the engine on low bost 0.6 bar will be happy for 340-380 rwhp.the price to be under 2k easy.no2 spend more money for tt-piston/full stand alone ecu/bigger injector/upgrade gear box w58 it wont handle the 470rwhp depending on how you drive.of course ceramic clutch kit.no3 spent mega money and change the engine completely and management like Jamie.P and ask him how it the match would cost 1200rwhp but if you drive the 1200rwhp you would be happy like a the roadrunner.:)