The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Snapped the prop (UPDATE now with video)

JamieP

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's different about this new one to the older uprated unit? I would have thought they'd use bigger U/J's and bigger tube OD for the hollow part of the shaft. It'd scare the heck out of me, having seen what a flailing prop can do if it decides to lathe through the floorpan, or dig into the road surface.

There's a thread showing when he had a prop hoop made up IIRC.

Its got a different end welded on, think this one is billet instead of cast, ive go prop loops going on both ends this time chris.

It's not the yoke that's failed though, the tube diameter, material or wall thickness is inadequate, and is crippling under the torque loadings. My Skyline prop I had made is probably 1/3 bigger on tube diameter, which makes a huge difference to torque transmission and shock load capacity, and I am running lots less torque through hard 265 section rear tyres. Are you sure this new one is going to be safe? Exploding flywheels and snapped props REALLY worry me. Take care, you are using up your nine lives uncomfortably quickly ;)

It's not the yoke that's failed though, the tube diameter, material or wall thickness is inadequate, and is crippling under the torque loadings. My Skyline prop I had made is probably 1/3 bigger on tube diameter, which makes a huge difference to torque transmission and shock load capacity, and I am running lots less torque through hard 265 section rear tyres. Are you sure this new one is going to be safe? Exploding flywheels and snapped props REALLY worry me. Take care, you are using up your nine lives uncomfortably quickly ;)

The one that failed in the first post is a stock prop chris, yes that one failed because of the small tube, the one above about is 3.5" and wont fail there, i twisted the spline on the old uprated one a very slight amount, this new one is supposed to be even stronger.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

I have a prop heat shield, make me a bid to pack it up and send it next week if you like, not looking for much.

You know what i was just thinking Chris, maybe i should give my damaged one to my fabricator and get him to make me one out of 4 or 5 mm plate and put some extra bolts in? worth it or waste of time?