The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sticker Front Number Plate

Josh42

i had a bike size plate on the front of mine (pic below) but had some bitchy "5.0" moan and said she would confiscate my car, i just laughed and said id replace it when i can. i just put the plate in the screen now and dont have one on the bumper, looks so much better and my excuse is it fell of if ever i get stopped :)

Using a reg plate that is incorrectly spaced, sized or made from non reflective material

looks like it could get you a fine of up to £1000 and the plate confiscated, so if it

was a reg you'd bought you might lose it !

You get 3 strikes on a private plate :)

I remember that ric!

Seemed okay about it. Think I'll just get the sticker and take it on the chin. Cheers folks!

Mate, on the bottom of your post it says " I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.658780,-2.025947 " you should change it, unless you want to be giving away where you live to everyone on the net lol!

And I had to laugh as well to be honest, think they only questioned it because I was on a petrol station and it probably looked as if I was trying to rob fuel.

- Edit, you've edited your post, scratch that ^

To my way of thinking it just says they are not aware, not that they are illegal. Surely if it meets all the other conditions it's ok? It also means the police shouldn't be able to give you a ticket unless they can prove it doesn't meet the set standards.

This is copyied from this link and my sticker plate meets all the requirements stated on this page so how it illegal?

"When replacing your number plate you should make sure that the correct material has been used to manufacture the plate. It should be made from a reflective material. Front number plates must display black characters on a white background and rear number plate must display black characters on a yellow background.

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency^is not aware of any self-adhesive number plates that meet the British Standard requirements.^

Characters on a number plate can be 3D, providing they meet all the other requirements, but honeycomb or other background patterns are not allowed.

Also, the characters on a number plate need to be a standard height and width.

Your number plate should show the correct:

character height - 79 millimetres

character width - 50 millimetres (except the figure 1 or letter I)

character stroke - 14 millimetres

space between characters - 11 millimetres

space between groups - 33 millimetres

top, bottom and side margins - minimum 11 millimetres

space between vertical lines - 19 millimetres"

It does state that vehicle agency is not aware of self adesive number plates but mine was made by a registared company and is british standard marked so maybe direct.gov needs up dating.. If it was so illegal how come tvr could use this style plates on new cars

Edited by sams (see edit history)

It does state that vehicle agency is not aware of self adesive number plates but mine was made by a registared company and is british standard marked so maybe direct.gov needs up dating.. If it was so illegal how come tvr could use this style plates on new cars

It's not flat, and just because the material used is BS marked that doesn't mean it's legal to use as a numberplate. Anyway, I'm bored of this arguement now. Like I said, take your chances and see what happens. I personally KNOW people who've been fined by traffic police. End of.

Ive had no problem with my stick on plate and i have cut it right down so their is no margin, its probably not noticeable as its on a white car.

TBH i only did it as i hate the look of the full length plastic ones, if i get pulled i will pay the fine and get another platsic one.