The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Price Discussion

Geo

I could probably count on 1 hand the amount of modded cars I would actually buy and not pull apart and do it what I would deem as properly.

I agree 100% with this - some cars may "look" nice from the pics, but when you get to the nitty gritty close up they may not be all that :)

Seeing as i recently bought mine thought i'd share.

HAD to be a 6speed manual ( No way was i having an auto)

Had to be a TT and a fairly stock one at that (dont like buying modified cars, after dealing with large good reputation companies that still bodge work like no tomorrow, i'd rather do it all myself and make sure its right)

Had to be a 98+ (although i didnt mind it being a facelift or not or the year for features, i needed to put my private plate on beginning with an S)

Had to be low millage (70k or under)

Colour wasnt much of a problem, as i like all colours the supra came in

Good mechanical/physical condtion

Would've liked an Aero, but they dont make TT6 aerotops so not really an issue

Had to be a J-Spec import as they stopped making the uk's in 96 and needed a 98 :)

Took me about 6 months to find mine but i found one with all the criteria above in a rare colour too. WELL WORTH the wait imo :D

Seeing as i recently bought mine thought i'd share.

HAD to be a 6speed manual ( No way was i having an auto)

Had to be a TT and a fairly stock one at that (dont like buying modified cars, after dealing with large good reputation companies that still bodge work like no tomorrow, i'd rather do it all myself and make sure its right)

Had to be a 98+ (although i didnt mind it being a facelift or not or the year for features, i needed to put my private plate on beginning with an S)

Had to be low millage (70k or under)

Colour wasnt much of a problem, as i like all colours the supra came in

Good mechanical/physical condtion

Would've liked an Aero, but they dont make TT6 aerotops so not really an issue

Had to be a J-Spec import as they stopped making the uk's in 96 and needed a 98 :)

Took me about 6 months to find mine but i found one with all the criteria above in a rare colour too. WELL WORTH the wait imo :D

Very similar to me. Although I was a bit more picky as had to be black or grey.:)

Any pics of your car...I take it that its a VVTi!?

The way I dicided which supra I wanted is simple; I waited to buy one that had all the expensive modifications that I wanted already on it.

The problem now is that I did not know that I was going to want more BHP...! So my future plan is to either sell my supra and buy a single, private trade it or find a single VVTI written off or whole car and change engines..!

The most practical though would be to sell it and buy another one..! Though with cash in hand it may be easy to go GTR route...! ;-)

For me was

colour white

6speed

Stock

I wanted a stock because I want to make the car look the way I want it to and change everything myself and be proud of the work taken on. Mileage just aint a issue for me, because I want to change everything in the bay anyway. Plus I got lucky, got everything i asked for and it just arrived in the country when I brought it.

I can't be happier at the moment well that's until I get a big single.

Edited by Dim Sum (see edit history)

For me it had to be the right spec first , had to be a TT6 with large brakes with Recaro seats before I even looked at anything else.. Then it had to be no less then a grade 4 car with as low miles on her as possible. I have always like the car as standard as possible... I kinda feel that I have more of a chance of it not been thrashed as much... God knows how I'm going to sell mine if that's the case with everyone else ! Lol. I'm happy now to by a modded car as you save so much money as long as the work been done well from a trustworthy garage

Very similar to me. Although I was a bit more picky as had to be black or grey.:)

Any pics of your car...I take it that its a VVTi!?

yeah i did put a thread up not long ago, or one in the "single photo" thread in multimedia

It is indeed a VVTi :) Mine is Gunmetal :)

Recaro's active aero and big brakes were also on my list of things to have!

Overall condition. Mechanically needed to be sound. Wasn't to bothered about it being a TT or NA, but decided on NA being my first real car :D but definitely a manual. As for service history I trust garages with my car as much as I would Fritzel baby sitting. Personal experience of garages in the past and stories of mishaps like Abz's. Would rather speak to the seller & make an assessment or do the work myself :)

I would't be that concerned with service history and book stamps. Bodywork can be put straight and these cars don't generally get rust issues, as long as it is mechanically sound, crank pulley and turbo seals good then you have an idea what you are getting into.

I have a service history book but I don't generally take it along to MOTs and such, I keep every receipt, every invoice in 2 big folders instead. I don't think I will ever sell anyhow.