The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rant- Paint bubbling

welshbuddy

Josh's car isnt any Cat as its never been claimed on by any insurance companys.

It has however been sprayed down the drivers side so that would explain why the paint has pimples but it wasent a cheap job so not sure why its doing it.

I personally wouldnt mess with it and see how it goes once its dried off.

I imagine in the warm weather, the pimples will disappear. Mine did.

Cheers guys, I hope so :)

I know as well, dude. I spoke to Si about it. I'll see how it is, and this week, the engine I'm taking apart will go into the shed, and I'll try and get the car in the garage :)

It'll be the result of a cheap blow over in damp conditions, most likely the exporter or importer, it takes maybe a year or three to show up, but then an expensive job to put right.

The exporters/importers have had your money, so grease up your wallet or live with a pimply Supra. :shrug:

Spot on, the freezing conditions expand the moisture under the paint and micro blisters result. proper fix is a bare metal respray. I'd live with it, the alternative is hugely expensive.

Make sure that the spray booth and heating system is fully functional, but more to the point, they are not being forced to work on such tight margins that they are reluctant to get the car up to temp for a few hours *BEFORE* painting it. Once you get micro blistering, unless you can be 110% sure it's just in a top coat, it's bare metal respray time, which equals a HUGE bill. Only worth it if you can prep the car yourself. Moving or just storing a bare metal shell is problematic in our climate, to make matters worse. Live with it, cock it up and flog it, or throw love and money at it and never be able to look your wife in the eye when the bank statements come ;)

Make sure that the spray booth and heating system is fully functional, but more to the point, they are not being forced to work on such tight margins that they are reluctant to get the car up to temp for a few hours *BEFORE* painting it. Once you get micro blistering, unless you can be 110% sure it's just in a top coat, it's bare metal respray time, which equals a HUGE bill. Only worth it if you can prep the car yourself. Moving or just storing a bare metal shell is problematic in our climate, to make matters worse. Live with it, cock it up and flog it, or throw love and money at it and never be able to look your wife in the eye when the bank statements come ;)

This happened to my bonnet during the last cold snap- checked out by one of my friends who works for a Mr T bodyshop. He came to the same conclusion as Chris -to repair would cost me as a friend £400 to take back to bare metal and respray properly or as he said better just get another one and have that sprayed which would cost circa £200. I am just living with it at the moment do Dragonball and then source a bonnet to bring it back up to scratch - the bubbles if severe will not go away

This happened to my bonnet during the last cold snap- checked out by one of my friends who works for a Mr T bodyshop. He came to the same conclusion as Chris -to repair would cost me as a friend £400 to take back to bare metal and respray properly or as he said better just get another one and have that sprayed which would cost circa £200. I am just living with it at the moment do Dragonball and then source a bonnet to bring it back up to scratch - the bubbles if severe will not go away

Luckily, they aren't too bad. I only noticed them as the light was at the right angle, and then I checked the whole car over. Hopefully they'll go down.

It may have happened last time it snowed, and I just didn't notice :)

Toyota have had a problem with this. Ive had celica's and mr2's come to me with original paint that has started doing this. Dont know why, but it has been present on a few. Some got away with sanding back and bringing back up. But the worst were taken right back and resprayed.