The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Antifreeze question

Blackie

It doesn't have to be any particular brand. I dare say some will be better than others for longevity but as long as you get long life it should do what it says on the tin.

The most important thing is that it's ethylene glycol as far as I know. Halfords is one that I know is the correct blend hence why I usually choose it.

Colour doesn't matter although I would suggest flushing out the system before changing brands/colours as the ingredients might be slightly different.

Spot on, especially the bit in bold. That's exactly what the official workshop manual says. If I had a screen grab of that page I'd post it up here, to finally put to rest people's concerns about not using 4Life. :)

Do you not have to use the red stuff from Toyota?

ABSOLUTELY and CATEGORICALLY not!! It's overpriced and nothing special. It's red because it has a dye in it that changes colour when it gets acidic through very old age. Apart from that worthless property, that should never manifest itself if you change it every three years, it's no better than any other ethylene glycol based antifreeze from any factors. Sinful waste of money, it horrifies me when people think it's compulsory :) Toyota themselves, in the Supra and other handbooks say use "an ethylene glycol based antifreeze", no specific mention of 4 Life.

• 2 weeks later...

It's easy to get a trade card, I work part time at my dads powdercoating worksa and just flashed his business card. I told them I need tools, sandpaper, paints etc.

You don't specifically have to work in a garage. :)

Sparkplugs, wipers, oil filters, bulbs are pretty much half price. Batteries have good discount. I got £20 off their £99 3Ton trolley jack.

But its a 50/50 mix of af and water? How muc pure af would i need to put in? I dont want to get pre mix as it paying for water

I think you have to use special water though. Normal tap water won't do.

Edit: You have to use distilled water.

It's easy to get a trade card, I work part time at my dads powdercoating worksa and just flashed his business card. I told them I need tools, sandpaper, paints etc.

You don't specifically have to work in a garage. :)

Still sounds tricky for someone like me who drives a desk for a living. I have asked, and they wouldn't give me one. I'd need to borrow someone's business card I guess.

But its a 50/50 mix of af and water? How muc pure af would i need to put in? I dont want to get pre mix as it paying for water

Were you on the blue smarties last night? :D

In order to mix it before you put it in, and in order to get an accurate measure of 50/50, buy 5l of antifreeze. Pour 5l of antifreeze into a container that can hold 10l or more. Fill the now empty antifreeze bottle with water (this gives you 5l of water) then pour it into the container with the antifreeze in it.

Not sure how accurate you want it but given the residue that is potentially in the antifreeze bottle and the fact that you won't know EXACTLY where the 5L fill point is on the AF container you could potentially end up with 51/49 or 49/51 but I'm pretty sure that would be ok.

Next week... shoelace tying for beginners :)

I think you have to use special water though. Normal tap water won't do.

Edit: You have to use distilled water.

Can't say I've ever bothered with that. I know you guys get a hell of a lot of limescale in your water though so perhaps that's why I don't feel the need to bother :D

Yes mate, that's the one I bought :)

There's a fair bit of leeway in the mixing ratio: a 50/50 mix will probably allow you to drive within the artic circle in the depths of winter, as it will protect down to something like -20 deg C.

I use distilled water. It's dirt cheap for the peace of mind it gives (I don't want my heater matrix looking like the inside of my kettle).

There's a fair bit of leeway in the mixing ratio: a 50/50 mix will probably allow you to drive within the artic circle in the depths of winter, as it will protect down to something like -20 deg C.

I use distilled water. It's dirt cheap for the peace of mind it gives (I don't want my heater matrix looking like the inside of my kettle).

The water you guys have is shocking though. I honestly had no idea what limescale was when I was younger. Kept seeing these adverts for products to take it away so I assumed we had a house full of them as I had never seen it lol.

Were you on the blue smarties last night? :D

In order to mix it before you put it in, and in order to get an accurate measure of 50/50, buy 5l of antifreeze. Pour 5l of antifreeze into a container that can hold 10l or more. Fill the now empty antifreeze bottle with water (this gives you 5l of water) then pour it into the container with the antifreeze in it.

Not sure how accurate you want it but given the residue that is potentially in the antifreeze bottle and the fact that you won't know EXACTLY where the 5L fill point is on the AF container you could potentially end up with 51/49 or 49/51 but I'm pretty sure that would be ok.

Next week... shoelace tying for beginners :)

I just drained it and put 4lt in, Cant wait for the shoe tying lessons :)

You drained it all and it only took 4 litres? I hope air cools the engine down effectively :D

It might not have been drained completely. There's a coolant drain plug in the block itself, but AFAIK not many people bother with that one; they just drain from the bottom of the radiator.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over not completely draining it, as long as you've got a large proportion of the old coolant out.

It might not have been drained completely. There's a coolant drain plug in the block itself, but AFAIK not many people bother with that one; they just drain from the bottom of the radiator.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over not completely draining it, as long as you've got a large proportion of the old coolant out.

I just drained mine from the bottom of the radiator and it still took over 9L when I fitted the new rad.

were you on the blue smarties last night? :D

in order to mix it before you put it in, and in order to get an accurate measure of 50/50, buy 5l of antifreeze. Pour 5l of antifreeze into a container that can hold 10l or more. Fill the now empty antifreeze bottle with water (this gives you 5l of water) then pour it into the container with the antifreeze in it.

Not sure how accurate you want it but given the residue that is potentially in the antifreeze bottle and the fact that you won't know exactly where the 5l fill point is on the af container you could potentially end up with 51/49 or 49/51 but i'm pretty sure that would be ok.

Next week... Shoelace tying for beginners :)

this......................... Is brilliant