The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-T build

-Welsh-Stealth-

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as we waited for the horsepower fairy to deliver the magical clutch we set about getting the intercooler all lined up and ready for the engine and gearbox to be dropped back in.

Craig with his vast skill& knowledge of intercooler fitting found us some nice straight bars of mild steel for fitting the intercooler. it was strong enough to hold the intercooler in place but also needed to be soft enough to bend into shape and drill.

so i set about getting the measurements. luckily Craigs TSS NA-T was sat out the front of the garage with the front bumper removed for easy movement on&off the trailer. so i get my handy sharpy out and lined up the bit of steel with his bracket. i marked up the start and the finish of the bracket and then cut it to size. with the top brackets cut to size i then lined them back up and marked out the bends. then came the really skilled part....i picked up a hammer and with the bracket held in the vice proceeded to smash it into shape!lol! :D with this i would bend it slightly then take it to the brackets on the car to make sure they were lining up. after the bracket had been bent in to shape it then needed to be drilled. so again sharpy came out&i marked up roughly where the holes needed to be and drilled them in. if your doing this and using a battery powered drill, top tip would be charging it before hand ;) no prizes for guessing what we forgot to do :D lol!

with the brackets bent, cut& drilled we then attached the Intercooler& the top brackets to the car. it was connected to the frame that runs between the headlights as you can see in the pictures ;)

with the intercooler now in place it was easier fitting the bottom brackets. as the brackets could be measured straight up to the holes once cut to size. and then marked out. i used the frame under the radiator where the engine&front bumper undertrays would screw in. then back on it with that charged up drill :) then put them on :)

i did also make bottom brackets for my setrab oil cooler to mount behind the intercooler. which tidied things up a little :)

with the intercooler in place we set about putting the engine into place to measure up the intercooler piping after Craig got technical with a hammer& drill ;) he put a hole through the panel just behind the drivers side headlight where the NA airbox would sit. this required a drill& hammer while i sat in the office and put my fingers in my ears :faint:

it was made gig enough to fit the piping through and so we set about lining up the piping and marking out where it needed to be cut to make it fit.we did the cutting with a saw along the lines we had marked up. after they had been cut to size Craig made sure the open ends were flared so as to stop the intercooler piping popping of on boost. these where hammered out with a chissel so as just to create enough of a lip so as they piping wouldn't pop off.

with all the piping cut, flared and measured we put it all together to make sure it fitted with the engine in the car. as seen in the pictures ;)

Dizzy.

with everything almost ready to go the dizzy needed sorting. i had taken the standard NA dizzy off earlier in the build.it is a simple 3 screws that you can see on the outside of the plastic housing.

with the new rotor arm delivered and fitted, as mine was knackered. the new Rav 4 dizzy was fitted. again nice& simple, just the 3 screws to hold it on ;)

i wrote down the origional layout of the leads earlier when it was taken off, so as to make refitment easier& less time consuming....but Craig had already had the new rav4 layout already written down from his build....alot less time consuming! :D so it was all pluged up to the sparkplugs & ready.

pics here:

http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/k604/SupraSte4lth/Supra%20NA-T%20build/intercooler%20fitment/

• 4 weeks later...

havent been on here in a long time as been busy with other things sold my supra and now own a TT gto nice to see you made a thread and that all went well and it made decent power guess all those that claim buying a full well known kit at high cost often over look the build it piece by piece approach !! well done mate if your ever around manchester take me for a spin lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

right its been months since i've touched this thread. and there has been a good couple of NA-T's made :salute:

so it's about time i finished this and put it to bed! as im thinking of going further with my NA-T and have bought a new engine to do so :ecstatic:

anyways back to where i left off:

after waiting a good few days for competition clutch to get themselves into gear, we finally got the correct clutch... origionally we had waited a good few days and the clutch hadnt even been sent so me and Craig sent Ali (a good mutual friend and 200sx owner) to kidderminster to collect his and my new clutch....however upon arrival he origionally walked out with the wrong sx clutch. so he went back in and corrected there slight mistake... then, after the couple of hours drive back down to Cardiff(in wales)he arrived late at night. for us only to find that he was also given the wrong clutch...it was for the getrag not the w58...at this point we all got slightly, upset...

:banghead:

anyway Craig politely got onto his contact who then promised he would bring down the correct clutch the next day personally... so i stayed in bed and waited for the call from Craig. after the phonecall& the short train trip from Hereford i arrived at the garage to find Craig was unable to control himself and fitted the CORRECT clutch :D as seen in the pics. nicely the clutch came with an alignment tool :)

so with the clutch now on the back of the engine we set about putting the gearbox back on. it was only a few bolts, nice and easy. then we set about getting it back in. luckily we had Craigs little garage gnome to hand who helped us watch it in. first things first we lowered it onto the engine mounts and left it connected to the engine hoist. and got underneath and re-attached the prop shaft to the gearbox. nice and simples. slots in with a couple of bolts here& there.taking it apart you will see how it goes back together ;)

then was the task of connecting all the powersteering lines, the loom to the ECU& piggyback.

i set about putting all the powersteering lines back together and pocked through the loom just above the passengers footwell for the ECU. i let Craig crack on with the wiring of the Emanage piggyback ECU as to fair i didn't have a clue and i HATE electrics! :) he set about doing it with info from the NA-Tclub and from cross referencing from his own NA-T track car, and eventually got it working. if you have any questions on this i'd fire them his way!

we had had the time to check the fmic piping, so marrying it back up was nice and easy. fitted the exhaust to the downpipe& the downpipe to the turbo. nice and easy, couple of gaskets. two nuts and bolts on the 2nd decat pipe- downpipe and a clamp from downpipe-turbo. and not forgetting to connect the radiator backup with the hsoing aswell ;)

with everything back in& back in place plus more :eyebrows: time to check everything was tightened up and connected properley for the oils and lubes. so nice shiney new oil went in(10w 40 part synthetic castrol magnatec for me), fresh powersteering fluid and fresh red coolant!

with everything back in i also set about wiring in the aem afr gauge and the apexi boost gauge. it was nice and simple. find where you want your gauges and work around it. the aem came with a nice simple screw in lambda and as with both gauges i found a gromit the drivers side of the dash just behind the ignition barrel. i took a live and earth from the clock loom which i removed for the aem afr gauge to sit in place of. the afr gauge as with the boost gauge came with the instructions. so it was nice and simple to wire in. with the booost gauge i tried wiring the ilumination wire to the ilumination wire of the clock but had dramas, causing the side lights to stay on and the odo to flash...so to overcome this i took a live straight from the ignition barrel put spade connectors in the wire with a fuse and earthed it straight to the chassis. and connected the sensor for the boost gauge to a standard breather pipe from the NA throttlebody.

after everything was back in, connected, filled up and bled it was time to see if the fruits of our labour had payed off :D

http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/k604/SupraSte4lth/Supra%20NA-T%20build/

videos to follow...

and shortly after i took the car to GotBoost in bridgend southwales. a well known dyno to the sxoc. and Craig from GotBoost worked his magic.

Edited by -Welsh-Stealth- (see edit history)

You have no idea how much I can not wait

It's mad what you miss about the UK but loathe when you're there lol

Yep McDonald's & op massive goes out the window!? Ha ha!

Welsh, you going pod?

Who?what?when??? Sounds good! Count me in if I'm not working :D

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! Sounds epic. I want.

Ha ha ha! Cheers Gaz!