The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TonyTT's Crank Pulley Luckyness !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geo

yeah you mark the crank pulley, and belt then start car, if they dont line up in the same position, then the belt/pulley is slipping, time to change

That is not the correct way to tippex test!

you need to put the tippex across the 2 parts of the pulley then start the car, the pulley is 2 parts inner which is attached to crank and the outer that the belt goes on with a rubber holding them together (which is what fails) this is what makes them harmonic as the rubber takes in the vibration.

People seem to forget about the pulley when they go mental upgrading their engines. The one on my Aristo seperated but stayed in place, making the typical fan belt squealing sound as the inner and outer parts slipped.

You were lucky there was no associated damage Tony :)

That is not the correct way to tippex test!

you need to put the tippex across the 2 parts of the pulley then start the car, the pulley is 2 parts inner which is attached to crank and the outer that the belt goes on with a rubber holding them together (which is what fails) this is what makes them harmonic as the rubber takes in the vibration.

As above :thumbs:

Lets hope you've no problems due to temp going through the roof, fingers crossed for you

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Very lucky Tony, it's been said a few times now, the crank pulleys are a failure item now and need replacing if you don't know it has been done already.

If it goes and your unlucky, it flies around taking the other pumps, radiator and even putting a nice dent in your bonnet

Anyway a pick of how the Tip-Ex test looks if it's starting to fail

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?174726-O-Crap.-Looks-light-my-Crank-pulley-is-going

I had exact same thing when the sprayers went to take my car into there garage the pulley cracked and broke of and belt still ok? in the end had to get whole lot anyway because belt was squeekin when cold which was annoying.

all I can say is bloody expensive

Very lucky Tony, it's been said a few times now, the crank pulleys are a failure item now and need replacing if you don't know it has been done already.

If it goes and your unlucky, it flies around taking the other pumps, radiator and even putting a nice dent in your bonnet

Anyway a pick of how the Tip-Ex test looks if it's starting to fail

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?174726-O-Crap.-Looks-light-my-Crank-pulley-is-going

Thanks for that mate. I was very lucky indeed the outer casing just dropped straight down and the belt hopped onto the remaining part.

Belt looks ok but i have a new better safe than sorry.

I had exact same thing when the sprayers went to take my car into there garage the pulley cracked and broke of and belt still ok? in the end had to get whole lot anyway because belt was squeekin when cold which was annoying.

all I can say is bloody expensive

It happenned on my last tt6 mate and stupidly put it to toyota £800 the robbers took off me. Got the parts from Paul this time and should be a fairly easy job for a local garage.

Fitting a new pulley is a simple enough job, IF you have the right tools. I would suggest a locking tool for removing the bolt, and a device for pulling the pulley off the shaft, are essential. Also a breaker bar and scaffold pole extension come in handy :)

See i have none of these parts unfortunately, trying to find someone that will lend me them for the weekend then ill send them back. Desperate to get it done as need the car for everyday use and i cannot afford to get a garage to do it unfortunately.

Hi mate, did you change this yourself. The exact same happened to me the other day, mine has flown off somewhere on a byepass though along with most of the blades off my fan. I have ordered my bits and having to fit it myself which i hear is an absolute nightmare.

That's a bitch Kieren it took all that with it i was very lucky and left all intact it fell straight down and sat on the intercooler pipe.

Havent changed it myself i was advised not to. Not because its a hard job but because im simple lol i don't have any patience for things and i'd

probably attack it with a hammer. As said if you have the proper tools it's a fairly easy job mate.

That's a bitch Kieren it took all that with it i was very lucky and left all intact it fell straight down and sat on the intercooler pipe.

Havent changed it myself i was advised not to. Not because its a hard job but because im simple lol i don't have any patience for things and i'd

probably attack it with a hammer. As said if you have the proper tools it's a fairly easy job mate.

I think a friend will be helping me with it this weekend but it does look a hard job just getting the old one off!!

Yeah it is a shame, im gutted, would be ok if i was driving quick but i was driving economically.. Guess these things just go through wear and tear. As soon as its fixed the supra is going. Dont want it or the running costs anymore. Probably sell it dirt cheap too to get rid.

I think a friend will be helping me with it this weekend but it does look a hard job just getting the old one off!!

Yeah it is a shame, im gutted, would be ok if i was driving quick but i was driving economically.. Guess these things just go through wear and tear.

I was the same mate i was in an average speed camera zone when mine went! Just aswell if i was'nt really moving god knows what damage it could have done.

I was the same mate i was in an average speed camera zone when mine went! Just aswell if i was'nt really moving god knows what damage it could have done.

Guess i was just unlucky, can imagine they spin at some speed so when it sheared off it must have just went into the spinning fan. Made a really big bang when it went. S0dding car, least there isnt any damage to the engine.