The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jurgen in Hospital - small update

Jurgen-Jm-Imports

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I'm aware you need to take lenses out daily to clean, I knew someone who had contact lenses who didn't take them out just left them in, his eyes caught an infection and went manky, needed medical care for few days from what I remember.

Needless to say he now wears glasses.

Guest adam b

i hope you get your sight fixed up mate ,the qwaks are great these days and can do wonders ,and if you have a bit of cash spare ther privet docs in harley street london are the best in the world,

,iv been messed around by the nhs couldent find whats wrong with me ,i had a privet conseltaion cost me £350 but he found the problem with a few xrays and feeling me. he done in 2 weeks what took the nhs a year . all the best jurgen hope your well soon and bringing more nice cars into the country. adam b

As a lens wearer, how does this happen?

I am assuming that something gets between the lens and the eye to cause an infection. I may go for laser eye surgery as having lenses is a pain never mind the risks of infection.

H.

Acanthamoeba is found any warm water, usually harmless to an eye but prolonged contact if it's trapped under or inside the lens matrix means chances of it causing an infection increase. Not a nice infection at all! I'm not saying Jurgen did this, but it's the main reason people are advised not to swim or shower in contact lenses.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/contacts/acanthamoeba-keratitis.htm

That's assuming it was this type of fungus!

Great post Kopite. Are daily disposable lenses better for us people who work in dirty environments? Or hard lenses?

Best wishes to Jurgen, how is he doing?

Can look at it a couple of different ways Chris, depends on how the relationship between someone's eye and their particular lenses. Contacts in general is all a bit trial and error.

Dailies have their advantages being disposable but they can dry out more for some people and tend to be a bit more limited in prescription ranges. The optics of a hard lens (as opposed to any soft, be it monthly or daily) are superior so coming away from them is difficult for some. The lens is unlikely to become contaminated due to it's material and nature but it can get scratched like a glasses lens so all sorts could build up in the scratches, then you'd be relying on the cleaner working effectively. Soft montly disposable lenses would be the least preferred as they can soak up crap in general and have to be reused.

The general consensus would say that dailies would be the preferable option but then the increased use of safety glasses lowers the risk anyway :)

I have never tried a hard lens, it would be interesting to have a visual acuity comparison.

Due to them being custom made for your particular prescription and eye shape, a lot of wearers love them. The main gripe is they're not easily available on a trial basis, some can't get used to the feel of them after wearing soft lenses. A pair are on average £80-100 so in the long run they'd be cheaper than softs but if you don't like them, you don't always get your money back.

Is Jurgen still in the RVI Linzi?

he is improving day by day and is in the right place.

doctors just say it was a serious infection and he has to take each day as it comes.

they are hoping he is able to get out next week with hopefully some vision back but its early days.

we just need to wait and cross that bridge when it comes to it, newcastle rvi has some of the best eye doctors.