The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Amazed at the poor customer service from Sky Insurance

DodgyRog

I was with SKY for a number of years too (4 or 5). My only reason for paying over the odds in comparison year after year was for agreed value.

When it came to renewing my insurance recently the sky agent on the phone said that they hadn't done agreed value for a few years and the only time my policy actually had it was the 1st year I was with them, effectively they had mis-sold me insurance for a number of years after that. When I confronted Guy about this, effectively his attitude was quite patronising and fairly unacceptable.

I appreciate that people make mistakes and sometimes its a case of pure incompetence. In their case it could be the latter else they are simply thieves.

To have them as a club insurer is very unfortunate. I don't see them having my business ever again and certainly wont be recommending them to anyone else, member or not.

Strong words there Imi, but again there are two sides to that story, I'd encourage you to post the PM's I sent you onto the forum and allow people to draw their own conclusion. Suffice to say, I think it would ring alarm bells with most people if they took at an agreed value polcy with us one year, went through the application process but didn't for the following years.. would one not duduce that something was missing? An agreed value application is a yearly process, it doesn't just continue each year. A car condition and value can change a lot over a year, let alone over a few years.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I just say I happy to apologise openly if the recording doesn't give any evidence of the feeling I got, but it was what I felt. If I had got the follow up call I waited a couple of days for, this thread would of never of been started, even with me going elsewhere

Edit:

The fact that we have a "club discount" in my mind should mean that for the majority of members, Sky should be the cheaper option. It seems like this might not be the case anymore but, compared to the number of members of this forum, the number of complaints in this regard would seem to be low. However, as Branners has mentioned, Sky help us out with insurance for club events etc. too.

This logic doesn't follow - the discount is a percentage cut off the quotation, not a price match plus a few quid. I certainly don't recall seeing any claims that they would be the cheapest around. Happy to be proved wrong of course.

Can I just say I happy to apologise openly if the recording doesn't give any evidence of the feeling I got, but it was what I felt. If I had got the follow up call I waited a couple of days for, this thread would of never of been started, even with me going elsewhere

Rog - dont think you have any reason to apologise regardless of how the recording sounds as this isn't the 1st thread about them not acting in our best interest.

This is a real shame and I hope you are not serious.. sure, we have some area restrictions, in the case of Purity14 I assume he lives in an 'L' Liverpool postcode which unfortunately is excluded from our car club scheme. We insure Supras in high volumes in many postcodes north of the Watford gap!

I'm from York, if you do insure up here then I'll give you guys a try :)

Also Ollie, it was the impression I felt as I put the phone down and the fact I never got the call back seemed to back my feeling and I also dont understand why no one even queried why I was leaving you when I phone back to cancel the renewal

Hi again,

tracking back a little, I do apologise you did not receive a call back on that same day, unfortunately our renewals manager left early through sickness and left David in the office on his own. Looking at his phone log he tried to call you on the 3rd (day after) and then sent a letter to you on the 5th and called again on the 9th before you spoke to us on the 11th. We are also as disappointed as you are that the member of staff you spoke to on the 11th did not more of an effort to retain your business.

Edited by SkyInsurance (see edit history)

I have to say Ive been with Sky for a number of years, and although not the cheapest out there Ive had nothing but good, polite service from day one. When I swapped from a van to a car, the policy had to be cancelled and a new one started, most of the costs were covered by Sky themselves. Id class that as good service and an effort to retain customers :)

This logic doesn't follow - the discount is a percentage cut off the quotation, not a price match plus a few quid. I certainly don't recall seeing any claims that they would be the cheapest around. Happy to be proved wrong of course.

I think much of the negative stuff I see posted on here about renewal prices isn't so much the fact that our rate has increased but other companies have come in much cheaper than the previous year rate.

I think the main reason for this is, due to your vehicles age they are moving into the classic, cherished, future classic type policy. And away from the performance vehicle polices. So its more the fact that some of you guys are qualifying for a type of policy that wasn’t previously available to you, rather than Sky trying to rip anyone off.

I was the person who wrote the original insurance scheme for the club and it suited the needs of the members at the time, but that was 6 years ago.

With this in mind I am already working on a cherished car rate for you, which will be available very soon. Although these policies have a much stricter acceptance criterion they are certainly a lot less expensive.

Hope this explains things a little

Jae

Underwriting Manager

Guest Mini_the_Minx

I try not to get involved in these kind of things but just my two cents worth.

When I had my 1380 supercharged Mini, Flux wanted close to £4000 off of me and that was without agreed value, mods covered like for like, etc. SKY were a club insurer for another forum I was on at the time and gave me a very reasonable quote of £1300 including mods covered and a £10,000 agreed value because of the sheer amount of mods and work the car had had, they even covered custom paintwork. They were uber helpful and very polite on the phone.

Then I looked at getting a Skyline once the Mini was done and they weren't able to quote me, because of my age if I remember correctly and can't quote me for a Supra either. I understand they are more powerful stock and more expensive to repair, etc, etc but I don't really get how they can quote me for my monster of a Mini yet not for a stock sport car, even a UK spec. I know some insurers can't and won't quote anyone younger than 25/23 but it appeared in this case it was simply because of the reputation of the car.

I *think* it was Ollie I pmed a few times on the other forum I was on and always found him to be lovely but then everyone has their off days. Not that I'm trying to justify the type of treatment others have received.

I have to say Ive been with Sky for a number of years, and although not the cheapest out there Ive had nothing but good, polite service from day one. When I swapped from a van to a car, the policy had to be cancelled and a new one started, most of the costs were covered by Sky themselves. Id class that as good service and an effort to retain customers :)

Thanks for this, I know this is going to sound perhaps boastful but you are one of a large number of happy Mkiv Supra OC customers who are happy with our service and have been on board for sometime. Not everyone posts positive feedback for us though, which we can understand.

I *think* it was Ollie I pmed a few times on the other forum I was on and always found him to be lovely but then everyone has their off days. Not that I'm trying to justify the type of treatment others have received.

I recognise your username actually so it must have been me you spoke to, I cannot recall which club it was from though. Thanks for your feedback as well, it is appreciated.

Just touching quickly on what you say, as a broker, when insuring a RWD turbo car, we usually look for experience of a similar car, it may well be that our underwriters would not except the experience of the FWD mini as being relavent enough, despite the power output.

It is always worth trying us again though.

Guest Mini_the_Minx
I recognise your username actually so it must have been me you spoke to, I cannot recall which club it was from though. Thanks for your feedback as well, it is appreciated.

Just touching quickly on what you say, as a broker, when insuring a RWD turbo car, we usually look for experience of a similar car, it may well be that our underwriters would not except the experience of the FWD mini as being relavent enough, despite the power output.

It was on British Mods, I think I was asking you about cover for paintwork

Are you able to take into account experience on another policy, ie being named driver on someone elses policy?

I did actually request a call a few weeks ago on your website, but nobody called me ;)

It was on British Mods, I think I was asking you about cover for paintwork

Are you able to take into account experience on another policy, ie being named driver on someone elses policy?

I did actually request a call a few weeks ago on your website, but nobody called me ;)

Ah yes, and a customer of the fairer sex, how could I forget!

We'd look at each case on it's own merit but usually for a Supra we would want to see genuine NCB.

Feel free to PM me your details (surname, postcode) and contact number.

Thanks

Ollie

So do you now insure under 23s? I was told you couldn't when I called before.

While you are waiting for me to get home Ollie, can you work out the other points in my problem

As in

Why my renewal was over £100 more than LWIB and APlan Thatham quoted even though they both uses the same underwriter (Mark Study from memory)

Why I never receives the call back after the first call

Why when I phone to cancel the renewal, all I got asked was what's your address and full name

While you are waiting for me to get home Ollie, can you work out the other points in my problem

As in

Why my renewal was over £100 more than LWIB and APlan Thatham quoted even though they both uses the same underwriter (Mark Study from memory)

Why I never receives the call back after the first call

Why when I phone to cancel the renewal, all I got asked was what's your address and full name

Hi Roger,

I believe Jae has answered your first query:

I think much of the negative stuff I see posted on here about renewal prices isn't so much the fact that our rate has increased but other companies have come in much cheaper than the previous year rate.

I think the main reason for this is, due to your vehicles age they are moving into the classic, cherished, future classic type policy. And away from the performance vehicle polices. So its more the fact that some of you guys are qualifying for a type of policy that wasn’t previously available to you, rather than Sky trying to rip anyone off.

I was the person who wrote the original insurance scheme for the club and it suited the needs of the members at the time, but that was 6 years ago.

With this in mind I am already working on a cherished car rate for you, which will be available very soon. Although these policies have a much stricter acceptance criterion they are certainly a lot less expensive.

Hope this explains things a little

Jae

Underwriting Manager

and I have answered the rest.

Thanks

Ollie