The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jamesy's 0-95, 0-100 and 70-120 VIDEO pulls!!

Jamesy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why it can't be shifted in manual mode? It shouldn't be hitting the rev limiter like that before it changes out of first, it must be wasting a lot of time bouncing off the limiter instead of grabbing the next gear and using the engine's torque. Hasn't David2009 or whatever he calls himself, with the supercharged N/A project, got some sort of programmable auto box controller that lets you set shift limits and I think run in full manual mode?

I don't understand why it can't be shifted in manual mode? It shouldn't be hitting the rev limiter like that before it changes out of first, it must be wasting a lot of time bouncing off the limiter instead of grabbing the next gear and using the engine's torque. Hasn't David2009 or whatever he calls himself, with the supercharged N/A project, got some sort of programmable auto box controller that lets you set shift limits and I think run in full manual mode?

Apparently BL say it will ruin the sync in the box as the butterly is still open as you bang it mechanically through the gears, unlike on a normal once where the butterfly closes.

Its really frustrating as it doesn seem to waste a valuable second. The only way would be to wire in an electrical gear changing function so its not mechanically being banged into the gears, but electronically.

Cant the Syvecs control the gear changes.

No the Syvecs cant do that, the only was is with a controller. There is one available, turns it into a tiptronic so you can change gear with padels. This will solve the problem if James can raise the funds.

Maybe we should have a whip round, he needs £500.00 to make it possible. :)

Hi Jamesy,

Just got round to reviewing these vids - sorry 'bout the delay!

The 1st change looks like wheelspin, if not it could be the box slipping. It'll get worse if so. My 1st BL box would hit the limiter when I broke it before going into 2nd then wouldn't change up at all = broken 2nd gear sprag. The way it revs and when the hi stall stops slipping (going on engine tone) sounds normal compared to mine - the low rpm changes in the last vid just looks like you pussied out :D cos it'll change at lower RPM when not gunning it.

Speedo convertor is a good shout - if you have one, try taking it out of the loop and see if the behaviour changes, some of them put out an incorrect signal to the box which causes issues.

Boostlogic blamed my occassional manual shifting when my 1st BL box failed. Reasoning was that increased line pressure is part of the mods they do to the box, using MANU mode also increases line pressure so the combo ends up with dangerously high line pressures causing component failure.

Launch control is for girls - no need for it with your setup IMO. Are you running at Supra Pod? Should see decent times if you can get the launch nailed through hard power braking on the line as per last description I gave you on launching it . Say Hi if you're there so I can watch your runs :)

Cheers,

Brian.

Ask Ryan what he thinks of scaling (not clamp) the RPM that the stock ECU is seeing for gear-control back down to 7000 down from what you're letting it see (upto 8500). The stock ECU would then see the change rpm and loads at right moment (your hi RPM) and also it would move the electronic control of the t/c solenoid lockup to the more appropriate moment also - ie. higher rpm, as you have raised this mechanically also. Scale would do both, and doesn't have to be linear.

No the Syvecs cant do that, the only was is with a controller. There is one available, turns it into a tiptronic so you can change gear with padels. This will solve the problem if James can raise the funds.

Maybe we should have a whip round, he needs £500.00 to make it possible. :)

Whip around Friday.

Apparently BL say it will ruin the sync in the box as the butterly is still open as you bang it mechanically through the gears, unlike on a normal once where the butterfly closes.

Its really frustrating as it doesn seem to waste a valuable second. The only way would be to wire in an electrical gear changing function so its not mechanically being banged into the gears, but electronically.

james the butterfly your talking about closing on shift is the traction flap you have removed !

Hi Jamesy,

Just got round to reviewing these vids - sorry 'bout the delay!

The 1st change looks like wheelspin, if not it could be the box slipping. It'll get worse if so. My 1st BL box would hit the limiter when I broke it before going into 2nd then wouldn't change up at all = broken 2nd gear sprag. The way it revs and when the hi stall stops slipping (going on engine tone) sounds normal compared to mine - the low rpm changes in the last vid just looks like you pussied out :D cos it'll change at lower RPM when not gunning it.

Speedo convertor is a good shout - if you have one, try taking it out of the loop and see if the behaviour changes, some of them put out an incorrect signal to the box which causes issues.

Boostlogic blamed my occassional manual shifting when my 1st BL box failed. Reasoning was that increased line pressure is part of the mods they do to the box, using MANU mode also increases line pressure so the combo ends up with dangerously high line pressures causing component failure.

Launch control is for girls - no need for it with your setup IMO. Are you running at Supra Pod? Should see decent times if you can get the launch nailed through hard power braking on the line as per last description I gave you on launching it . Say Hi if you're there so I can watch your runs :)

Cheers,

Brian.

Hi Brian

Thanks for taking the time to look.... I am really hoping the 1st gear thing is wheelspin, it comes in so hard and fast in 1st and does seem like losing traction - guessing that wont be an issue on a glued strip!!

Will speak to Lee about the speedo converter as im not sure.

Only put launch control on quickly to see if we could build up some boost off the line - if you see my 1st 2 videos, as i can only get to about 3000rpm on the power brake, its not building up any boost so comes across asz laggy (something it certainly isn't but still takes a second or 2 to get going).... how did you manage such good 60ft times as thats the area i thought id struggle.

Lee is looking at wiring a cable to the brake to help the launch control not bog down!

Thanks again mate...

That's a good point by yakk if the raised rev limit means the syvecs feeds the stock ECU an altered signal - that would cause similar issues to what some speedo convertors do. Stock ECU needs an unaltered signal to know when to change gear.

A hi stall launch is like slipping a clutch - helps you feed in the power 'til the lock up point. Instant full boost power on launch with building boost through launch control can be counter-productive and overwhelm whatever tyres you're using.

That's a good point by yakk if the raised rev limit means the syvecs feeds the stock ECU an altered signal - that would cause similar issues to what some speedo convertors do. Stock ECU needs an unaltered signal to know when to change gear.

A hi stall launch is like slipping a clutch - helps you feed in the power 'til the lock up point. Instant full boost power on launch with building boost through launch control can be counter-productive and overwhelm whatever tyres you're using.

Yeah i didnt rate the launch control but like i say theres a little trick thing we can do with the brake pedal.

In my 1st video i just used power braking, just seems s l o w off the line, no? what hi stall did you run mate?

Regarding rev limit, we even tweaked with it yesterday to lower the rev limit to 6800 in 1st and 2nd gear...didnt make any different it still bounced off limiter!! :search:

Yeah i didnt rate the launch control but like i say theres a little trick thing we can do with the brake pedal.

In my 1st video i just used power braking, just seems s l o w off the line, no? what hi stall did you run mate?

Regarding rev limit, we even tweaked with it yesterday to lower the rev limit to 6800 in 1st and 2nd gear...didnt make any different it still bounced off limiter!! :search:

Hard to tell without seeing the car from the outside as you launch - you'll know yourself from the feeling of forward momentum just on the edge of wheelspin on the launch. A good one with a hi stall auto doesn't have much drama, just hooks and goes nice and smoothly.

I ran a PI 3800 stall on mine. Seemed to work well, though most view that as overkill on stock turbos.

I fear you may be on borrowed time with the BL box given the torque level :( The best answer for drag with a high torque Supra that is proven is still a 3-Speed TH400 conversion, though there is an alternative 4-Speed based conversion now.

I love those videos Jamesy :D

Try to get a 60-160 mph video dude. I'm going to get one within the next days too (hopefully, the rain will stop one day). I did 62-157 mph (100-250 kph) in 12.7 sec with my previous setup (630bhp). I would like to see how the times have improved. ;)

Edited by Luxluc (see edit history)

I love those videos Jamesy :D

Try to get a 60-160 mph video dude. I'm going to get one within the next days too (hopefully, the rain will stop one day). I did 62-157 mph (100-250 kph) in 12.7 sec with my previous setup (630bhp). I would like to see how the times have improved. ;)

Its finding the private tracks around here to do those vids mate is the main issue, will try! :)

Hard to tell without seeing the car from the outside as you launch - you'll know yourself from the feeling of forward momentum just on the edge of wheelspin on the launch. A good one with a hi stall auto doesn't have much drama, just hooks and goes nice and smoothly.

I ran a PI 3800 stall on mine. Seemed to work well, though most view that as overkill on stock turbos.

I fear you may be on borrowed time with the BL box given the torque level :( The best answer for drag with a high torque Supra that is proven is still a 3-Speed TH400 conversion, though there is an alternative 4-Speed based conversion now.

Yeah see i just swapped out my 3800 hi stall as i found it a pig as a daily driver. Will show you on Saturday see what you think ;)

I hope you're wrong about being on borrowed time with the BL box...if another expensive thing goes on this car thats it, shut up shop and stick a fork in me....i'm done!! :D

HI Jamesy, I've watched the videos and most obvious issue is the 1st gear delay. I had quite a high rev limit of 8500 so I never hit the limiter. Are you doing you starts in 'D' ? In manual mode 1st to 2nd's the weak point. Your setup isn't really on the power where the stall is and then comes on very very hard past 5000 & straight into the rev limiter. You should be OK to change manually from 2nd to third if you want to get the full revs . What revs did it change into 3rd?

I had mine a little into positive boost by 3600 off the line and always brake boosted. I've put a couple of vids of my car up on vimeo but it'll take a while to be processed ( should be up by 18:30 )

If you dare, raise the limiter to get the 1st to 2nd change and give it another go!

As a guide I managed to hit 6.3 0-100 at pod, 103@1/8

Also I've just seen you post about only getting to 3000 rpms on the brake. I could push mine into 3700. Just maybe everthing is out of sync with the stall, getting it all out of shape .

P's the vids are mixed up... I'll ad the in car one as it gives the best sound of the changes up the gearshttp://vimeo.com/27495405

Edited by Robbie (see edit history)