The mkiv Supra Owners Club

whats the deal with classic car insurance?

l33wgn

Looking to get my Supra on a classic car policy. Not going to plan at the moment. Sureterm direct's best quote is £1,580.52, Confused.com classic was one of two choices. £1826.32 or £9439.92!!!

I'm 33, 13 years driving 0 NCB as I'm using 9 on my Celica commuter. Live in a good area, limited mileage of 3000 miles, garaged when not in use. Will speak with Lynbrook tomorrow.

Car is slightly non standard. Different alloys, front lip, rear wing, change of paint and er... a 4.0 V8. Adrian Flux are offering £580 at the moment. Everything TPFT.

Reading that, your circumstances are similar to my own. I would expect that the amount of modification may be the problem. Lynbrook know that my car has an RSR exhaust and aftermarket alloys and that was fine. They mainly asked about performance modification and an increase in BHP.

H.

Brendan, is your Supra still your main car? I tried Lynbrook and they couldn't quote me on the classic policy as it was my main vehicle, and they couldn't quote at all for the standard car policy :(

Mike

No i have a Honda Civic insured separately, named driver on another policy, and my motorbike insurance.

Sorry Mike - try footman james?

If they do I am sure you have hit a record! :D

As I have mentioned insurance differs massively on Post Codes!

Here's hoping :) I'm living at home at the moment and the parents house is one of the top 2 levels for cheap insurance I've been told. Makes me lucky I guess. But saying that until I buy the car I won't know

No i have a Honda Civic insured separately, named driver on another policy, and my motorbike insurance.

Sorry Mike - try footman james?

It's no biggy - I got a quote I was happy with from LWIB, but I was hoping for lower ;)

Annoyingly this time last year I had another car - it just broke beyond economic repair, and Steph's the main driver on the other one - I'm not even a named driver even though I own it :(

Mike

Some companys will insure the supra as a classic on the basis trhe car is no longer in production. adrian flux offered me classic insurance but it had to be agreed value policy. on anothere note some insurance companys are bumping prices up for limited mileage.. was told this by 2 seperate companys so when i reinsured mine i tested it 6000 miles my cheapest was £1010 i change that to 10000 miles and it cam down to £860 (fully comp prices) :)

i dont understand the logic in it but it got my insurance down and i dont have to be to carefull on the milage i do now