The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Syvecs Owners - New Display unit !

Ryan.G

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Ryan let me know that he'd posted a link to the YouTube video, and asked if I'd perhaps come on here and answer your questions. I'm not a Supra driver (I have a 500bhp 2005 Subaru Impreza instead, sorry and all that lol) but I obviously have a Syvecs, hence this project.

I formed JT Innovations earlier this year with the aim of producing niche products for fellow petrolheads, and the touchscreen display unit is the first of those.

To answer the questions raised so far:

• Production units should be available in 3-4 months. The circuit board needs some mods, and the case (quite obviously, as the prototype's rather naff) is being reworked.
  • Cost will be between £300-£400 and I am looking at two versions: 1 with RS232 connectivity; and 1 with CANbus connectivity. I'll explain the differences later.
  • Picture - see below for what the production unit will look like :) It's made from billet aluminium and, subject to the sample looking as good as I hope, it will be in gloss black. Being painted, it can be done in different colours but, as with any product, it's a question of getting the right balance between volumes and versions, if you see what I mean.
  • Dimensions are similar to a small sat nav at 100mm x 82mm x 16mm
  • Colours are easy to change - I used red as that's what my car has. I hope to be able to offer different colour schemes from the menus (memory permitting...work in progress) but if all else fails I can do different versions easily enough through updates from the website/uploaded via USB to the device.
  • Bigger screen - not for now, but later on I hope to do a different version with a larger screen - 7" double-DIN maybe. But that's just a thought at the moment.
  • The dials are configurable to a degree, by offering a selection of different layouts to choose from. Also see later notes about CANbus vs. RS232.
  • Mounting is a standard "4-prong" gps slidemount. This allows sucker or semi-permanent mounting as required, but also allows the unit to be demounted for security if wished. The backplate is aluminium plate, so also easy to do other variations if there's a demand.
  • Group buy - well, if there's sufficient interest, why not :)
  • Yes, it can/does replace the CAL switch. The one I was given with my Syvecs is naff to say the least, so good riddance I say :lol:

Here's what it will look like.

RS232 Version - purely limited by the Syvecs datastream - can display:

• RPM
  • Speed
  • Oil pressure (assuming a sensor is wired to the Syvecs)
  • Oil temp (assuming a sensor is wired to the Syvecs)
  • Water temp
  • Fuel pressure (assuming a sensor is wired to the Syvecs)
  • Battery Voltage
  • Throttle Angle
  • Manifold Pressure (or boost, if preferred)
  • Air charge temp
  • Exhaust Temp (assuming a sensor is wired to the Syvecs)
  • Fuel Temp (assuming a sensor is wired to the Syvecs)
  • Lamda - obviously only makes sense if you have a wideband configured
  • Gear - as per Syvecs, which means "derived" for an Impreza, not sure for a Supra

The Canbus version as access to all 500+ parameters from Syvecs; many are or little interest, but every now and again it can be useful to look at those wierd and wonderful parameters. It needs a PC programme to set it up (via USB) and to configure which gauges will be shown and, to be honest, I am not 100% sure whether this version has a real market...so your feedback is very much welcomed :)

I've added enough memory to allow a 15 minute capture and replay of the gauge data - so you can watch again and again that awful moment the gauges told you that your engine is in bits on the road ;)

Anyway, enough for now: but if you have any questions, please do ask.

Oh, and hello by the way :D

I am not, as yet, a Syvecs / Life user, but have to say it.s a bargain price compared to similar CAN BUS displays. There are alternatives, some with awesome displays, some with lesser ones, but nearly all make set up a nightmare for the average end user. I see a big market place for such a display if the set up is simple and various templates are downloadable for different CAN BUS parameters to open up usage to a wider user database. I feel the market lacks cost effective displays that are fool proof to use for *VARIOUS* CAN BUS streams. Best of luck, a great idea.

At the moment I have inputs used up for cal switch, another cal for traction, water injection, launch control, antilag etc etc. With this and software based switches could those inputs be reclaimed for other things like sensors.

I hope so ;)

At the moment I have inputs used up for cal switch, another cal for traction, water injection, launch control, antilag etc etc. With this and software based switches could those inputs be reclaimed for other things like sensors.

I hope so ;)

I'm afraid the answer is basically "no" :(

The RS232 stream is just an output from the Syvecs and there's no ability to control it, and the data in the stream is what it is. Likewise the Syvecs CAN bus only streams data (but you can choose what you want to see, unlike RS232)... I'm told that control of the ecu via CAN is feasible and may happen in the future. As soon as Syvecs allows me to control things, I'll be on the case :)

How is the digi cal switch working then?
The display unit connects to the same pin/wire as the usual CAL switch and replaces it. The unit then emulates the functionality of the original switch.

Out of interest, where does the CAL switch usually wire in on a Supra? On an Impreza, it's wired to a pair of "test" connectors under the dash near the ODBII port by the drivers knees, and I provide connectors directly for those. I can do the same for Supra's but need to find out what connectors are used :)

• 2 months later...
This is very tasty :)

My plan:

1) Save up for Syvecs and this

2) Visit Ryan and hand him the keys and a wad of fivers :D

3) Get buying a new house out of the way

I've corrected this for you.

I am literally :

1. Having Whifbitz bolt on a lot of stuff + syvecs in November

2. Having it mapped November/December

3. Buying a house in January

I thought once I get a house, the lead time on 1) and 2) become greatly extended.

I thought you'd have been minted by now having been approached by Hollywood.

I appreciate the sentiment but I'm already at stage 1.8 with an offer accepted, it's too late to snaffle three grand out the budget now, sadly - the Supra isn't even getting fuel until about March :(

Hollywood haven't been knocking very loudly at all, the swines.

Will there be one at the Syvecs Training Day?

Im 99% sure there will be

Ryan are these just as simple as wiring gauges or do you have to program them?

If so dose the price include your time mate?

Needs 12v, Gnd and then 5 wires that will go into the Syvecs

Very easy to use and a small update needs to be done to the Syvecs which can be done remotely or shown how to be done at the syvecs training day

Ryan

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a picture of the first ever actual, genuine, production unit

toucanunit.jpg

DSC_08813.jpg

Price is now confirmed as £329.99+VAT, and rather than do a group buy - which is complicated to manage over the various forums - I'll offer a 10% discount to those who pre-order units before its official launch.

I still can't go firm on the exact launch date as I am not 100% confident of when all the various parts will come together, but it will certainly be in the first few days of December.

I'll let you all know once I'm accepting pre-orders and give you the relevant link etc.

Any questions, just ask.