supra why it so good?

k9l3

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 thing that really bugs me is how someone can spend say 20 30k on a engine but the car looks rubbish . what's up with that

The only thing IMO that makes the Supra look "rubbish" is ill-fitting bodykits (panel gaps), bodykits that don't suit (Veilside, a few different ones whacked together), eyelids *shudder* and wheels that don't suit/fit.

them 3 pics sorry they do not look modern especially the red one it shows its age.

People are getting modern and classy mixed up. Don't worry about it, some folks won't even have read any of the previous replies before getting their bit in..... it's the way of the MKIV world :D

1 thing that really bugs me is how someone can spend say 20 30k on a engine but the car looks rubbish . what's up with that

Same reason you have spent a load of money on some flappy panels but the car doesn't go any faster :rolleyes:

Just noticed you have eyebrows on your lights, now THAT makes a car look dated, how is it in 1998 :D

I think we all have to face facts; the car was designed in the early 90's so some aspects of the car people could say it look a little dated (IMO none of it does) However the majority of the Supra's design is timeless.

It has the traditional sports car shape, long bonnet, low roof, wide rear arches etc. and that design has been around for ages... before the 60's.. and dont forget the design was was way before its time when it was launched.

I'm a great fan of the Stock body look, Newer wheels are good and some facelift parts are nice but no more than that really, otherwise the lines are just ruined.

You should have a read at the trend of the thread though ;)

This topic has been covered to death though, I like the look of the Supra for what it is regardless of whether it look 'modern' or not. TBH I wouldn't want it to look modern as all cars look the same nowadays. Manufacturers get one styling cue and plaster it across the range. The ford range is a prime example of this at least old school cars look different.

This topic has been covered to death though, I like the look of the Supra for what it is regardless of whether it look 'modern' or not. TBH I wouldn't want it to look modern as all cars look the same nowadays. Manufacturers get one styling cue and plaster it across the range. The ford range is a prime example of this at least old school cars look different.

Yes, the topic you are on about has been done to the death. It isn't a stock vs modified thread or a styling thread. The thread has been about how modern the supra looks and why certain modifications make it look more/less modern. It turned that way on page one when the discussion was about the supra vs the 3000gt in regards to modern appearance.

Hence why I said to have a read at what other people think rather than just telling everyone what you think. If you had, you would have been able to join in the conversation rather than just starting your own ;)

In answer to the original question this quote sums it up for me......

reliability - to date I havent come across another car that doesnt have some form a cataclismic error that occurs at some stage in its life and thank you Toyota for putting togther such a good engine, for a car of its age, its nice to know where i stand with it and feal confident it'll just keep going.

Tunability - where else could you get a car up to 400bhp without really going to work on the internals and spending a fortune. Spend a bit more and you are talking some serious power - way more than you could get from any other car for the same money

Stylability (if thats a word) - So many different styles and combinations for how a supra looks and the vast majority I genuinely like the look of....if you look over other manufacturers, generally they all look similar with very few variations available to them to make them look individual to the driver.

Rear wheel drive with twin tubbies - recipe for fun all day long lol

I can't think of another car you can push well beyond 500 bhp without uprating the engine. Once you get into changing engine internals you can have a car faster than super cars costing £100K's. At the time the MKIV was designed, Toyota literally threw away the original designs and started from scratch to compete with the then new Nissan 300 ZX, the result was one of the most futuristic mass produced cars of its period. All designs date over time, but the MKIV Supra, has earned its place in the hall of fame of innovative car design.

As for body modifications, factory skirts and spats and a small body coloured splitter are all that is needed, IMHO to add to slight lowering of the car to create a stunning looking GT car.

I think Scott m is the only guy that understands what I said and not getting all pisy. no 1 slating a standard supra just saying that few small bits like side skirts . spats. and lip. plus wheels brings the car upto date for 2011 . fact its my thread so just say I am right lol

I think Scott m is the only guy that understands what I said and not getting all pisy. no 1 slating a standard supra just saying that few small bits like side skirts . spats. and lip. plus wheels brings the car upto date for 2011 . fact its my thread so just say I am right lol

A lot of confusion is coming in because people prefer the look of stock vs modified etc, and people seem intent on turning it into one of those threads rather than looking at modern styling in cars and comparing it to their Supra. It's all about opinions really, but there is no denying that there is a contrasting difference between the supras styling and modern car styling. It held it's own way past it's sell by date though.

You will find on this forum there is always a "what I have is best" matter of fact attitude. Just take each comment as the persons opinion as generally that's how they mean it, the wording is just a little off :)

A lot of confusion is coming in because people prefer the look of stock vs modified etc, and people seem intent on turning it into one of those threads rather than looking at modern styling in cars and comparing it to their Supra. It's all about opinions really, but there is no denying that there is a contrasting difference between the supras styling and modern car styling. It held it's own way past it's sell by date though.

You will find on this forum there is always a "what I have is best" matter of fact attitude. Just take each comment as the persons opinion as generally that's how they mean it, the wording is just a little off :)

totally agree with that last bit lol

it don't bother me if people jump the gun. you understood what I ment instead everyone else seemed took it out of context and got lost what I was actually saying and stating . what thread should I start next :)

I feel special in it. standard I would say the car is dating unlike what I find with the 3000 gto.s which standard can still look very modern but with a nice kit man they can be sexy. and its one of them cars I want to spend 1000s I ain't got on it

I admit - i glazed over the full details...by this point in the OP I was already thinking about the generally good things the sup has to offer lol - gold star to Scott M :p

it don't bother me if people jump the gun. you understood what I ment instead everyone else seemed took it out of context and got lost what I was actually saying and stating . what thread should I start next :)

Auto vs manual

:eyebrows: