The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Facelift or not? advantages and disadvantages

ripped_fear

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember reading on here a while back about the build quality being lesser on the facelift models.

I think it was Homer that mentioned it but I'm not certain as to what contributed to this. Hopefully he sees this and chimes in :)

I remember reading on here a while back about the build quality being lesser on the facelift models.

I think it was Homer that mentioned it but I'm not certain as to what contributed to this. Hopefully he sees this and chimes in :)

If that is the case I'd like to see some evidence. I've yet to hear of any facelift models failing where pre-facelift haven't.

yep, i remember that being mentioned in a thread too but can't remember what either. fwiw i find the dash nicer in pre-facelift and also the seats, the all in one headrest bits annoy me on the facelift esp when trimmed. but the facelift has much nicer lights imo and generally in stock form look a lot more modern. Also, airbags!

Some quotes you may find interesting (from the forum (other threads)):-

Also, why did they change over to non turbo engine mounts, dodgy seat belts that dont retract, dodgy door armrests that always come away, I'm sure there was something else they buggered up on facelift cars!

rear boot mechanism/lever often doesn't open the rear hatch properly?

Cheap dipsticks :D

Pheonix used to tell me that the facelift cars use a poorer / thinner metal too (bodywork)....... :search:

Perhaps Toyota realised that the pre-face was over-engineered and wanted to optimise / lean out the supra in order to add to their profits.

Also why did the 6spd swap to a weaker diff, prop, driveshafts and hubs...

The facelift to a smaller "NA" radiator amoung so many other things.

Pre-facelift 6spds FTW!

You say that, but the vvti motor is better IMHO, it has fly-by-wire throttle with extra safety functions built in, such as throttle shutdown when knock is detected and things like that. The VVTi ecu is also a bit more advanced compared to the non-vvti.

I don't know of any non VVTi cars that suffer with it - all the ones I have seen are VVti cars. I was wondering if that is the case or whether it's just a fluke related to the cars I have seen.

It is a 1998 NA though, so same year as VVTI :)

I might look into this, does anyone with pre facelift fancy doing a comparison? :eyebrows:

Some quotes you may find interesting (from the forum (other threads)):-

In ref to that Imi quote, I'd say facelifts are more prone to rust, not sure if it's the metal or the finishes.

One thing I found quite interesting is on GT5, when you look at the Description of the NA Supra, there's a load of spiel on how various weight reduction techniques were used on the facelift.

Do all Supras have hollow rear ARBs? My facelift certainly does.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

I think a lot of these things need splitting up into 1) Prefacelift 2) Facelift and 3) Facelift VVti as there are differences between all three and people always blend all facelifts into one group.

What about later NAs? They don't have VVTi (in Japan at least) but will otherwise be similar to VVTi cars.

I think all facelifts have a softer elastomer material for the front upper and lower suspension arm bushes and I think the bush diameter for the lower arm is bigger for facelifts but I'll check that. The part numbers are different. When I replaced my arms I bought early ones for the extra bit oif stiffness.

As well as all these little features i think what has been missed out here is the chassis revisions.

Facelifts have extra bracing and a slightly stiffer body to deal with the worst should it happen.

Read all you need to know right here ;)

http://www.97supraturbo.com/1997%20Service%20Manual/1997%20New%20Car%20Features.pdf

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

Getting all of these differences together will be beneficial for FAQ purposes and general referencing. As parts are interchangeable (largely), it will allow for idealising setups through hybrid configurations that may have otherwise been overlooked :D

I prefer most things about the facelift (I went for one). The only thing that has always annoyed me has been the radiator. I've never had any overheating problems etc but I just don't like the fact that it's thinner. Never noticed anything else that I didn't like, it's all plus points for me.

Nicer lights, nicer dash, nicer clock (digital is so knightrider), I prefer the look of the facelift seats but I agree that the built on headrest is a tad annoying (I have pre-facelift), more bracing, lighter, nicer carpets/rooflining, UK Spec brakes, recaros. Granted some of these are model dependant but there was a lot more "premium" options as standard on the facelift cars. What were those cloth facelift seats all about though? lol.

The lesser components mentioned such as the lighter wishbones etc haven't had any effect on the car from what I know so I guess Toyota did their homework on the components they lightened/stiffened/downgraded.

I have a V160 in my car as well, 1996 facelift.

I like the fact you put recaros down as something you like but have changed them to prefacelift in your own car :)

The digital clock may seem knight rider, but I think it looks much more modern. What car has an analogue clock these days :D

It seems to all be down personal taste to be honest, other than dodge door cards and boot latches on facelifts, but that is probably just luck.