The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Facelift or not? advantages and disadvantages

ripped_fear

I like the fact you put recaros down as something you like but have changed them to prefacelift in your own car :)

The digital clock may seem knight rider, but I think it looks much more modern. What car has an analogue clock these days :D

It seems to all be down personal taste to be honest, other than dodge door cards and boot latches on facelifts, but that is probably just luck.

I changed from Recaros because I don't fit in them.

Most modern cars have analogue clocks bud, it's far more classy than digital. My mondeo has one as an example. I'm pretty sure most Jaguars run with them along with rolls-royce, bentley etc etc etc. Thinking a digital clock is modern is just laughable to be honest. My 1989 309 had one ffs. Not to mention the 1984 Fiesta my Mum & Dad had (I can't remember much further back but there is a MK1 Astra in there too IIRC). Style is where it's at, digital doesn't mean modern anymore ;)

A lot of it is down to personal taste but a lot of it reeks of people who didn't want to/couldn't afford to fork out the extra outlay for a facelift so adopt a "what I have is better" attitude ;)

There are few people who, hand on heart, would choose a pre-facelift car over a facelift car given the "free" option, when they were in exactly the same condition.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I changed from Recaros because I don't fit in them.

Most modern cars have analogue clocks bud, it's far more classy than digital. My mondeo has one as an example. I'm pretty sure most Jaguars run with them along with rolls-royce, bentley etc etc etc. Thinking a digital clock is modern is just laughable to be honest. My 1989 309 had one ffs. Not to mention the 1984 Fiesta my Mum & Dad had (I can't remember much further back but there is a MK1 Astra in there too IIRC). Style is where it's at, digital doesn't mean modern anymore ;)

A lot of it is down to personal taste but a lot of it reeks of people who didn't want to/couldn't afford to fork out the extra outlay for a facelift so adopt a "what I have is better" attitude ;)

There are few people who, hand on heart, would choose a pre-facelift car over a facelift car given the "free" option, when they were in exactly the same condition.

My 2010 VW Polo has a digital clock, so does my 1995 Pre face lift Supra. I wouldn't say digital clocks are any less modern than an analogue clock. Not as classy but I personally prefer them :)

Mine is a 93 pre face lift original ;), but if I were going to search for another I would look for a facelift, nothing to do with looks or mechanical reasons, just the fact it's newer. Saying that if their was a known good pre face lift, up for sale to a unknown could be dodgy face lift I would get the pre face lift. At the end of the day you can make a Supra look and go how you want. The only thing I have heard is that VVTI are a nightmare to tune the engine, so that depends on how fast you wanna go :).

My 2010 VW Polo has a digital clock, so does my 1995 Pre face lift Supra. I wouldn't say digital clocks are any less modern than an analogue clock. Not as classy but I personally prefer them :)

Agreed. I wasn't meaning that an analogue clock is more modern than digital, obviously analogue came first. I was mearly pointing out that digital isn't by any means modern and that most "premium" modern cars chose analogue as it is more classy than digital. The styling is very important though so it has to be an overall look/feel.

There's nothing classy about either clock, they're both 'orrid. :D

Also agreed. I think there is a little bit lacking in the design of both clocks. I have to say that I think the digital one is just that little bit more 'orrid than the analogue one though :D

thanks for all the imput guys this great stuff and everything i need to here,

the reason Im asking all this is the fact that I am looking at a 96 facelift currently being imported, and do not want to pay the extra for a facelift if im going to live to regret it.

If anyone knows of anything else please jump in.

Im going to collect everything in this and put it into the first post to make it easier to read, for anyone doing their home work. :D

thanks for all the imput guys this great stuff and everything i need to here,

the reason Im asking all this is the fact that I am looking at a 96 facelift currently being imported, and do not want to pay the extra for a facelift if im going to live to regret it.

If anyone knows of anything else please jump in.

Im going to collect everything in this and put it into the first post to make it easier to read, for anyone doing their home work. :D

You won't regret it, plus the facelifts will always sell for more money ;)

You won't regret it, plus the facelifts will always sell for more money ;)

yeah it will but it cost more to buy too so trying not to let that influence me. just want to be able to trust my car and so far most of the differences are down to personal choice, so not worried about them, just the rad, prop and mounts which need to think about, but the radiators are cheap enough according to jurgen £150 and the mounts i expect can be done for not alot its just the prob/diff i will need to consider further down the line.

yeah it will but it cost more to buy too so trying not to let that influence me. just want to be able to trust my car and so far most of the differences are down to personal choice, so not worried about them, just the rad, prop and mounts which need to think about, but the radiators are cheap enough according to jurgen £150 and the mounts i expect can be done for not alot its just the prob/diff i will need to consider further down the line.

honestly the diff will only need changing if your going for mega HORSEPOWER..

Mounts are mainly ISSUE with Triptronics.

honestly the diff will only need changing if your going for mega HORSEPOWER..

Mounts are mainly ISSUE with Triptronics.

that shouldnt really be a problem for me then as I do not intend on mega bhp.

out of interest why are the mounts an issue and why more so on tiptronics?