The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Facelift or not? advantages and disadvantages

ripped_fear

Facelift will be the better car i think, it certainly looks better, if i had one with the power i want id just change to the big diff setup and you are good to go, there use to be a shortage of decent cams for the vvti, im not sure thats an issue anymore, i did notice that scooby slayers car has binned off the vvti though.

i hadnt even thought about this but i guess being a 1999 it must of had it and tdi removed it all.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hadnt even thought about this but i guess being a 1999 it must of had it and tdi removed it all.

Maybe worth checking the chassis number to ensure it is a '99 model. TBH, it probably is, with an earlier engine (or possibly just the head)

Maybe worth checking the chassis number to ensure it is a '99 model. TBH, it probably is, with an earlier engine (or possibly just the head)

its a genuine car 1 previous owner 42000 miles. crank, rods and pistons are hks 3.4 stroker, 272 hks cams and lots of porting. i guess it was easier for them to ditch the vvti when building a 900 hp car.

its a genuine car 1 previous owner 42000 miles. crank, rods and pistons are hks 3.4 stroker, 272 hks cams and lots of porting. i guess it was easier for them to ditch the vvti when building a 900 hp car.

Sorry, I didnt mean to insinuate that It wasn't a genuine car, but it's not unheard of for importers/DVLA to mess up the year of manufacture when a car is imported. I've seen the thread on your car and it's very nice :cool:

The main things to be concerned about with facelift cars (and only if single turbo) are the smaller radiator and auto-sized 6 speed diff. I haven't noticed any of the other issues raised with my (albeit VVTi) 98 6 speed.

Plus, it hasn't been mentioned that facelift models get the nice black carpet standard, nicer dash panels without the rubberised coating, an extra airbag (for the passenger, this time), bigger rims (17s vs 16s) as standard, better looking headlights and taillights, and cooler colours (like Quicksilver :D).

The main things to be concerned about with facelift cars (and only if single turbo) are the smaller radiator and auto-sized 6 speed diff. I haven't noticed any of the other issues raised with my (albeit VVTi) 98 6 speed.

Plus, it hasn't been mentioned that facelift models get the nice black carpet standard, nicer dash panels without the rubberised coating, an extra airbag (for the passenger, this time), bigger rims (17s vs 16s) as standard, better looking headlights and taillights, and cooler colours (like Quicksilver :D).

thanks bud i had mentioned it in the first post though ;)