The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just Quoted £168 Fully Comp with Agreed Valuation

mr lover

Mate, ring the FSA (financial services authority) (may have to go through the FSO first) and lodge a complaint with them. They may ask you to complain to Sureterm first but you can then do that adding that you've lodged an initial dispute with the FSA which should make them take you seriously. What you have described above is sharp practice and something the FSA will slice them apart for.

I've engaged the FSA a few times in the past with very satisfactory results. Good luck!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So got my new policy documents this morning. All completely different to what I asked for. Also a number of forms about all of my other insurance poilicies which were not optional and had to be filled in for the policy to be valid past 28 days.

No option for 3rd party cover on other vehicles. Excess £100 more than on the phone. No mods listed even though aI gave them a full list on the phone. So I called them, they cannot add the other items to the policy even though they already said they would on the phone.

So I rang Adrian Flux who my policy was with. Asked them to match it with all the extras. Came in £30 cheaper. Took out a policy with Adrian Flux.

Rang Surestream to cancel and found out that they are going to charge me £10 arrangment fee, £30 cancellation fee, £29 summit for underwriters fee. So only giving me £130ish pounds back when I paid a £197 pound first payment 5 days ago and the policy was only supposed to start today.

I was sitting here wondering if the guy on the other end of the phone had a horse, black facemask and a gun. Bl***y bandits.

Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole and will be persuing some of my cash back.

Under the distance selling regs they have to refund you all the money, I've used them before when insurance tries this one as I wasn't happy with the terms which I couldn't see until after I'd taken out the policy. Search on the money saving expert site, I'm sure that's where I found a template letter to send them.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/cooling-off-and-cancellations/

The insurer or broker must refund any monies paid by you within 30 days, although they have the right to deduct a reasonable admin charge, and a sum proportionate to the number of days cover you have had.

Whether the sums you mention constitute a "reasonable admin charge" is of course open to debate.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/cooling-off-and-cancellations/

Whether the sums you mention constitute a "reasonable admin charge" is of course open to debate.

Anything over the telephone or internet is covered by the distance selling regs, where you can get a full refund up to 7 days (I think), regardless of what the insurance peoples terms are.

This link includes templates as well -

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/direct.gov.uk/en/governmentcitizensandrights/consumerrights/dg_183048

Edited by downimpact
added link (see edit history)

Anything over the telephone or internet is covered by the distance selling regs, where you can get a full refund up to 7 days (I think), regardless of what the insurance peoples terms are.

This link includes templates as well -

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/direct.gov.uk/en/governmentcitizensandrights/consumerrights/dg_183048

The bit that stevie_b posted is from the distance selling regs, they have a clause that allows admin charges to be recovered. It's for things like delivery charges for goods and for insurance the fact they have insured you for a few days during which time you could have claimed. Also stops people insuring themselves just to tax the car and them cancelling once they have. Bit of a grey area how much they are allowed to charge, and of course it's supposed to be for if you change your mind, not if they get your details wrong!

Cheers for all the advice guys. I sent the covernote back first class last wednesday and as yet have not had any money refunded to my bank, so I'm £197 out of pocket at the mo. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until tomorrow as it was a bank holiday. I'll also be writing them a letter based on the templates on the sites.

cheers again.

• 1 month later...

Got my renewal quote from Sky the other day. Thought I'd try Lynbrook and LWIB. And then go back to them.

Anyway Debra @ LWIB was very helpful. As was Kathy from Sky.

But on this occasion, the best quote came from Mark Parish @ Lynbrook

3. £424.24 - LWIB

2. £400 - SKY

1. £384.81 -LYNBROOK

There's more too. What really made Lynbrook's quote compelling to me is it also included roadside assistance & recovery (1 mile from house) in the price.

So I've taken it out. It includes an agreed value, plus all BPU mods declared etc, fully comp.

Sky offered me a good deal last year and in 12 months time, I'll go back to all 3 again to see what is what :)

The

Edited by Lbm (see edit history)

Got my renewal quote from Sky the other day. Thought I'd try Lynbrook and LWIB. And then go back to them.

Anyway Debra @ LWIB was very helpful. As was Kathy from Sky.

But on this occasion, the best quote came from Mark Parish @ Lynbrook

3. £424.24 - LWIB

2. £400 - SKY

1. £384.81 -LYNBROOK

There's more too. What really made Lynbrook's quote compelling to me is it also included roadside assistance & recovery (1 mile from house) in the price.

So I've taken it out. It includes an agreed value, plus all BPU mods declared etc, fully comp.

Sky offered me a good deal last year and in 12 months time, I'll go back to all 3 again to see what is what :)

The

Is that covered under a classical policy Mr.bm? Or is this a standard fully comp all you can eat type policy?

Did you also attempt Sureterm?

Is that covered under a classical policy Mr.bm? Or is this a standard fully comp all you can eat type policy?

Did you also attempt Sureterm?

Si

It's under their 'classic car' policy.

I didn't attempt 'Sureterm' as I believe they won't touch J-specs.

Just had some interesting quotes for mine. JSpec with BPU mods declared.

Adrian Flux - Started at 800 but came down to 650.

SKY - 650

LWIB - 550

Lynbrook - 490 (classic but doesnt use my NCB so I now have 9 years ncb to use on a runabout)

The only downside to the classic insurance is that the car has to be garaged betwen 10pm and 6am. LBM - Do you have the same restricction on your policy? I was going to see if I could get that part removed. The other benefits are breakdown, agreed value, buy back / self repair options. So with the NCB and other benifits its pretty good.

EDIT : The women on the phone just called me an idiot for thinking that the 10-6am restriction was a curfew, its just if the car is at home it should be in the garage. Sometimes I wonder how I find my way to work in the morning.

Edited by neilp9876 (see edit history)

J

Lynbrook - 490 (classic but doesnt use my NCB so I now have 9 years ncb to use on a runabout)

The only downside to the classic insurance is that the car has to be garaged betwen 10pm and 6am. LBM - Do you have the same restricction on your policy? I was going to see if I could get that part removed. The other benefits are breakdown, agreed value, buy back / self repair options. So with the NCB and other benifits its pretty good.

EDIT : The women on the phone just called me an idiot for thinking that the 10-6am restriction was a curfew, its just if the car is at home it should be in the garage. Sometimes I wonder how I find my way to work in the morning.

I had to ask about this too as I initially viewed it as a curfew.

Your car must be parked at night in the garage if you are within 1 mile of your garage.

If you are staying overnight somewhere, but more than one mile away (from garage) you are covered wherever you park it.

When I talked to them about the agreed value, they said they would accept a written valuation by an owners club or by a garage that had never worked on the car or had any relationship to it.

Is the agreed valuation something that this club does, or has ever done? I think it would be handy if you did.