The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Window Tints

Josh

Tint or no tint  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Tint or no tint

I've had all my cars tinted except the supra, I've never really thought it would go well on a red supra but after seeing a few vids on you tube of red stock supra's with tints, I'm kind of leaning towards getting it done now.

You can get the front done but like Josh said they need to emit 70% light through, the trick is to get your rear window dark, then work forward getting lighter, this should give the effect that it's all the same darkness hopefully, smoked tints is what I'll probably be going for :)

Yeah, I think I'll just have to get a few different shades and colours and effects of film and place them on the windows and see what they look like. I'll leave the front windows alone as I don't want to give the police an excuse to pull me over.

I think the tints would look quite good with the red, even better once I get new wheels :cool:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rear hatch & quarters as dark as you like, doors either as is or the lightest tint you can find (even the lightest will no doubt make the car illegal though)

Here's mine, pretty sure this is all as it came from the factory though

Maybe J-sepc & Uk-specs differ that way?

I take it the laws are strict when it comes to tinting your windows... what a bummer! I was looking forward to tinting mine when I get there cause Japan has some crazy laws as well. Oh well... guess I better get the interior worked on :D

Edited by LolaBoost94 (see edit history)

Should I tint the Supra's windows or not?

Price is no object as I can get it done for free or do it myself.

I've been wondering whether to or not and I'm really not sure whether it would look any good.

unless you have had any training and experience in window tinting im pritty sure you will have a hard time tinting the rear screen! ive been tinting windows for the last 9 year and i can assure you we get people through the door like you all the time and we have to put things rite for them!

pay once and get it rite! not to mention that the window film is very static so as soon as you pull that backing off all the dust contamanants in the air will stick stright to it!

good luck mate! if you get stuck just give me a bell on 0800 955 8468 (TINT)

If its too dark on the door windows its just an excuse for the police to pull you. Cant they make you take it off on the spot these days or even impound your car ?

Also dangerous at night.

All glass comes 70% factory tinted (clear) on the fronts! if you lessen this by putting say a 35% (light) or 20% (med) you are risking 3 points for each window being illegal!

most common is they give you 14 days to get it removed

2nd is a £60.00 fine

and 3rd is £60.00 fine and 3 points for each window

hope this helps people ;-)

a little trick to help out is to say you bought the car like that! and you should just get the 14 day to remove but dont take my word for it! ;-D

Door windows I thought you couldn't have any tint that wasn't factory?

Rear windows can be limo, I thought rear windscreen had to be 30%? (Unless it's a car that has van derived models with no rear windows).

Don't see the point to tinted rear windscreen, you'll see little to nothing out of the back in the dark, can't say I've actually seen a supra that's tinted and think it's better with them than without.

there is no law in place on how dark you go with windows from the b-post back! so you could paint them if you wish! lol if you put 05% on the rear screen this can cause problems with night time driveing especially when reversing! but if you went for a 20% (med) you can see fine!

i have 35% on my rear 3 windows and from the inside you cant really tell they have even been tinted! but from thge outside they look nice and smoked!

unless you have had any training and experience in window tinting im pritty sure you will have a hard time tinting the rear screen! ive been tinting windows for the last 9 year and i can assure you we get people through the door like you all the time and we have to put things rite for them!

pay once and get it rite! not to mention that the window film is very static so as soon as you pull that backing off all the dust contamanants in the air will stick stright to it!

good luck mate! if you get stuck just give me a bell on 0800 955 8468 (TINT)

Thanks for the offer but my Dad sells films including tints for a living and he's tinted about 20 cars altogether and has been on courses on how to do it.

If I mess it up then I can just pull it off before it dries and get a new bit of film as I have an unlimited amount to play with.

Cheers though.

I think they used to do that but you can't really do it well and they had complaints. They don't give you a producer ether just impound the car I think

in the 9 years of tinting windows we let all our customers know about the law. some do decide to go through with it! but ive never herd of anybody getting there car impouned!

if you do get caught and are one of the luky ones you will get a producer!

if you one of the unlucky ones the you will be hit with 6 points and a £60.00 fine

we get at least 4 people through the door every month that have been stoped for front windows

Thanks for the offer but my Dad sells films including tints for a living and he's tinted about 20 cars altogether and has been on courses on how to do it.

If I mess it up then I can just pull it off before it dries and get a new bit of film as I have an unlimited amount to play with.

Cheers though.

oh well aslong as he has had the training and experience your laffing! ;-D

ps: the supra rear screen has very raised heated lines so you will need a 2ply film outherwise you will get loads of bubles spering off the lines lol

when i done mine this happend 2wise before i used 3M carbon black and it went down like a DREEEEEM!

I'm thinking about taking the side tints off though as Karolina's looks brilliant without them

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss239/Blackiekarolina/3d2846a4.jpg

I thought yours was the red'un. I do love the whole car anyway, thanks :)

ps: the supra rear screen has very raised heated lines so you will need a 2ply film outherwise you will get loads of bubles spering off the lines lol

when i done mine this happend 2wise before i used 3M carbon black and it went down like a DREEEEEM!

Yeah, should be reet :)

Cheers bud, I'll let you know how I get on then obviously (sorry Johnny ;)) I'll get pics up :)

If its free for you to tint, just tint first. It's not exactly hard to remove if you don't like it.

I had midnight on the rear window, medium smoke on the quarter and light smoke on the side.

After getting it fitted, IMO wished I went medium on the back.

My mate (professionally fits for a living) that's done my car and Lui's car and a few others, is based in NW london. gimme a shout if anyone interested... Life time guarantee on his work too.

• 1 month later...
Any pics of a silver car with tints?

I could get you some of mine but it's only tinted on the rear and qtr glass. It looks nice from the outside, but I don't like the drop is visibility for night motorway driving so will be removing them soon.