The mkiv Supra Owners Club

next gen led halo headlights and refurb

Guest blueangel

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My n/s headlamp has been misting mysteriously for sometime now. I checked everything that could be wrong and everything was fine, it was busting my nads, Last week i took the boot off and haven't had a bit of bother since, in all weathers.

I refurbed my lights , and ever since i have had misting up too , can i ask what boot i need to remove, thanks....ps... i have already checked and re sealed them, but i still have the same problem.

I refurbed my lights , and ever since i have had misting up too , can i ask what boot i need to remove, thanks....ps... i have already checked and re sealed them, but i still have the same problem.

I believe they are referring to the little rubber tap type attachment that sticks out the back of the headlight. It's function is to help remove humidity in the light I think, but if it gets clogged up it has the opposite effect. Removing it allows the light to breathe.

Of course I could be completely wrong but I have the same issue and will be trying it out today :)

I believe they are referring to the little rubber tap type attachment that sticks out the back of the headlight. It's function is to help remove humidity in the light I think, but if it gets clogged up it has the opposite effect. Removing it allows the light to breathe.

Of course I could be completely wrong but I have the same issue and will be trying it out today :)

ok, thanks for your help :thumbs:

Ive been thinking of trying these too, did you just glue the smd rings onto the plastic insert 'ring' bit? ive always been a bit wary of just gluing it into place....theres quite a neat way of routing the wires through too! ironically using the rubber boot lol.

What size rings are you using? (if you dont mind me asking)

Good job btw :)

There is a plastic ring around the outside of the dipped beam bulb. It takes a half twist and it is off, haven't had bother since i removed it.

There is a plastic ring around the outside of the dipped beam bulb. It takes a half twist and it is off, haven't had bother since i removed it.

Mate, are you talking about the rubber boot seal which encloses the area around the bulb holder? I've removed it to see what effect it will have but surely youre then exposing the entire inside of the headlight casing to the elements? It leaves a gaping opening right into the headlamp!

Very nice Ric, do you think it would be possible to incorporate the facelift sidelight/indicator into that setup such that the first ring acts as a sidelight, and the fog rin flashes amber?

Great idea.

Is it possible, Ric?

Oh how we forget http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?85256-front-fog-light-indicator-conversion&highlight=front+fog+indicators

plus I thought making your car look like an Audi or Bemmer was naff? or have opinions changed ...yet again Time was when people thought Halo/Angel Eyes or DRL on a Supra where big no nos

Edited by Tee from China
added content (see edit history)

Oh how we forget http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?85256-front-fog-light-indicator-conversion&highlight=front+fog+indicators

plus I thought making your car look like an Audi or Bemmer was naff? or have opinions changed ...yet again Time was when people thought Halo/Angel Eyes or DRL on a Supra where big no nos

That crossed my mind too.

I do love the rear LED lights though.

Mate, are you talking about the rubber boot seal which encloses the area around the bulb holder? I've removed it to see what effect it will have but surely youre then exposing the entire inside of the headlight casing to the elements? It leaves a gaping opening right into the headlamp!

Yeah you are right, but trust me i haven't had any bother since i removed it.

I have tried everything, i have glass headlamps that have never been split, all the seals are present and correct and even the little rubber drain/breather things are unblocked. Have even tried little bags of silica gel but still no joy, i was ready to stick a hammer through it!

Since i removed it the mist/puddle has gone and no rain water has entered the lamp either.

Yeah you are right, but trust me i haven't had any bother since i removed it.

I have tried everything, i have glass headlamps that have never been split, all the seals are present and correct and even the little rubber drain/breather things are unblocked. Have even tried little bags of silica gel but still no joy, i was ready to stick a hammer through it!

Since i removed it the mist/puddle has gone and no rain water has entered the lamp either.

Thx mate, I had stuck mine back in the oven and removed all the vapour, resealed and siliconed them to death, only for the mist to be back worse the next morning. I removed the seal last night and it def looks to be slowly dissipating. Fingers crossed it's gone tomorrow. I'm nearly ready to just buy new facelifts so if this works for a while and then the hole slowly destroys them, I've lost nothing :)

If youve got the button, the light needs to be there and work correctly... not having the button and you should be fine

Black nail varnish over the symbol indicating it operates front fogs. They can't say/do anything with that.

Might sound dumb but do you have the correct bulbs in and fitted correctly? I am led to believe that some are smaller than others surround wise and this the fit let's moisture in.

Im Sure I read some where that jap and uk headlight bulbs are different sizes and it's easy to mix them up (I.e uk lights but jap size bulbs etc)