The mkiv Supra Owners Club

anyone got 500-550bhp auto

Rob_Mitchell

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've run loads of stock auto boxes with an oil cooler at around 550bhp mark and never had one blow up before, and they've been running for years like that. Dont know what happens if you go over that though. Got a couple of long term customers running 1.7 bar on T61's with cams so they must be pushing close to 600bhp and they are fine also. If 550bhp is all you want the stock box will be ok if you ask me.

We've run loads of stock auto boxes with an oil cooler at around 550bhp mark and never had one blow up before, and they've been running for years like that. Dont know what happens if you go over that though. Got a couple of long term customers running 1.7 bar on T61's with cams so they must be pushing close to 600bhp and they are fine also. If 550bhp is all you want the stock box will be ok if you ask me.

:yeahthat:

Why the GReddy intake manifold? I'd keep things simple and use the stock manifold.

i did expect someone to come up with that question.

i want to keep under the bonnet a bit minimal and i just love the manifold mate if im honest.

im having loads of fun with my show car and got loads of chrome etc but i might change plans on this build and keep things less in your face with the bling... less is more?

i want to keep under the bonnet a bit minimal and i just love the manifold mate if im honest.

im having loads of fun with my show car and got loads of chrome etc but i might change plans on this build and keep things less in your face with the bling... less is more?

You'll also add around 40hp with the manifold and like you say if you like the decluttered look it works a treat :)

You'll also add around 40hp with the manifold and like you say if you like the decluttered look it works a treat :)

I have just bought a new plenum and I'm doing a little project which us quite interesting, ive bought a veilside replica style plenum and I'm getting it modifeid and machined to house the stock throttle body and all the sensors from the stock plenum so I can run my aem fic.

It will then illuminate any coldstart problems and be as good as stock with hopefully 40-50 bhp more.

Cost wise I will let u know mate, could be a good thing for other people wanting a nice plenum without all the extra problems.

Maybe with a bigger turbo, but with say a T61 I'd be surprised if it'd make much difference.

I agree Nic I think u need a certain size turbo and need to be running high boost levels, however and I understand the stock plenum and manifold are good for 1000bhp+ but if u had the same car running let's say 800bhp and changed the plenum u would defo have a power increase from stock as resistance is less with these performance plenums of up to 20%.

This has to apply to smaller setups running bigger boost level of 1.7+ let's say!

I know a little bit about minimal Rob ;)

I know a little bit about minimal Rob ;)

mate i know and its yours and jamesy's fault im in this mess :D

this is going to sound so silly but where does all the components which are bolted around the engine go? do i need everything still?

i know i need a tt auto loom :search: but i have no abs which cleans that area up.

is it just a case of getting a turbo kit,intercooler,gearbox cooler,injectors, mapable ecu,throttle body, and im nearly half way there or is there loads more i need.??? list would come in handy :(

I have to agree with hodge, if its down to money and u are limited to power with the stock box your like me!

U could go for a much bigger set up but would need a built box, and we all know there not cheap mate!

Rob here's a list of what u will need to go single, getting a proper kit eliminates allot of the ball ache parts and I would advise it.

Here we go!

Turbo kit

Or

Turbo

Exhaust manifold

Downpipe

Oil & water lines and all adapters for turbo (nightmare job without the kits sometimes)

Induction kit

Air filter

Blow off valve

Turbo hot side intercooler/bov pipe work

That's what I got with my hks turbo kit

Suitable exhaust system

264 in/ex cams

Fmic

Fmic fitting kit

Possible new water hoses

Sports rad

New Anti Freeze

Sandwich plate

Oil cooler engine (large 19-30 row)

Oil cooler gearbox (large 19-30 row)

Oil cooler pas (small/medium 10 row)

Oil lines for all the above and fittings and fitting kits

Oil filter

Oil 5/15w

Fuel rail

Injectors

Resistor pack (if low res)

Inj clips

Fuel regulator

Fuel dampner

Fuel filter

Fuel lines

Fuel pumps

Modified fuel hanger

New coil pack clips/inners

New plugs

Possible new coil packs

Breather system and air filters

Catcher tank

New expansion tank (sports rad)

Relocate battery cables ( greddy plenum)

Throttle body

Ecu?

Mapping sensor?

Egt gauge

Afr gauge

Oil pressure gauge

Oil temp gauge

Gearbox oil temp gauge

Water temp gauge

Fuel pressure gauge

Boost gauge

All fitting kits and senders for above

Wideband controller

Boost controller

I'm sure people will add to the list, but there's an idea rob;)

Edited by wallis (see edit history)