The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cams, really all that

Bailey.

I think its been proved time and again that porting a supra head achieves pretty much nothing on a bhp per £ basis. Bigger valves yes porting imo is a waste of money on a car used for say dreg racing, you may get a little more driveability but Im happy with bigger valves and some nice smoothing round the seats.

Straight enough answer :)

Damn the japanese and there thermal dynamic's theory for exhaust flow. Think duration is more important to the exhaust flow than lift thats for dam sure hence why staggered cams work a treat.

Anyway back on topic :D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As i said it depends what power you want, big cams for big revs and big power, there is always a trade off, 264's will drop in with a reshim, as will 272's but i would do springs etc to make the most of them and rev higher, then you are into changing rod bolts if you want the revs, it goes on and on.

Bung the turbo kit on and see what it feels like to you would be my advice.

HKS only recommend using stock springs with all of their camshafts for the Supra.

False economy then.....his choice to agree or disagree

Not for the price he paid for the kit;) the header and WG and injectors are worth more with no turbo, he has already said he is thinking about upgrading later and there is nothing else will be needed to bolt a better newer turbo on later so I really dont see your point, if anything it comes across as a bit snobby as in 'if you havent got the money don't do it'. How is it false economy to get a single car on the road for under 2K plus the cost of an ecu.???????

Bit like somebody putting up a pic of there first property purchase and going up and saying thats a bit of a shithole mate why don't you save up for another 10 years and get a proper house.

Guys chill out it's all groovy;-)

I have the money for a full brand new build but at the end of the day I'm 24 saving for a mortgage and my cash work is paying for the build, the cars also having new oil and water pumps full service with belts and plugs etc, as well as a standalone ecu and rps clutch and

Flywheel , but as dude says the kits a bargain, and I couldn't say no! I've spoke to plenty of people with t88s and yes there an old turbo but make good power! And whTs shakes, if o don't like it it can be upgraded at a later date!!!

Back to cams..........

Not for the price he paid for the kit;) the header and WG and injectors are worth more with no turbo, he has already said he is thinking about upgrading later and there is nothing else will be needed to bolt a better newer turbo on later so I really dont see your point, if anything it comes across as a bit snobby as in 'if you havent got the money don't do it'. How is it false economy to get a single car on the road for under 2K plus the cost of an ecu.???????

Bit like somebody putting up a pic of there first property purchase and going up and saying thats a bit of a $#@!hole mate why don't you save up for another 10 years and get a proper house.

Sorry...I have to disagree with this approach.

I agree with homer and jamie on this one - far sensible way of doing it.

His money - his choice...

Do you mean this quote from Jamie

:innocent:

we had a T88 on a stock block make over 550 @ 1.4 bar the other dayso 600 will be no problem with cams and a decent ecu;)

My car made 549 bhp on SRR @ 1.3 bar on my T88, stock block and stock jspec cams. Im running Power FC at the min.

I will actually have some figures for you to compare HKS 264's vs standard jspec on a T88 in a few weeks when mine are fitted, I would like to think I could get around 650 with more boost and cams etc.

@ BailyJDM if you want any info or feedback on your setup (as it sounds very similar to what I run, just let me know.

For the record I quite like my T88... Old but a strong turbo to have, it gives a good kick even at low boost on mine. When you get used to when they come online properly you can use the gears to keep in the powerband pretty well. Don't let these guys put you off, you will still shit yourself the first time you drive it lol

So summing up so far, pretty much all of us say the say thing - bung the T88 with the stock cams and see how you feel. Once you decide on the next stage of mods and the final turbo choice, only then think about the best cam choice to suit your needs

Don't let these guys put you off, you will still shit yourself the first time you drive it lol

I don't think anyone is saying don't fit the T88, as you say they do make good power and due to the late and agressive spool feel very quick indeed. They tend to feel quicker than the actual power due to the rapid increase in torque over a short rpm range (similar to the 2nd turbo kick on a BPU jspec car).

You're right that it'll feel very fast, especially if not being used to 500+ bhp cars :)

The only other turbo mentioned has been the Precision 6765 which also responds well to higher boost and revs so either way he should fit cams, either 264's or 272's or SRD equivalents will be fine and an improvement over stock, get some decent management and run it at 1.7 bar and see what 600 hp feels like.;)

I would say a T88 is not aggresive at all myself, boost comes in very smoothly on my old red car when i first got it, i use to get great traction in the wet it was so smooth.

I had a T88 on stock cams few years back, 1.8 bar it made 615bhp on a maha dyno, stock cams was holding the power back, dyno graph is on my old pc i think, will see if i can find it.

T88 will still make for a fast car, it is ok if you run lots of boost, they dont seem to wake up till about 1.8bar, They dont hit in hard like modern turbos and they are a bit laggy, if you have a stock rev limit you find by the time it gets on boost in first gear you have to change gear, they are ok from second gear onwards.

Sorry imi I don't think you talkin sense, I don't get your beef, for the spec I would have, the cAr would owe me 13k most people say buying one done is the cheaper thing to do, but I see yours is done and up for £16k!!!! I intend to keep the car for a long long time, so im not worried About losing money! But pleAse give a good explanation for your comments,if you want to make a stand! Because as far as I'm concerned your comments are not helpful, in anyway shape or form!!

Edited by Bailey. (see edit history)

My car made 549 bhp on SRR @ 1.3 bar on my T88, stock block and stock jspec cams. Im running Power FC at the min.

I will actually have some figures for you to compare HKS 264's vs standard jspec on a T88 in a few weeks when mine are fitted, I would like to think I could get around 650 with more boost and cams etc.

@ BailyJDM if you want any info or feedback on your setup (as it sounds very similar to what I run, just let me know.

For the record I quite like my T88... Old but a strong turbo to have, it gives a good kick even at low boost on mine. When you get used to when they come online properly you can use the gears to keep in the powerband pretty well. Don't let these guys put you off, you will still $#@! yourself the first time you drive it lol

With your comments and that of Jamie p I have alot of enthusiasm for the build! Everyone is different, everybody like something different, I'm use to a single car bur on an rx7, which was at full boost of 1.1 bar by 4k rpm running a blitz k27!

I am thankful for all your comments on the subject and will be in contact with dude tomorrow ref cost of shimming and fitting cams, and springs!!! Didn't want it to get into a slanting match, where here to support each other, not put others down!

Just a thought, have you weighed up the costs of getting the car mapped with the T88 and then paying again later to get it remapped with whatever future turbo you choose? Yes it will cost you to buy a new turbo, but you could match the cams now and only have to map the car once.

Not criticising your approach, but personally if I was paying for the build I would bite the bullet and do the lot all at once.

With your comments and that of Jamie p I have alot of enthusiasm for the build! Everyone is different, everybody like something different, I'm use to a single car bur on an rx7, which was at full boost of 1.1 bar by 4k rpm running a blitz k27!

I am thankful for all your comments on the subject and will be in contact with dude tomorrow ref cost of shimming and fitting cams, and springs!!! Didn't want it to get into a slanting match, where here to support each other, not put others down!

To be honest mate the thing about forums is u will always get loads of different views...most of the tie 80% of it is bollox ...you bought the T88 kit as you wanted it - job done ;)

you know what u want and where you're going with it just enhoy the ride and do it the way you (and whoever is building it) suggest.

to think this thread only started off asking about cams :rolleyes:

I would say a T88 is not aggresive at all myself, boost comes in very smoothly on my old red car when i first got it, i use to get great traction in the wet it was so smooth.

I had a T88 on stock cams few years back, 1.8 bar it made 615bhp on a maha dyno, stock cams was holding the power back, dyno graph is on my old pc i think, will see if i can find it.

T88 will still make for a fast car, it is ok if you run lots of boost, they dont seem to wake up till about 1.8bar, They dont hit in hard like modern turbos and they are a bit laggy, if you have a stock rev limit you find by the time it gets on boost in first gear you have to change gear, they are ok from second gear onwards.

The one I drove was not like that at all - stock engine with 272 HKS cams, but had only a piggyback ECU and "japanese" map. It was smooth but had a steep torque build, the power build was very agressive and late, but did "feel" very quick, even though it wasn't all that fast in real terms.

Maybe it was a badly mapped one!

Either way, I still think reading the OP's responses the best option would be to get the turbo on and everything setup and running before making expensive decisions on items like cams.

Nic i may like it, who knows, it just seems a waste of a perfectly good turbo to not use it! Mapping around £400!)??? Igbo drive it for 6 months and don't like it I lose that amount, if I don't try it and buy the billet imposing well over a £1000! I have to get this across, it's jot about the cashish, it's about making the rite choices, I will pm the dude with t88 later, but I hAd a long chat with. Guy who was an importer, and as he said, once your on boost, your not coming off unless your changing at 5k rpm, still

A alot of thinking to do,

To be honest mate the thing about forums is u will always get loads of different views...most of the tie 80% of it is bollox ...you bought the T88 kit as you wanted it - job done ;)

you know what u want and where you're going with it just enhoy the ride and do it the way you (and whoever is building it) suggest.

to think this thread only started off asking about cams :rolleyes:

This is ment to be a happy time going single not bitterness, I can talk To the mrs about it to get that,,,,, lol

The one I drove was not like that at all - stock engine with 272 HKS cams, but had only a piggyback ECU and "japanese" map. It was smooth but had a steep torque build, the power build was very agressive and late, but did "feel" very quick, even though it wasn't all that fast in real terms.

Maybe it was a badly mapped one!

Either way, I still think reading the OP's responses the best option would be to get the turbo on and everything setup and running before making expensive decisions on items like cams.

Always apprieciate your comment fella.......

Do you mean this quote from Jamie

:innocent:

nope.... refer to post 2, 4 and 6.....that pretty much sums up the right approach for ME.

Sorry imi I don't think you talkin sense, I don't get your beef,

You are entitled to your own opinion and I dont have any "beef"

for the spec I would have, the cAr would owe me 13k most people say buying one done is the cheaper thing to do, but I see yours is done and up for £16k!!!!

check my sale thread again - you got the price wrong.

I intend to keep the car for a long long time, so im not worried About losing money! But pleAse give a good explanation for your comments,if you want to make a stand! Because as far as I'm concerned your comments are not helpful, in anyway shape or form!!

that's good - do it right (for whatever your objectives are) and enjoy it for years to come.

I dont know who you are and what your skills are, I am not a mechanic so I pay for labour and tuning, etc. so to me getting a turbo fitted as a temporary measure for 6-12 months (especially one that will be strangled without the supporting mods and run like a dog - street driving) and then changing it to another setup later will cost more in the long run and hence false economy.

Hence my comment of agreeing with Jamie's and Homer's approach......

Edited by imi (see edit history)

nope.... refer to post 2, 4 and 6.....that pretty much sums up the right approach for ME.

that's good - do it right (for whatever your objectives are) and enjoy it for years to come.

I dont know who you are and what your skills are, I am not a mechanic so I pay for labour and tuning, etc. so to me getting a turbo fitted as a temporary measure for 6-12 months (especially one that will be strangled without the supporting mods and run like a dog - street driving) and then changing it to another setup later will cost more in the long run and hence false economy.

Your mad mate, the posts are saying stick with stock cams nothing about 'the correct way to do a conversion' like you said your not a mechanic so how can you offer an opinion on how a guy should build his car, too many chiefs not enough Indians in this thread, im off:innocent:

f**k sake mate turn it in will ya??

Your mad mate, the posts are saying stick with stock cams nothing about 'the correct way to do a conversion' like you said your not a mechanic so how can you offer an opinion on how a guy should build his car, too many chiefs not enough Indians in this thread, im off:innocent:

FFS....

I can as I own a single and have gone through the process and have personal experience - its not rocket science...

Plus - I have already said that I agree with Jamie and Homer on this one.

not sure what your issue is.......and why youre turning this into an argument when there is nothing to even discuss - seems more personal more than anything..... :rolleyes:

stay off.

f**k sake mate turn it in will ya??

stay out of it.....thanks

Edited by imi (see edit history)

FFS....

I can as I own a single and have gone through the process and have personal experience - its not rocket science...

Plus - I have already said that I agree with Jamie and Homer on this one.

not sure what your issue is.......and why youre turning this into an argument when there is nothing to even discuss - seems more personal more than anything..... :rolleyes:

stay off.

stay out of it.....thanks

This aint your thread.

You aren't talking sense

You are mis-quoting and mis-reading people

You are making yourself sound a bit of a t!t.

I'd advise YOU to stay out of it mate before you embarass yourself further ;)

The OP asked about cams....NOT your opinion on his single conversion route.