The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thinking of going parrallel

fastcar

Intresting stuff. Maybe I might try it for a very short run and see how it feels. If I think it's better suited for me then will get and ecu and map it properly for TTC. I'm definitely going to go single turbo in the future. So do u think it would be worth going for a stand alone for TTC or just get a piggyback for now.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Stock V-Spec GTR was well on boost by 2500 and at 0.9 made BPU supra power. Why do Supra turbo's lag more and require more boost to make the same power form 400 more cc?

More curiosity than criticism.

The pipe work on the gtr is optimised for running parallel as they are like that from stock.

The supra was designed as sequential so has much more complex pipe work. If you redesigned the manifold setup around the stock turbos just to run parellel you would have much better spool.

The pipe work on the gtr is optimised for running parallel as they are like that from stock.

The supra was designed as sequential so has much more complex pipe work. If you redesigned the manifold setup around the stock turbos just to run parellel you would have much better spool.

So basically, if Toyota had done an optimised parallel system it would have been much the same in performance as the sequential twin set up but about half the weight and complexity and without any of the weird boost delivery issues?

So basically, if Toyota had done an optimised parallel system it would have been much the same in performance as the sequential twin set up but about half the weight and complexity and without any of the weird boost delivery issues?

No, because it still wouldn't have spooled as quick as the sequential system but would be better than the 3200- 3600rpm most people see when they go ttc.

With the sequential system the response is instant from very low rpm which is how they intended it.

No, because it still wouldn't have spooled as quick as the sequential system but would be better than the 3200- 3600rpm most people see when they go ttc.

With the sequential system the response is instant from very low rpm which is how they intended it.

So when in sequential mode what boost can they make at what rpm?

No a Stage one (or BPU) GTR makes 390bhp at 1 bar. All mine had was a pair of Greddy filters, a HKS Superdragger & (Abbey Down & Decat pipes), a re-drilled restrictor pill and a Abbey chip in the stock ecu.

Ahh, when you mentioned stock I thought you meant for the rest of the sentence :D

Makes boost really fast though. I think I am hitting 1.0bar around 2700 in sequential mode. I would need to check it to be sure.

I'm guessing the turbo's in the GTR are smaller? That is the only reason I can make sense of it spooling faster than a 3.0l. Is 1.0bar the max before going outwith the efficiency? If so that may support the theory.

Ahh, when you mentioned stock I thought you meant for the rest of the sentence :D

Makes boost really fast though. I think I am hitting 1.0bar around 2700 in sequential mode. I would need to check it to be sure.

I'm guessing the turbo's in the GTR are smaller? That is the only reason I can make sense of it spooling faster than a 3.0l. Is 1.0bar the max before going outwith the efficiency? If so that may support the theory.

1bar is the max before the ceramic stock turbines fall out the exhaust :D

Are CT12's bigger than Nissan Spec GT25's?

Why do people runn TTC then?

With the sequential system you go from 0g acceleration to say for arguements sake, 0.2g of acceleration to start off with then up to 0.4g of acceleration as the first turbo comes in and then to 0.6g of acceleration as the second turbo comes in. So you're feeling 2g increments of acceleration.

With a parallel set-up you you'd go from 0.2g to 0.6g as the second turbo comes in, so you get a single big 0.4g push into the back of your seat, so it makes you think you're making the jump into hyperspace.

However when you look look at the area under the acceleration curve, the twin set-up will have a bigger area and therefore would have covered more ground.

With a single turbo you go from 0.2g, round to 0.8g, which bends space and you actually start travelling backwards in time. :)

1bar is the max before the ceramic stock turbines fall out the exhaust :D

Are CT12's bigger than Nissan Spec GT25's?

I'm guessing they are as they run 1.2bar quite safely. They aren't particularly efficient so I'm guessing it is the size that is a bit different.

Anybody (probably in the US) modified the stock exhaust manifold and intake system to more efficiently run the stock turbos in parallel?

I use to preferred the linear power delivery of the turbos running in parallel, but you do have to get use to driving around the lack of power low down by keeping in a lower gear and keeping the rpms up. Having said that going to the GT35R showed just how stupidly laggy the stock turbos were in comparison to a small DBB single turbo.

I did one years and years ago for someone in the UK who was emigrating to Oz, and a few months later I found an Australian firm detailing my exact concept and machining as their own :( It worked OK, but I didn't see the point of it all, however, I was being paid well, and it was no skin off my nose if it undid Toyota's no doubt eye wateringly expensive development :)

In my personal opinion Dont go TTC, It was nice for about a week because it was different and sounded (louder) :rolleyes: But I found it far to laggy, and that was specifically mapped on a piggy back unit to run TTC. I have recently changed back to sequentual, by far the better setup on stock twins, as toyota intended. :p

Just my 2 pence worth anyway:d

With the sequential system you go from 0g acceleration to say for arguements sake, 0.2g of acceleration to start off with then up to 0.4g of acceleration as the first turbo comes in and then to 0.6g of acceleration as the second turbo comes in. So you're feeling 2g increments of acceleration.

With a parallel set-up you you'd go from 0.2g to 0.6g as the second turbo comes in, so you get a single big 0.4g push into the back of your seat, so it makes you think you're making the jump into hyperspace.

However when you look look at the area under the acceleration curve, the twin set-up will have a bigger area and therefore would have covered more ground.

With a single turbo you go from 0.2g, round to 0.8g, which bends space and you actually start travelling backwards in time. :)

Off topic, but in the same vein, that is why the six speed feels faster than the auto,(ignoring twin turbo system ups and downs) The auto just accelerates constantly through the gears, while acceleration rises and falls with each gear change in the six speed. So you get a longer gentle shove in the auto, while you get repeated more agressive shoves after each gear change in the six speed. So unless you are an absolute master of gear changes the auto is quicker to accelerate.

Slight exaggeration, but full boost by 3.180RPM, see this post and my data log, i remember IanC doubted my claim but the log doesn't lie;)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=1201459&postcount=33

As if I would :D

Thing is, all this talk of "full boost by x revs" is pretty meaningless unless you know what load is on the engine. I bet you could see full boost in TTC even earlier if you're in 6th gear going uphill pulling a caravan. Which is also exactly why unmapped TTC is so iffy, as the stock ECU runs 14:1 AFRs below 4000rpm even when on boost, as it's only expecting one turbo at 0.7bar ;)

-Ian