The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car back & Interior In

Stonkin

22 is water temp sensor and 78 is fuelpump control signal.

The mechanic that fixed it replaced the fuel filter and re soldered the wires for the coolant temp sensor. Stupid question but i presume that is the water temp sensor?

edit, Cheers Dave. What can i check or any advice on these?

My bibles are at the workshop I only have autodata here and that does not have checking procedures with it for the supe. you will need to measure the resistance that coolant sensor has. also check the fuel pump hose it could have kinked or the filter sock could be blocked.

The 22 code could just be a loose connection/poor wiring and *will* cause idle issues if the ECU is getting a duff reading

78 could depend on how you have your fual pump control wired up. Ideally it should be stock, but may have some aftermarket stuff going on as that was common a while ago when Charlie had the car done. Is it possible you could have disturbed anything by the ECU while you were doing the work?

I have the manuals here so if you need diagnosis steps for each let me know and I'll try and scan them.

PS: Great work on the interior, the died carpet alone makes such a difference to the freshness of the cabin :)

Well last night i unplugged the water temp sensor, gave it a blow and plugged it back and it started fine. Drove it for an hour and it was still fine giving it a run this morning. So not sure if its ok or not but seems fine. Strange that the mechanic resoldered a connection on for that sensor so maybe it wasnt on quite right.

What i have noticed over last couple of days is that on low boost (1.0 bar) its only making about 0.89 boost and on high boost (1.4 bar) its making 0.95. Even when the manifold was cracked it was still making the correct boost levels.

Its an avcr boost controller, will i need to adjust the duty levels to get it up to what it should be? Its had a new exhaust manifold gasket, so unless he has fitted something smaller? Was a bit wary of just upping the duty as dont really feel i should have to.

ps. cheers Homer, its a facelift black carpet though, not dyed :)

Yes Bobbeh, it is my own car :)

Also, after driving the car in the dark last night, the led conversion and new dials, i have to say look absolutely stunning. Its completely modernised the look at night time :)

Edited by Stonkin (see edit history)

Just been out to do a few tests. It doesnt seem like the boost controller is doing anything different between hi and low boost. Only thing i didnt do was turn it off completely and see what boost that made.

Is there anything the mechanic could have put back wrong to do with the plumbing of the boost controller when he removed the manifold, downpipe, wastegate etc ?

Yes, potentially quite a lot could have been done wrong. I was going to suggest this as the issue yesterday but didn't reply for some reason!

Check that the In and Out from the BC solenoid are properly connected. The In should go to the compressor, the out to the wastegate (I think!!)

Right, here's the apexi valve

The blue silicon pipe goes to the turbo via the T piece. This is labelled NO on the valve, or ON depedning which way up it is :)

The other cable goes down to the wastegate. Both are connected firmly. That seems right to me?

I've just found this crack in the downpipe! With the engine just started so i could get my finger close enough to the pipe i could feel it leaking, and that was just at idle.

Stupid question time but could this be the cause of it not boosting properly?