The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cutting the dash... but nicely!

mawby

We have a winner. :) It's the one that came with the panel and not my original one which I want it swap it for, but either way I need to know how to remove the little bugger as I gave it plenty of tugging :blink: and it felt like the dash panel would break before the knob came of.

The knob on the front needs to be pulled off (oh err), then you undo the little hex nut behind it to release the switch unit

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The knob on the front needs to be polled off (oh err), then you undo the little hex nut behind it to release the switch unit
Any suggestions for how to do that? It doesn't really stick out far enough to grab so I'm guessing it a careful screwdriver job?

What have you got as a warning light to tell you that your rear fogs are on?

I had a spare dash filter from an old Celica. I cut a shape the same as the top right warning cluster and wired up a connection to the bulb behind to the fog switch im currently using from a Lexus.

What have you got as a warning light to tell you that your rear fogs are on?
The brake light failure bulb, the orange one on here..

21072010122.jpg

I had a spare dash filter from an old Celica. I cut a shape the same as the top right warning cluster and wired up a connection to the bulb behind to the fog switch im currently using from a Lexus.
I was contemplating cutting up my Celica to use the filter but in the end I just couldn't do it to the poor old thing! :)

Why not just take the dash panel out and switch the dimmer switch with your original one?

I intend to, I just wasn't sure if there was a trick to getting it off as neither seemed to want to give and I didn't want to break either of them.

I shall give it a go tomorrow, thanks :)
And so I did. I found the best way to remove them without scratching anything was to push some baling twine under the button with the end of some wire and then rock the knob back and forth whilst gently pulling on the twine, like so...

31072010154.jpg

31072010155.jpg

31072010156.jpg

31072010157.jpg

• 8 months later...

As per post #45 I used a connector from the stock amp which fits the back of the switch perfectly with a little mod. I then took a feed from the mirror switch to illuminate the fog switch when the lights are on, and then the switch simply isolates the power feed to my rear fog light.

As I have a separate rear fog light my wiring schematics are very simple, but it shouldn't be difficult to substitute your existing switch for the UK one.

• 4 years later...