The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cutting the dash... but nicely!

mawby

Yeah sorry guys can't remember the part numbers. Just spoke to Paul Whiffin and he got them in for me. The panel was about £40 and the switch £35.

Mawby if you get stuck wiring it all together let me know. My brother is an Auto electrician and did the install for me including the warning panel lamp. Looked quite straight forward but I wasn't the one doing it :)

He has done mine so that two of the brake lights come on when depressed, still leaving the other two for normal use. Once switched off all brake lights work as normal.

The only thing I did have extra was a connector for the back of the fog switch so that I had a neat connection, again so it looked like factory when the dash is removed. I had a spare UK Spec dash loom hanging around. Might be worth speaking to AFR or Keron to see if he has on lying around. If not I will see if I have another as a couple of the plugs can be made to fit, it's just a case of removing a tab.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My rear fog switch is from a Lexus IS. Only £5 from ebay. Perfect fit. But would also be interested in an OEM supra fog switch - part number.

Does anyone know if its a latching switch or needs a relay to make it work.

Edit - Sorry entered duff info there and then read Mawby's post stating that it was a latching switch!!

There's a write up about doing the wiring for an oem switch. Also, for having a warning light, which you will need due to the switch not being illuminated. But you already knew that.

As for the cutting and finishing, the only way I saw around it was to either get a uk dash panel or cover the dash. Went for the latter. Oh, and Vince of Gibson trimming is doing it for me, which helps. Doesn't really help you, but I'll post up some pics when he's done, may be worth thinking about?

I dont think it will. They are quite different in shape.

Cheers, that part number for the switch would be great.

Does anyone know if the rear fog switch would fit in one of the holes under the stereo or will it only fit where it's supposed to be, by the ignition?

Guest Snaps

All of the buttons only fit where they're meant to, the holes aren't universal, all of the trac control, seat heater, active spoiler, headlight washer, rear fog and headlight level adjuser switch mountings are different.

So you're saying the fog light switch from a UK dash...

attachment.jpeg

..definitely wont fit where the mirror retractor switch goes on a J-spec dash?

P1010296.jpg

There in the same place so it would be a shame if Toyota changed the switch mounting for no good reason.

There in the same place so it would be a shame if Toyota changed the switch mounting for no good reason.

If you could post a picture showing the lugs on either side of the fog lamp switch I can check it against my panel (jspec with folding mirror switch)

If you could post a picture showing the lugs on either side of the fog lamp switch I can check it against my panel (jspec with folding mirror switch)
Excellent thanks, I've left it in the lock-up now but I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

At the same time can you note down the part number(s) so I can verify I'm getting the right one if I find one for sale. (I say numbers because there are two on the back on mine for some reason?)

If I remember correctly the only thing stopping each being used in another is a single tag of plastic. I removed these allowing me to move the fog switch to the middle position next to my mirror switch at the top. This was on the UK spec panel I bought.
Yep that would make sense. I'm hoping it will fit fine where the mirror switch goes.

Did you manage to get a proper blanking plate for the third hole then? I've only ever seen a blanking plate on that panel on the LHD US versions where they have two holes and just a fog light switch.

On closer inspection of my panel you can actually see where the buttons would go. It's just saying to me "Go on, give it go, try cutting me out" but I know it will end badly if I do!

24072010131.jpg

It's just saying to me "Go on, give it go, try cutting me out" but I know it will end badly if I do!

Easy enough mate.Just put a few drill holes in the centre, and then just gently file it away to the edges.

Take you're time, and you can't go wrong mate ;)

How many pins at the back of the switch and is it defiantly a latching type switch?
4. Feed in, feed out, power to illuminate the bulb when the lights are on, and an earth. And yes it is definitely latching.

have you got any holes left under where the stereo goes ? ive got a spare switch that fits in those holes pucker
That's where my current switch is and I don't like it there.

21072010120.jpg

All looks good from those pics Mawby, the locators on my folding mirror switch are in the same location.
Excellent, thanks. Looks like I just need to get hold of one of those panels then.

Well my new panel arrived and I've fitted it. I think it's safe to say I wouldn't have been able to cut the dash as nicely.

30072010150.jpg

But can anyone spot what's wrong with this picture and advise how I can fix it?

Also, in case anyone else goes this route, if you have removed your stock amp then one of the connectors that goes into the amp under the passengers seat will actually fit the UK switch if you cut out one of the tabs and move one of the wires, as can be seen in the attachments.

EDIT TO ADD - The connector I've used is live even with the ignition off so disconnect the battery first and make sure you insulate the wires properly before re-connecting the battery.

20072010102.jpg

20072010104.jpg

20072010105.jpg

20072010106.jpg

Is your dimmer upside down?
We have a winner. :) It's the one that came with the panel and not my original one which I want it swap it for, but either way I need to know how to remove the little bugger as I gave it plenty of tugging :blink: and it felt like the dash panel would break before the knob came of.

Your dash lights are on but no key in the ignition? I expect you have one of the wires mixed up and it's causing a live feed to the dash illumination circuit.

Edit- actually, guess that's just the flash on your funky gauges :D

Your dash lights are on but no key in the ignition? I expect you have one of the wires mixed up and it's causing a live feed to the dash illumination circuit.

Edit- actually, guess that's just the flash on your funky gauges :D

My dash lights are on because I had the lights on! :rlol: