The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone know this VVTi? Should I buy it?

Pete

How did you fix the aerial?

It's a common problem, most likely the toothed plastic that's inside the aerial has snapped.

Buy a replacement mast from Toyota.

Remove the nut on the aerial, switch on the radio and it should push out the mast together with the plastic toothed rod. The end piece should be tapered, just need to check its all come out- compare with the new one. If it hasn't all come out you'll have to remove the complete aerial and take it out.

Start to feed in the new mast, not sure which way the toothed bit should be orientated (check old one), get someone to switch the radio off and it will pull the mast back in and then put the nut back on.

Good luck with the car! :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't know why but the colour just looks wrong...must be the camera...trick of the light thing...I'm sure in person it's fine. Have a look at my pics in my garage to see what I mean.

The Orange non-facelift blobs are a bit worrying...why would they be put on instead?

Nice find - always get an RAC/AA inspection it can be a life saver.

PS PM me your budget ;)

Definately the right colour - it did look very different on 'film'.

I can only assume they used the orange indicators as they looked nice in contrast with the blue? They didn't bother changing the loom so the sockets are loose in the back..weird.

Good idea about the inspection. It's from a garage so will have a warranty that I'll inspect closely. It'll be going straight to ChrisW for an inspection and I can claim anything back on the warranty.

On paper it appears to be a 97 model with 2 previous UK owners.

The lack of service history needs to be investigated, or else even the 60K mileage might be questionable.

I say take an experienced member with you to see the car, you never know what they may find.

£10K is an OK price for a TT of that description, IF the condition is what you think it is. (it's a slow market now)

Has it got a boost gauge? without it you cannot know if it goes well due to being mechanically sound, or just bumped-up boost that could translate into big bills for you later on.

If you're interested in buying it then you're not the best person to judge it anyway, get someone else to play "devil's advocate" and follow you with their car as you boot it to check for smoke.

(VVTIs are not as tunable, as you might already know)

Maybe worth a second look, proceed with caution...

Has it got a boost gauge? without it you cannot know if it goes well due to being mechanically sound, or just bumped-up boost that could translate into big bills for you later on.

Facelift TTs come with them as standard so unless someones taken it out it should have one.

It has the standard guage as Faye said. There didn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary (devices etc) which would allow boost control. What would I look for in the engine bay? All looked like standard.

The boost guage went fairly high on full boost - but not off the needle or anything..

Quite happy with the performance - it'll be a daily driver so this isn't an issue. Also keeps insurance down of course. Maybe intercooler, decat (and whatever you need to support), few guages to keep an eye on, decent replacement exhaust. That's it really.

It has the standard guage as Faye said. There didn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary (devices etc) which would allow boost control. What would I look for in the engine bay? All looked like standard.

The boost guage went fairly high on full boost - but not off the needle or anything..

Pete, check out what exhaust it has fitted (full straight through system, or does it just have rear back box) and if it still have the cats fitted. If one or both cats have been removed this will raise the boost.

I'd agree with John, if you can, take someone along with you who knows the Supra, as they will be able to test it to see if it is driving as it should. Hopefully everything will check out fine and you can get it at a good price.

Pete, check out what exhaust it has fitted (full straight through system, or does it just have rear back box) and if it still have the cats fitted. If one or both cats have been removed this will raise the boost.

I'd agree with John, if you can, take someone along with you who knows the Supra, as they will be able to test it to see if it is driving as it should. Hopefully everything will check out fine and you can get it at a good price.

I could still see a cat in place. the exhaust had a fat tip, that goes into a substantial backbox. The piping seemed regular size. It was a fairly cheap system by the look of it.

I can only assume they used the orange indicators as they looked nice in contrast with the blue? They didn't bother changing the loom so the sockets are loose in the back..weird.

Dont worry about the side indicators too much, mine had them fitted to pass the sva. It seems than one sva centre wanted these fitted, and the rest didn't.

I'm not having it.

They'll hold the price at 10k for me but they've put it upto 12k now on the ads.

They wouldn't budge on price for any of the work that needed doing.

There was NO service history at all.

My instincts say don't do it. There's just too many questions and I'm not going to be rushed into it.

Damn... another dream in tatters. :(

I think I am going to scream.

John, all the fantastic tech info I've seen you comment on and you go and say something like that! :rolleyes:

Gaz.

I wasn't gonna go down that road. VVTi's are just as tunable now people have had time to figure it all out.

I'm not having it.

They'll hold the price at 10k for me but they've put it upto 12k now on the ads.

My instincts say don't do it. There's just too many questions and I'm not going to be rushed into it.

You could always buy mine.... full uk service history.. :D leather..active spoiler..:D

I'm not having it.

Only just saw this thread. looks a fair buy to me, but *I personally* would put the side skirts back to stock and remove the rear wing. I love the subtle look on the MKIV. If you want a Tiptronic this looks a decent buy, if it's bodily unabused.

W*nker.

Sorry, but FFS have you not seen mine, Terry's or any of the other highly tuned VVTi's?

As for the mileage verification/service history j-spec's don't come with anything usually. It's always a risk - hence recommending a full inspection.

Rogue - Congrats mate.